Watchtower = Pharisees

by drwtsn32 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Francois
    Francois

Guidelines my aching fanny.

True Story. I guess I was naive. I didn't know there was a proscription against facial hair. I wasn't an ms, but I was on my way. I did read the WT during the Sunday WT Study.

I decided to grow a beard. One of the rare non-Pharisical elders approached me to congratulate me for my "courage." I was confused. "Courage for what?" I wanted to know.

"They'll never let you on the platform with a beard," he said, "and it's going to cause you a lot of problems."

I couldn't believe it. I'd never heard anything like it. But to make a long story miserable, I was "removed" as a WT reader because I didn't meet their "platform requirements."

I asked them to show me where in scripture they got the right to establish platform requirements.

They admitted they had no such scriptural right, but - they said - the rule was an "organizational requirement."

I asked them to show me where in scripture they got the right to override my conscience with their organizational requirements.

No such scripture. No such right. This lead to lots of other questions they couldn't answer. So. I walked out, never to return. This was back in the mid 70s with Armageddon "right around the corner," too.

Guidelines my ass.

francois

• caligirl
    caligirl

integ -

My husband started the thread on who you would most like to meet, and HE, last time I checked, was not mentioned on the thread. Neither was I, or thousands of others. My point is, don't worry about it! We all come here for our own reasons, and there are so many people here. It doesn't mean anyone means to slight you, just that the people who post the most often have the most admirers- it does not make any one poster better than another or even necessarily more liked, they are just better known because they are more vocal. So try not to take it personally, hang around and get to know people!

• integ
    integ

I guess I was just hoping to "connect" with someone on the board. This has'nt happened yet. There have been some here who have been real cool though, and I appreciate that. I feel that because I am still going to meetings in "body" not "heart", and have'nt completely gotten "out" yet, that this is held against me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I realize this is a big board with a lot of posters. And it does seem to be kind of "cliquey", with a lot of xjw's who have been out for a while. Trust me, I am not some idiot dub with a 40 IQ. I happen to have been raised in the Org, and have a lot of family still in. You can understand how tough it is to deal with this. I know GOPHER that I come off as very whiny, and pouty, or whatever. But take it easy. My goal is not to have everybody "like" me as you put it. It is just to have a dialogue with folks that may be going thru the same kind of things I am right now. This may not be the place I was looking for in that regard. My suggestion that there be a seperate board for "newbies", I believe is a valid one. I guess anyone could start their own if they so choose. No more whining from me. My hope is that someone out there may be where I am at right now, and we could correspond. I realize that this board affords me the opportunity to possibly find such a person, and for that I am grateful.

Thanks,

Integ

• Gopher
    Gopher

Integ --

It sounds like you're going to stick around here, and I'm glad for that. The fact that you're still going to meetings is nothing anyone can judge you about. Several other posters are in "fade" mode because of the dire consequences that would be imposed on them if they suddenly cut off their attendance. You've got plenty of company in this regard.

If it seems "cliquey" here -- just realize that it's human nature to drift toward those with whom we know and are more comfortable. After a while after you've gotten in more posts, people will know you and become more comfortable in your presence here. This is no Kingdom Hall where people put on pretenses (well for the most part). So whatever reaction you get here, just chalk it up to human nature.

If there were some separate board for "newbies", when would you graduate from that to the real board? I think the system works okay. You'll graduate from newby to junior member quite soon. People who wish to go out of their way to encourage newer posters will do so when they see that designation under your name here.

Again it's good to see you here. I hope you enjoy the experience.

• rocketman
    rocketman
    "They'll never let you on the platform with a beard," he said, "and it's going to cause you a lot of problems."

I couldn't believe it. I'd never heard anything like it. But to make a long story miserable, I was "removed" as a WT reader because I didn't meet their "platform requirements."

I asked them to show me where in scripture they got the right to establish platform requirements.

They admitted they had no such scriptural right, but - they said - the rule was an "organizational requirement."

I asked them to show me where in scripture they got the right to override my conscience with their organizational requirements.

No such scripture. No such right. This lead to lots of other questions they couldn't answer.

Here's a perfect example as related by Francois. They can't show you anything in the Bible. And they sometimes even say, 'yes, it's not scripturally wrong, but....' and it's an awfully big 'but' most of the time.

I know a guy who tried growing some facial hair other than a mustache. He got the same 'it's not scripturally wrong, but...' song and dance. The fact is, you will be punished for flouting such rules in one way or another. The punishment varies from not being "used" to being viewed as "weak" and sometimes even worse.

• nowisee
    nowisee

well, ive told this story before, but it is pertinent so ill repeat it....

shortly before i left i asked permission to wear a tailored pants-suit in service (it was during the time when they were very fashionable, even as professional corporate attire) - not to be rebellious, but because northeast winters can be brutal and the sisters froze. it just seemed that we would be breaking no rule of etiquette, and it would only enable us to endure longer hours in service.

the presiding overseer said he personally thought there would be nothing wrong with it and i subsequently wrote a letter to wts asking them if it would be permissible. i wanted to do everything right so before i sent the letter i showed it to the po who absolutely freaked, saying that i could not send the letter because what would brooklyn think of him.

it was then that i realized that they all were pharisees, putting burdens on the flock that had nothing whatsoever to do with scripture. soon after that i NEVER went out in service again.

• quinah
    quinah

Where did the beard rule come from anyway, what the deal on that

• Gopher
    Gopher
    where did the beard rule come from?

I had the "privilege" to give a student talk on the ministry school about this very subject. The source material was a Watchtower article from the 1970's or early 1980's.

The gist of the article was that JW's present a certain image when they go out in the ministry. A beard supposedly aligns its wearer with the "rebellious" elements of society in general. So if you wear a beard, apparently you are making a statement of rebellion against some element of this world.

They wanted JW's to portray themselves as upstanding community people with no "rebelllion" issues.

Never mind that as an Israelite, Jesus himself wore a beard. So to say "wearing a beard is Unchristian" is ignorant, unless Jesus was Unchristian.

• Faraon
    Faraon

I think that it is unfair to compare the Watchtower and its followers to the Pharisees. Compare the following texts of the bible to their teachings or to a more modern interpretation. You will see why.

Matt 3: 7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

7. O generation of worldly people, who warned you to flee from Armageddon, which will occur at the end of the Generation of 1914?

8. Come to the meetings regularly for months, come after and leave before everyone. After that you can sell some books, magazines, and tracts to show repentance. Also get some book studies.

9. Think not to say within yourselves, We have the organization to our mother.

10. And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every publisher which not fulfills their obligations is disfellowshipped and murdered in Armageddon.

Matthew 5:20

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the other sheep, and are not part of the 144,000 ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven

Matthew 9:11-13

And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners? 12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. 13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

And when the Governing Body saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth Ray Franz with his landlord and the disfellowshipped? The ones that are sick must be separated so that they do not contaminate the congo with apostate material.

Matthew 9:14

14 Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not?

They fast. Most of them cannot afford to eat a full meal if they work part-time doing menial jobs. No higher education, you know.

Matthew 9:34

But the Pharisees said, He casteth out devils through the prince of the devils.

But the JWs said, He casteth out Smurfs through the prince of the Smurfs. Anyway, only Jah can cast out devils, or us through prayer to him. That is because he only listens to our prayers.

Matthew 12:2

But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

But when the Superintendents saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the Meeting days. They work, or even dare to get sick.

Matthew 12:14

Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him.

Then the elders went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him by disfellowshiping him and separating him from his family and “friends”.

Matthew 12:38

Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.

Then certain of the NWT translators and of the GB answered, saying, Mister, we would see a dollar sign from thee.

Matthew 15

1 Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,

2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.

Their congregation is a clean one. They teach their followers to clean after every meeting, and to wash their hands one hundred times a day.

Matthew 15

3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

Hey, they honor them if they are in good standing with the congo and are not disfellowshipped, marked, or disassociated.

Matthew 15

8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

The following commandments are clear from the bible:

You must not celebrate birthdays because two people died while celebrating birthdays.

You must not join the YMCA or the Boy/Girl scouts.

You must attend three weekly meetings, publish a minimum of 10 hrs/wk, have a personal study, etc.

You must not display a beard. Especially after Russell is dead.

You must wear a tie if you are a male in a meeting.

You must blindly change your mind to New Light.

You must not vaccinate. This is eating blood, and therefore cannibalism, until the WT changes its mind.

You must not have an organ or tissue transplant. This is cannibalism. See above.

You must not have a transfusion (tissue transplant) unless given in fractions or hemoglobin unless it is from HemoPure and made from cows' milk BLOOD

You must become a conscientious objector to the armed forces, even as a non-combatant until the WT changes its mind.

You must not vote in your country or hold a voters card until the WT changes its mind.

You must use the rod to discipline your kid, unless until she is big enough to beat you back.

You must take false prophecies given by the Watchtower as expectations, and blame yourself. If you don’t believe the current prophecy and say it out loud. You shall be cut off from the WT and destroyed at Armageddon.

Etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam.

• Faraon
    Faraon

Where did the beard rule come from anyway, what the deal on that

It came because Rutheford was jealous of Russell's popularity. Since he could not grow a decent beard, he decreed against it.

The WT even drew Jesus without a beard for a time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit