Being "Smart" will not prevent one from following the WTS

by onacruse 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onacruse
    onacruse

Bradley:

an intelligent person is very capable of holding some pretty whacked out ideas because she/he has a great ability to convolute the argument and make it sound reasonable, even though it isn't. Throw in some social pressures and you've got a recipe for some intelligent people belonging to a cult

"Recipe" is a very good word for it. What a soup.

One thing I appreciate about CoC is that Ray is honest about his past. No equivocating, self-justifying, and especially no self-recriminations! Acknowledging to ourselves that we were unwittingly in the "soup" is a big big step to resolution and moving on.

bikerchic, thanks for your comments...We'll have to meet someday; I think you and I would hit it off just fine

Craig

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

very interesting subject. I got in an argument with my jw husband not too long ago ( he was mad that I chat with x-jw's, can't understand why I just can't let go ), and apparantly something I said ( not quite sure what it was ) made him say to me "You think I'm stupid, don't you? ". I inquired where on earth did he get the idea that I think he's stupid, and he said " because you think I am brainwashed ". I said that I thought he was very intelligent ( which he is ), and he kept saying over again, " No, you think I am stupid, you think I am brainwashed ". Sheesh. Intelligent people CAN be brainwashed. I know lots of smart jw's.Obviously, it is emotion that draws people to these types of beliefs, then they twist things around to suit their belief system, thinking they are being logical.

If a witness came to the door of a person who had never felt the need to go to church, one who wasn't a spiritual person at all, the likely hood of the witness winning this person over is pretty slim. Now at the next door, they meet up with a person who has just lost a loved one. This person is intelligent, believes in God, but is feeling worn down emotionally. What the witnesses are preaching about sounds good, a hope they can cling on to.Their emotions wanting them to believe something could be better. Judgement goes out the window, the person is suckered in.

So, IMHO, I feel intelligence can get thrown out the window when emotion is involved. Just my two cents.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey y'all,

1. Intelligence can have something to do with our emotions....*can*...but our emotions many times overrule our brain.

2. Being in a *high-control religion* - or cult, or being brainwashed - is much more of an emotional situation than intelligence....but both can be in there too.

3. There are many intelligent people in cults, - why? Because as one intelligent x-scientologist lady put it " I WAS IN A CULT!!!!!!" In other words, there was more at play than just her intellectual level. Her emotions.

She believed what she was taught. She wanted to believe. As a JW, we loved God & God's True Organization. lol - some might say we even worshipped the WT, and they might be right. We trusted the WT. We devoted our lives to the WT. We even fought for the right to let our children die for her - and thousands did die for love of what the WT told us to do - and continue to sacrifice themselves & their families lives....literally.....for the WT.

And when we found out that our beloved WT was a lying, cunning, spiteful whore who used us? We hate her as much as we loved her. Some of us mourn what "could have been, what should have been." "Hell hath no fury like a love scorned." (paraphrasing Shakespeare.) We were scorned.

All emotional responses....made worse because we have the intelligence to understand what the WT did to us.

We were zealots. Remember Paul? He was a zealot for the Jewish system of things. He killed a lot of Christians - hunted them down for the sake of the Jewish law. He was a "righteous in his own eyes" killer. And Paul was a smart man (even if I don't agree with his views sometimes).

A True Believer.

I'm so glad my entire - immediate family - is out. Thank Whatever that I was a lousy jw parent.

waiting - thanks for the thread, onacruse!

ps: Btw, Hitler - part 2 is on tv tonight - his rise to power. Many intelligent people bought into his view. Cult? Movement? Brainwashed? Obviously, "high-control"......but True Believers for sure.

• onacruse
    onacruse

drwatson:

Being inside the organization seems to suppress intelligence.

Perhaps a better way to put it might be "perverts intelligence." For me, as long as I was sitting innocuously in my chair, studying the Kingdom Interlinear and making whatever supportive comments I could, everything was fine. They liked me, I like them. As soon as my ideas crossed over their line, all of a sudden the other dynamics came overwhelmingly into play: humility, obedience, conformity, unity, comity.

The tug of the heart overwhelms the logic of the brain.

bittersweet & waiting, I've got to get off to work now. I'll post back to you when I get home

Craig

• gumby
    gumby

We could be Einsteins all, and still have ended up fully supporting that organization.

Many here continue to put quarters in their ass-kickin machines blaming themselves for being "so stupid" to have swallowed the borg and it's message.How many smart women have married jerks that those women knew were jerks? How many of us have made a bad decision or choice and we knew it was?

We do things that don't make sense sometimes out of emotion, or sometimes because we believed a lie.

Most were basically lied to and didn't know it. We were promised something and never recieved it nor will we ever.

Out of all the people in the world to believe all this borg stuff......I just can't believe that you craig were this blind..................(scroll down)

(Just kiddin)

Gumby

• unique1
    unique1

I totally agree. I know so many intelligent people in the congregations around. My husband and I have often discussed, why can these people be so smart and not see what is right in front of their face. For some, I believe it is the need to be accepted by others and for the others I believe it may be that they are in their comfort zone and don't want to leave it.

• Maverick
    Maverick

I agree with this concept that intellegence is not a big factor in being enslaved by the J-dud Masters.

To drwtsn32; Tampa Bay Mensa member here. Also the Mathematical Association of America. Still can't spell though! Maverick

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    To drwtsn32; Tampa Bay Mensa member here. Also the Mathematical Association of America. Still can't spell though!

That's fine... I just blame spelling errors on a faulty keyboard. Or fat fingers. Or both.

• onacruse
    onacruse

bittersweet:

No, you think I am stupid, you think I am brainwashed.

And there ya go, a perfect example of how our emotions can so easily, even automatically, overrule our brains. Now, you think your hubby is a smart man, and I daresay he too thinks he is a smart man. But what's at play here? His mind? No, it's his heart, the sense of insufficiency and rejection. If he'd been the first one to visit an exJW site, he wouldn't feel threatened in that way. But since it was you first, now his sense of self-worth is at stake; and it has absolutely nothing to do with his intelligence. In fact, even against his own better judgment, that little voice in the back of his mind, he's likely to dig in his heels (I can speak with some authority on this, being of the male gender myself ).

waiting:

Many good thoughts, but this one especially caught my eye:

She wanted to believe.

Another big factor, especially if we've invested many years in the WTS. I daresay the same unspoken considerations were working with RayF; raised a JW, one of the "anointed," missionary, uncle was a prominent GBer. The scales are tipped so heavily to the side of accomplishment and commitment that we just can't bear the thought that we were carrying the football toward the wrong goal. So we "convince" ourselves that we must be right, or, at the very least, we convince ourselves that the alternative (that we were wrong) is just too much to bear. And there goes the brain, right out the window. I think Ray would say this about himself, and I know I can say it about myself: I would never have voluntarily DAd. I would have continued to more-or-less compromise my intellectual principles, if only for the sake of salvaging something from a lifetime of work and conviction.

gumby:

continue to put quarters in their ass-kickin machines blaming themselves

Very good picture. And we have it within our power simply to put those quarters back into our pocket, and move on. Let the "blame machine" rust away out there in the back yard, where it belongs.

sphere:

But I don’t seem to have any trouble “understanding” it now

Interesting how that works, eh? Like fighting a tide: the tide always wins, one way or the other. When we finally let go and flow with the tide, life suddenly gets so much easier. Now, a JW (as well as many fundamentalist Christians) would point to Scriptures about "the fine fight" and say that "going with the flow" is a surrender. But exactly what is the "fight" we have? It's a fight for faith, not for an organization. But faith is a very personal, and very ambiguous, goal, with "unknown" rewards; an organization is tangible and offers a very real payoff. So, again, our brain says "This doesn't make any sense" but our emotions say "Yeah, but this feels soooo good, let's stay here."

Maverick & drwatson, I'm not Mensa...not weird enough

Craig

• waiting
    waiting
    Maverick & drwatson, I'm not Mensa...not weird enough

Craig

o yeah......who told you THAT one.....eh, Craig?

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit