Watchtower = Pharisees

by drwtsn32 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

The WTS always talks about how wrong it was for the Pharisees to make an endless number of rules. But the WTS is guilty of the same thing. You can't have a beard... you can't watch rated R movies... you must report your field service activity... you cannot go to costume parties... you can have some blood fractions but not whole blood... you can't read any stuff that is against our opinion... yadda yadda yadda.

My mom (an active JW) argues that theses are not rules but only guidelines. Ok, that's more balanced, but the fact is most JWs view anything the WTS says as gospel.

I think it is human nature to want black and white rules to follow so that you can be more confident you're pleasing the big invisible man in the sky.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

But of course! And the more rules you have the less you have to think for yourself and use your heart to motivate you do to the right thing. "Guidelines" my a** -- try ignoring one of those "guidelines" and see how fast you're out!

Nina

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Exactly. My mom surprised me by saying that most of the literature from the WTS is not from God. She is of the opinion that only the two Watchtower study articles are inspired by God's spirit and are rigorously checked by the Governing Body.

Wow, I'm not where she came up with that, but I was surprised to hear an active, strong JW say something other than "all the food from the WTS is directly from God!" Indeed, most Witnesses take it as God's word.

So um, in conclusion, I hate religion. Thank you.

• pralis
    pralis

Hmm. I would disagree with your mom ... the WTS statements ARE rules, not guidelines. If they were merely guidelines, then one wouldn't expect such severe penalties such as the disfellowshipping or "marking" that would occur if one, say, decided NOT to abide by the "guidelines."

And, yes, I too hate religion.

pralis

• shamus
    shamus

Exactly. They are not guidelines, so tell your mom what will happen if she reads any differing opinions while in "good" standing!

Shamus

• proplog2
    proplog2

Does Microsoft, IBM, Ford Motor, Edison Electric, Army, Catholics, have rules?

YUP.

Quit complaining about rules. Some rules are outdated. Good organizations update their rule books.

I think JW's don't officially practice the institution of slavery anymore. Even though the early Christians did. So maybe they'll change some more of their rules some day.

Did you ever try and "sneak" around the rules?

• integ
    integ

I have to agree with the "guideline thing" . I really don't think anyone would get DF'd for going to an R rated movie, or for wearing a beard. Your Mom has got a point here. Would'nt the Pharisees(spelling) cut off your testicles, and hands, and stone you and stuff if you broke their laws? Sorry, just trying to be fair here.

• integ
    integ

correction : You probably WOULD be df'd for making a pattern of going to R rated movies I think. Not beards though. I saw a witness wedding where the best man (an inactive witness) had a full beard. This was last week. I know my opinion does'nt matter to 90 percent of the people on this board. Which leads me to a question? Is there anyway we could start a seperate board for newbies who are just getting out, or who are thinking about it? It seems like after the initial "love bombing" here.(.You know, the obligatory "welcome to the board" thread that welcomes all the newbies.) After that it's just a bunch of cliques talking back and forth about stuff. I happen to not be in any of these cliques...Hell, my name was'nt even mentioned as someone anyone on the board would like to meet. That's fine, I just want to be a part of something. This is just like the hall in way, I was ignored there as well (too worldly). Just looking for some friends. Maybe we could have a seperate board for newbies. You did'nt read this anyway.

• integ
    integ

Integ:

Hi, how are you? You've threatened to leave the board a couple of times before, so why don't you just do it. Nobody cares. If you want, just go back to the hall, they won't care about you either. Anyway, what kind of sad ass would rely on an internet forum to meet like minded friends? We are XJW'S who are very angry at WTS for screwing us around. We will not tolerate ANY kind of sympathy for the Org. even if there is any semblance of validity.. Got it? Good. Now don't let the door hit you in the keyster on your way out.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Err... What happened here? This thread started out fine with a legitimate question and quickly digressed. The behavior of the Elders and their Masters is very much like that of the Pharisees. If you have read Crisis of Conscience you will see how much the Governing Body relies on past written material from their publications. The Bible may be their original source, but it gets farther and farther pushed into the background. They build on the precedents set out in the WatchTower and go from there. Maverick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit