The Bible is a very mean spirited book.

by libra_spirit 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gumby
    gumby
    they've applied a literal meaning/understanding to spiritual writings

Yes......because thats what the book says your suppose to do. Thats why Jesus refered to this book......because it was really suppose to have happened and even he believed in it and so are we supposed to.

The N.T. was designed in a way to prove the things in the old testement really happened and foreshadowed the things christ would mimick and fullfil. These were NOT to be understood by the church nor the early patriarchs to be spiritual.

Gumby

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Yes......because thats what the book says your suppose to do. not to my knowledge

Thats why Jesus refered to this book how so?

He is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart, spiritual and not literal.

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am carnal....

Yes, all sorts of events did occur, rituals too, and written down - they become spiritual teachings. Yes, Christ referred to these things, and how it was inappropriate for Jews to be using it literally, like the Pharisees. Paul came to know of this too, but even so, he was still caught up in carnal issues. He knew that what had occured of old and was spoken of, and written about, was for spiritual enlightenment - but even so, he was still caught up, like Moses, in writing law for people in his church who required these 'necessary burdens' - and again, this too became a spiritual teaching, included in the bible - eg. " when the husband dies she is released" - i.e. the word, who is head of the house, head of the soul - a word other than the Bridegroom who lives forever.

paduan

• gumby
    gumby

Thats why Jesus refered to this book how so?

Why did you say...."how so" if you knew Jesus refered to the OT.

If the church is to recognise the bible as no more than a spiritual thought.........then it sure does a good job at making people believe it really happened and that they should believe it.

Gumby

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Toss it.

• noko
    noko

Gumby, you can't kill the dead, your legal case if you want to call it that is groundless. Jah is the God of the living, not the dead.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

How so - in what manner - in what way

If the church is to recognise the bible as no more than a spiritual thought No, not recognise it as being such, but accept it as being for such (like food for thought ) Who are my mothers? Ma ry kept all these things, pondering them in her heart.

then it sure does a good job at making people believe it really happened Well, in a way it did, not always literally as written, but as people convey the stories - how you receive them 2000 years on is another thing. Compared to how people twist language these days, I think they did an amazing job - they aren't what we'd call short stories.

I can accept that a spirit or spirits someone encountered while seeking in a book can be understood as mean - and I can accept that, "I think the god I read about is really mean spirited".

But as to a book being mean spirited? It's a book.

"I didn't find what I was looking for, so the book is mean spirited garbage" No offense but I can see why some people become jws - their horses drive them.

• noko
    noko

To me it shows the true love of God also the spiritual battle that is being waged.

• gumby
    gumby
    Gumby, you can't kill the dead, your legal case if you want to call it that is groundless

Bittersweet,

What "grounds" do you have for a resurrection of Jesus? If I had SOLID grounds I would also not doubt.

The problem is....when you reserch what the critics have to say about the bible, Jesus, and the HISTORY behind them.....you take a different look.

Noko,

Why do you call this a spiritual battle as though I am a puppet of Satan against you and God. I am not. I am someone who is OPEN to taking a closer look at things as you yourself should also do and everyone else who puts their faith in men and what they wrote.

Gumby

• noko
    noko

Noko,
    Why do you call this a spiritual battle as though I am a puppet of Satan against you and God. I am not. . .
    You said it, thought it, I did not nor did I imply it.

• gumby
    gumby

Sorry then

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit