The Bible is a very mean spirited book.

by libra_spirit 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• libra_spirit
    libra_spirit

I remember at one point in my life believing that the new testament taught Love as the greatest command. For the last week I have been rereading the new testament. Mathew, and Revelation so far. I am about to give the whole book a pitch into the garbage once again. It not only says that few will be saved out of the earth, it also goes into the greatest of detail on how terrible the wicked (most people) will suffer before and then even after they are smitten by God and placed into hell. God is portrayed as a God of vengence, his kingdom is a kingdom of power, and his people and folowers even in heaven spend most of thier time on thier knees with thier faces in the ground. The poor 24 elders of revelation must have very bloody noses from all the bowing thier heads into the ground. Revelation creates the map of a God who delights in destroying, getting even, and then torturing all the supposed wicked people.

Now I ask why in the world would God create all these people just to end up torchuring and killing them. "A third of the sea became blood."

Giving all these angels all this power to squash all the worthless people on the planet.

I used to think that Jesus message was one of love, but he himself states in Mathew he did not come to bring peace to the earth but to cause brother to turn against brother, etc... Right out of Jesus own mouth he pretty much condones wars "holy wars", creates the idea of good guys and bad guys. Everyone on his side is good and everyone else is pretty much bad. Jsus himself leaves no grey area for "intentions."

Am I just missing something here, or are Mathew, and John just really caught up with power issues. You are either with us or against us, no room for "tolerance."

Anyone want to try to encourage me to continue reading the Bible? Before I just give it the old toss into the garbage, along with all it's hate, suffering, and preaching of destruction?

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    Am I just missing something here, or are Mathew, and John just really caught up with power issues. You are either with us or against us, no room for "tolerance."

I don't think you are missing anything. I agree.

Anyone want to try to encourage me to continue reading the Bible? Before I just give it the old toss into the garbage, along with all it's hate, suffering, and preaching of destruction?

I vote to toss it. It is garbage.

• figureheaduk
    figureheaduk

I know I'll probably end up getting flamed big time for saying it (but isn't that a small price to pay for freedom of speech?), however........

SEND THAT DAMNED BOOK ON A ONE-WAY TRIP TO THE DUMP! (especially if it's the NWT version)

I'm in total agreement with libra_spirit on this one. If "god" wants to destroy 99.99% of the population, why do it in such a cruel manner? If he is supposed to be as powerful as he's made out to be, why not just snap his fingers and let the "wicked" ones dissapear instantly and painlessly with no awareness of what's happening whatsoever? It's one of the reasons why I don't believe in Christianity - there's way too much bloodshed, hatred, cruelty and contradiction within the bible.

There, thats my 10 pence worth for the time being.

Leebo

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

The Bible was created to manipulate the masses. It is not possible to truly love a god who will kill you if you don't. It is possible to controls those too dumb to see this. JamesT

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance
    The Bible was created to manipulate the masses. It is not possible to truly love a god who will kill you if you don't. It is possible to controls those too dumb to see this.

Very well said. As long as we have religion we'll have hatred.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

If I interpreted a highly symbolical book as Revelation and literalized it, I would throw my Bible in the trash too. Revelation is about LOVE! Jesus the Lamb has already fought the battle against evil by his death. He has overcome sin, death, and the Devil. The battle has already been fought and won. All this imagery about war is on a spiritual level., against the spiritual powers of evil. You can find the same type of symbolism in Eph. 6:10-17, 2 Tim. 4:7; 2 Cor. 10:3-6. The same type of imagery can be found in a song called "Onward Christian Soldiers."

As to Matt. 10:34. Again if you take that literally, you better go buy you a sword. But examine Jesus' life and see if He ever used weapons to destroy His enemies or advocated such to His followers. It means that people will be divided over Him, not that He is seeking to separate them. But it will happen because some will choose Him and others not--even in one's own family. Division will come because of Jesus.

• seven006
    seven006

Dave,

It's a book of fairy tails designed to keep those who have no ability to think for them self something to cling on to, I told you that a year ago. If you ever get back into smoking legal herbs again, save the pages for rolling. They work great.

Here's a little link that will help you see how messed up the bible is. Have fun.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Steve/Dave

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

For a response to the Skeptics Annotated Bible see here

http://www.tektonics.org/sab.html

When you click onto a book to find a passage. Make sure you also click on to "here" as in "See here" or "As noted here."

Also check out the web sites answering questions on contradictions in the Bible at

http://www.answering-islam.org/Bible/Contra

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Would you believe me if I said that when I read the Emperor's New Clothes and found out that most of the people therein made fools of themselves rather than speak the truth, I was so angry at the person who wrote it that I bagged it and threw it in the bin. No?

Someone wrote down a dream and you interpreted it and didn't like what you interpreted so whoever wrote it must be the one who's mean spirited. Are you still looking for the 'true religion'? - it may be that you could still find God, 'nail Him down' and then hold Him up - sometimes ya just never know what might happen.

paduan

• archangel01
    archangel01

Kenneson brought out a very great point, so I'm going with his view point on this matter. Just keep the faith an let the Bible speak for it's self and don't mix JW False teachings or any false teachings for that matter when reading. Write out a list of questions (or what ever) you have doubts about an then search through the Bible for the answers. This is not easy but who knows it might not be. It worked for me!

Also read the book "In search of Christian Freedom" by raymond F. Great book which really Helped me see things more clearly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit