Being "Smart" will not prevent one from following the WTS

by onacruse 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• waiting
    waiting

Hello doodle v,

Nice to meet you.

How much education or how smart you believe you have is overwritten by desire for better things.

Education is a different scenario than intelligence. I do believe that a person who learns from an education, particularily college & beyond is less prone to joining cults, etc. It doesn't mean that they won't succumb.....but persons with a higher education have more mental & emotional tools taught to them to avoid these powerful pitfals.

Some go to college & learn next to nothing.....others? College is a world beyond - a New Way to Think - How to Think Rationally. The choice to surround yourself with others who want to learn how to critically think.

That would be some of the main reasons that the WT wants JW's to stay away from evil college.

• onacruse
    onacruse

KGB, doodle-v, and heianderen, I've not had a chance to welcome you to the forum, so...welcome!

Thanks for all your comments. I've got to run off to work, so I'll back back to y'all this evening.

Craig

• bebu
    bebu

BTW, maybe I should clarify that I only knew 2 JWs growing up, and they were not very social. The rest were drones at my door, and all unable to think for themselves. I was so discouraged by such uniformity and stubbornness. I began to assume that JWs were UNABLE to be logical because they most likely had lower IQs. I just could not find a logical ? JW in my own experience.

So I really do enjoy seeing the thoughts flowing freely, striving to be as clear as possible, even when I disagree at times.

bebu

• JT
    JT
    Some go to college & learn next to nothing.....others? College is a world beyond - a New Way to Think - How to Think Rationally. The choice to surround yourself with others who want to learn how to critically think.

WHAT YOU HAVE said i agree 110% for folks who have gone to college or for folks who do lots of reading, cause many folks are well versed and appear well traveled due to reading and they have not been to college

but it is true some go to college and ONCE A JACKASS ALWAYS A JACKASS- BUT AT least they have been given the opportunity by instructors to learn how to question and not accept any and everything just because SO AND SO SAID SO-

WHILE at the same time rarely will you find those who work in a "Mill" being asked to expand thier minds, in fact often times those who do work in "mill" type jobs when they try to introduce a new thought into the job, they are met with snickering and laughs and condemnation

often bein told "YOU DOING TO MUCH BOOK READING" SO THIER flicker of light for a new fresh breath of air is often time SHOT DOWN-

AND when going to college we were told to constantly CHALLENGE THE PROFESSOR, DON'T ACCEPT it cause i said so, while some professors ,might get pissed off, i found that ALL of mine, esp those who taught "critical thinking" type classes welcomed challenges

• waiting
    waiting

Hey JT,

I thought of you while writing my post. You and your wife seem to bloom through your college courses. Congratulations! It must be hard on y'all.....as I know that you speak about having to *actually work* (gasp!) for a living also. Which means you & your wife are Very Busy People.

But you also talk about the things you Learn....the Professors who you "challenge" - and who allow that - but then challenge you back. Make you think!

Such a unique experience! As jw's......we were taught to NEVER challenge what the WT taught....just meekly "take in" what the Faithful & Discreet Slave Class served us at their Sumptuous Banquet of Well Oiled Food. Oh gawd.........just makes one want to puke - the drivel we were fed!

Btw, glad you decided to stick around some. You're my favorite southerner.... "chester drawers"

waiting

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Im no expert on this matter, but having researched many cultic movements and having been in quite a few as an observer, Ive noticed there is a great tendancy in groups that are trying to establish a power base, to recruit among the intelligent young. This is why so many groups recruit in universities. The Boston Church of Christ is a very good example of this. The infamous Anne Hamilton Byrne cult in Melbourne 20 years ago was comprised largely of doctors and registered nurses!! Recruitment specifically targeted these groups. A cult in Sydney called "TT" also targetted health professionals. Not to mention the Japanese Aum Shinrikyo cult that targetted qualified scientific / medical types.

All this goes to show that joining a cult has nothing to do with level of intelligence, or even level of education necessarily, but it has to do with people who are seeking after something and where they are in their life at that particular moment. I think it fair to speculate that smaller more "cultic" cults tend to focus upon the young / educated / intelligent wheras established cults like the dubs appeal to the less educated middle classes.

All this is highly debatable of course.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

What is 'smart'? smeortan painful, stinging, clever

• Jw and 'smart' - sure.

What is 'intelligent'? inter between and legere choose, pick out

• Choosing what you want - sure.

What is 'wise'? wis wid wit to see, and hence to know

• Seeing ahead and choosing upon that knowledge - doesn't fit.
  • onacruse
    onacruse

Again, many many good thoughts from all of you! If I may just pick and choose a few:

nowisee:

i can remember back when i would have these flashes of doubt come into my mind, how terrifying that was and how i immediately dismissed them, shutting them out.

Oh my yes, and exactly what I'm thinking about here. The "terrifying" (an emotion) overwhelms the "flash of doubt" (the intelligent mind), and then the "shutting out." The "terror," for me, was really more a "fear of the unknown." As a JW, I "knew" what I had, and what the future held. But to act on my own, in accord with my own thoughts, would leave me responsible for myself, and to myself. Did I have that personal courage? No, because "God" would, I was sure, condemn me for being so selfish, so sure of myself as to act against His revealed will (of course, all this as "revealed" to me by the WTS). Add another spade of dirt onto the grave of my dead mind.

A Paduan, and bebu:

For myself, I do believe in God. Not, perhaps, for the same reasons, or in the same way, that you do, but nonetheless, I do. My "reasons" predicate 2 things:

1) God cannot be anything but Good. An Infinite Creator is, by categorical definition, "good" because the universe exists according to parameters of it's Will. The universe is the Creator's Word, and that Word cannot be essentially contra-indicated. It's not a matter of "waiting" for anything. It is what it is.

2) I use "faith" in it's most fundamental sense. Most Christians don't know that the English "faith" and "belief" are translated from the same Greek word in the NT. They have this idea that "belief" is something more than "faith." It's not; they are the same thing. And Hebrews 11:1 makes it so clear that faith is based on things unseen, on the hypostasis. One cannot "prove their faith" any more than they can "prove love." Faith and belief are what you have in your heart, privy to you, and you alone.

KGB:

we see the dubs working in the same, feeding off ignorance

I agree, but would offer this question: Being an "informed exJW" is perhaps measurably better on an intellectual level, but is that what really matters? Is what we "think" more important than what we "feel?" If so, how, and why? If not, then why castigate JWs for simply acting according to how they "feel?" Again, I'll take RayF's comment above as an example: For myself, I don't think any the less of him for acting according to his feelings. Instead, I respect him for having the courage and self-honesty to admit that he was not acting according to his intellect. That's a big step, especially for someone as immersed in the WTS as he was. I include myself in this syndrome.

freedom96:

A need to feel important, a sense of belonging, etc.

And then, of course, we face the prospect that any society that satisfies those (our) emotional needs is just as "valid" as any other.

Arghhhhh...as much as I can do for now. I'll get back to you all later.

Again, thanks for your thoughts. Very stimulating.

Craig

• bebu
    bebu
    God cannot be anything but Good.

I think we're on the same page. By 'waiting', I do not mean that they wait until somehow God becomes better. Just that those that hope for good will eventually discover it in God.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It's not a matter of "waiting" for anything. It is what it is

But if you don't know that, you're effectively waiting to find out, to be set free.

As a JW, I "knew" what I had

Possession runs very deep.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit