The Bible is a very mean spirited book.

by libra_spirit 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• libra_spirit
    libra_spirit

archangel,

The idea that I need someone else to straighten out my understanding of scripture is a setup for buying into what they have created from the book, not what the book actually says. As far as literal or symbolic interupertations, death and destruction are not something you can really water down by calling them symbolic.

God is going to slaughter most of mankind if Revelation is true, no way to sidestep this with symbolism. The road to life is cramped and narrow and few are the ones finding it, from Mathew. How can you water this down with symbolism? God is setting up an elite class of people who actually endure to the end and everyone else is pretty much screwed, no way to water this down with symbolic applications, sorry I just don't see it. Jesus says that God will judge all our works, so much for saved by grace that all the born again Christians are preaching, they are ignoring Jesus words in Mathew if they think thier works have no bearing in the issue. I know you are supposed to pray for Gods Spirit so you can read and understand what is there. I feel this is the first time I have read it for what is really there. What is there is not pretty, not comfortable, and not even rational. Read it with your heart I have heard, well God is pretty offensive to say the least, I would weep for those who will suffer for his vengence! I do not believe that any rational God could or would act like a the tyrant portrayed in these pages.

Sorry if I have offended any here who still put thier faith in the Bible. I think I shall re read the "Shariat Ki Sugamad" next. :)

• Maverick
    Maverick

Mark Twain was once asked about his book The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Seems even in his day there was a problem with letting in be a part of the school library. He replied that the book was not written for young minds. He stated that a youths mind, once sullied, could never be clean again. Then he said that they should not let the young read the Bible for it was filled with vile, bloodied, and cruel acts stated with great detail. Maverick

• logansrun
    logansrun

Okay, this is going to sound really bad, but....I feel sorry for people that really believe the Bible is the word of God. I really do. It's like grown adults believing in Alladin and his Magic Lamp or some other fairy tale. I have the nagging suspicion that anyone who defends it like some here do have never read any critical literature by secular or liberal scholars on the subject. A great start is Elaine Pagels "The Origin of Satan" and "The Gnostic Gospels." But, people like their fairy tales and will cling to them ad naseum...

Bradley

• logansrun
    logansrun

Maverick,

Also from Tom Sawyer:

"It's not the parts of the Bible that I don't understand that cause me to doubt it, it's the parts that I do understand."

Bradley

(That's not a verbatim quote; it went something like that)

• forgetmenot
    forgetmenot

Will God destroy all wicked people or all the wicked in people?

Might Give an interesting twist to the Bible, aye?

• noko
    noko

The greatest book I've ever read. Remember it is kinda hard to kill the dead or be found guilty of killing the dead. In other words let the dead bury the dead. The Bible is a story of Life and Death, wait. . . The Bible is the reality of Life and Death put bluntly.

I hope AGuest isn't the only one here who would understand what I just wrote. Peace to all brothers and sisters.

• gumby
    gumby

I always enjoyed these..

'Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known a man by sleeping with him. But all the young girls who have not known a man by sleeping with him, keep alive for yourselves.'

Numbers 31.17,18
    Uzzah learns the hard way to keep his hands to himself
    "At that Jehovah's anger blazed against Uzza so that he struck him down because he had thrust his hand upon the ark, and he died there before God." (1Chronicles 13.9,10)

Natural Born Killers

Joshua Slaughters 31 kings
    (Joshua 12.1,24)
    Elijah Murders 450 Priests of Baal
    (1 Kings 18.40)
    Samson Slays 1000 Philistines (with an ass' jawbone! )
    (Judges 15.16)

Gumby

• noko
    noko

I enjoyed them myself as well. Would you not want to put to justice a murderer, better yet would you not want to stop the killer from killing again?

• gumby
    gumby

Would you want to see millions of babies, little boys and girls and women murdered by god or his killers in the bible? Do you think these little children had a clue about who to worship? God "chose Israel,favored them, blessed them, watched over them.....and not the others. Why? Because one man named Abraham walked with god and so god blessed him and his offspring and to hell with everybody else.

Then God promised to give a land to him and his people even though god knew very well that this land would already be occupied by others. God didn't care......he simply told them that if these people don't let you through......kill them all! And he did......women babies, .........and all their stuff.

So explain how God in the old testement would commit these murdrers against innocent children who according to gods own word are not suppose "to answer for their parents error". In other words the parents have no bearing on a childs rightousness before god.

Then tell me why Jesus would NEVER promote or encourage these murderous acts that his dad did when he and his dad are close buddies.

Gumby

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It's not literal - it's spiritual

There's one thing that every screwball, odd, nasty, dangerous or draconian religion or cult has in common - they've applied a literal meaning/understanding to spiritual writings

The people/groups may seem as harmless as 'quaint' people with scarves on - or when their fear gets the better of them they may harm or even kill those who don't agree with their 'god' (because they 'know' the others are evil)

The bible brings it all out.

paduan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit