It's so simple -- Matthew 24

by cruzanheart 91 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JCanon
    JCanon
    When Jesus returns, I really doubt he's going to hand out rewards because we were good at reading between the lines of what he said and dogmatically saying this applies to this and that applies to that

In the parable of the wise and foolish virgins, the wise virgins are the ones that take the EXTRA OIL (reading between the lines) that get into the kingdom. The lazy attitude of the foolish virgins is one that thinks less is sufficient and that they don't need to be concerned with the extra oil. The result is that when they need the extra oil they don't have it, and even when they do finally get it, they are locked out of the kingdom. So Biblically, the better attitude is to be concerned with as much as we can manage and MORE rather than thinking of ignoring what has been given for our salvation and presuming God will bless us equally well for ignoring parts of the Bible that don't fancy us.

Wise virgins = more knowledge.

Foolish virgins = minimal knowledge.

Do we really want to get into the kingdom at all costs? Or do we presume we can waltz in any old time we want at our own leizure and God will be just delighted we simply showed up?

Canon

• herk
    herk

Tyler,

I'm sorry if my thoughts offend you.
    your empty character assassination you present above.

Would you kindly show me in what sentence I hinted that I was offended? Would you also kindly show in what sentence I engaged in "character assassination"? If these are things you saw in my brief note above, perhaps that explains why you see so much in Matthew 24 that really isn't there.

As for my explanation, please see my longer entry above.

• herk
    herk

Canon,

Apparently you didn't get my point. Nobody here is arguing against Bible knowledge. But mere guesswork and speculation - reading between the lines - does not amount to Bible knowledge.

• JCanon
    JCanon
    What good does prophecy do anyone without the act of love? Even Paul said it was a clashing cymbal.

The parable of the wise and foolish virgins is not about giving up love and choosing prophecy. It's about the EXTRA OIL, that is, having love, which is essential, but ALSO paying attention to the little things.

Remember the scriptures about the last days: "Pay MORE THAN THE USUAL ATTENTION...."

Remember the warning about the last days like Noah's: "People were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage...", everyday things. Just living decent lives. But what happened. The flood suddenly came and swept them away!!!

Remember what MANY will be saying when they find out they are disapproved from God's kingdom: They are at the door and knocking and wanting to get in, and what do they say: "I did this in your name and that in your name." Things they did which were good likely, but was it enough? No! And why not? Because it's what THEY wanted to do and yet they ignored scripture for what God required. God put those prophecies and chronology in the Bible for a reason, not just to be passed over.

To get into the kingdom correctly, you must examine ALL the scriptures closely as best as you can. When you have that ATTITUDE then when it's God's time, you'll understand what you need to. But if you're not even looking, how can God show you?

We must not be sleep spiritually at such a critical time, I don't think. That is, if there was ANY time to be looking at the extra things, prophecies, chronology, whatever, it's now, isn't it?

Canon

• JCanon
    JCanon
    Sorry to 'butt' in again, but I must go with your thoughts. Jesus was masterful (excuse the pun) at keeping things simple. Remember He said... Love God, and Love your neighbor - on that hangs all the laws and the prophets. People try to complicate everything.

Jesus indeed was NOT always about keeping things simple, at least not for the doubters. Remember what Jesus said about speaking in parables? He did that so the outsiders would NOT understand what he was saying, but then he explained things to his followers. So Jesus' messages might appear "simple" to outsiders, but they have hidden meaning for his followers. Plus reference Paul's mentionin the "sacred SECRETS" of scripture, and being upset with some in his day who simply learned the fundamental things which was considered like "milk" yet never graduated to the meat, the deeper things. These deeper things would now choke them because they had no kept up.

Don't forget the wise virgins were very focussed and intent on making sure they had enough knowledge to keep their lamps burning, so they brought EXTRA oil, just in case. The foolish virgins figured they'd have enough with what they had already in their lamps and it turned out not to be the case. This is NOT a time to be emphasizing LESS knowledge, but MORE.

Right?

Canon

• jgnat
    jgnat

The virgins were filling their lamps with KNOWLEDGE? Are you sure?

• herk
    herk

jgnat,

You bring up a good point. The parable of the ten virgins is sandwiched between two other parables that stress preparation by right living, not by an abundance of knowledge. (Matthew 24:45 to 25:30)

In the parable of the faithful and unfaithful servants, one servant was ready for the Lord's return because he was faithfully doing what the Lord expected of him, namely, caring for those in need, whether this need be material, spiritual, or both. The unfaithful servant not only neglected his duties, but he abused the servant who was doing the right things. It should be noted, too, that Jesus showed that a faithful slave could become unfaithful. So, the parable applies to individual Christians who must show themselves to be always ready for their Lord's return, no matter how long it takes.

The same lesson is in the parable of the virgins. The oil in the lamps doesn't represent knowledge since all ten virgins had knowledge that the Lord would return soon. The difference is that the unwise virgins had been negligent. None of the ten lamps were burning before the Lord's return since the account shows that the foolish virgins had brought along no oil at all. The oil was lit by the wise virgins when the Lord arrived. And this seems to be the same message we find in Jesus' instructions to store up treasure for ourselves in heaven where neither moth nor rust consume. Interestingly, Jesus added this thought to those instructions, "The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then your eye is simple, your whole body will be bright; but if your eye is wicked, your whole body will be dark." (Matthew 6:19-23) If we keep our lives simple and seek first God's kingdom and his righteousness, things will go well and we'll be ready for the Lord when he returns. On the other hand, if we pursue wicked works, we will fare badly. (Matthew 6:33)

If the "oil" represents anything, it would point to the holy spirit, not knowledge. In the parable that follows, Jesus showed that each Christian is expected to use wisely the talents he was given according to his own ability. The one punished was the one who hid his talent and failed to use it in service to his master. If he had God's spirit, he certainly would have used it. It is by means of the spirit that humans are transformed and enabled to prepare for the return of their Master and Bridegroom, as indicated by Isaiah 61:1; Zechariah 4:1-6; Acts 10:38; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; and many other texts.

Instead of rewarding us for knowledge, Jesus promises to bless us if we provide food, drink, hospitality, clothing, visits and care to the less fortunate whom he views as his brothers. (Matthew 25:34-40) On the other hand, storing up knowledge enough to know the Bible backwards and forwards will do us no good if we don't use our abilities to demonstrate love for our neighbors. (Matthew 25:41-46)

• Tyler
    Tyler

Herk, the whole spirit or your message saying "you seem pretty dogmatic" implied your taking offence to my post. I have no intention of looking at your entry as you seem to have dissapeared up it all by yourself.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Do you need Jesus or a bible to get you to come to that conclusion? It just is common sense that love brings the most good for ourselves as well as others.

You wonder why there are so many religions in the world that doesn't see that simple truth. How can someone conclude that to blow someone up is going to bring you a better life? Come to think of it the bible is the best example of killing others to bring one into a better life, approved by God. I guess that message got out into the world and it continues till today. I guess Jesus just changed who does the killing, now it's going to be God, with him at the helm to all but the ones on the narrow path, the few that find him!

Ken P.

• herk
    herk

Tyler,

"Dogmatic" simply means expressing a strong opinion without offering adequate proof. I suppose it can suggest arrogance. That's not what I meant. I'm sorry if that's the way I came across.

Nevertheless, your explanation does seem a bit farfetched, and I would like to see what logical basis you have for expressing yourself as you did. I thought I made it clear that I'm not here to start a fight. I simply felt that your theology was begging for an honest opinion.

you seem to have dissapeared up it all by yourself.
    I have no idea what that means.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit