The Bible is a very mean spirited book.

by libra_spirit 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    What could it mean in a spiritual sense? As in w hat meaning for me? More like meanings, it's a long read - but burning with fire, females (souls), passing things through fire or the water instead - surely there's food for thought in that story.

Loads of food for thought certainly, but it purports to be a historical account. Should it be taken as a series of literal events that actually happened? If it's meant in some sort of symbolic sense, then the god it portrays still comes across as a bloodthirsty tyrant. If you mean simply that such an account by it's gruesome and inhuman nature, makes us reflect and meditate on our own nature and our relationships with others, then yes it can certainly do that, but so can Mein Kampf.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

These particular stories "did it" for people, fed them - hence their inclusion in the bible

There's certainly other stories that provide much food for thought. What bible would you put together, based on what you've read?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

A Paduan, I'm not entirely sure what point you're making. Yes, the Bible does provide food for thought as does 120 Days of Sodom but that doesn't mean either book should be used as any sort of guidebook, literal or spiritual. Perhaps, the bible is in some sense "meant" to be read in the distant, abstract sense you seem to favour, but it purports to be (partly) a book of history and law and as such contains false history and repugnant laws.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I haven't cracked a bible since I left the dubs four years ago....just toooooo negative...toooo judgmental...tooooo violent....tooooo ummmm...weird!!!

New Age is my bag! Just gotta be free and at peace with myself.....oh...did I mention the dancing and having fun????

ESTEE

• gumby
    gumby
    I haven't cracked a bible since I left the dubs four years ago....just toooooo negative...toooo judgmental...tooooo violent....tooooo ummmm...weird!!!

Hi Estee,

Mind if I ask you a question?

I knew the bible was negative, judgmental, and violent........but I figured there were REASONS behind each one as I believed it to be gods word. It took lots of studying for me to become CONVINCED it wasn't gods word for me.

Did you have to study/reserch, to convince yourself it wasn't gods word, .......or did you ever believe it was in the first place?

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit