Nowadays How Does One Become An Elder?

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I was appointed Jan 1 1980 and back then it was a big deal to“qualify”. I was the youngest elder appointed in the district! I actually studied everything from the societies publications and listened to anything I was told to do. I was raised as a Witness and it’s all I knew.

Today, what qualifies you to be an elder or MS?

• freddo
    freddo

A pulse, loose fitting trousers, a brown nose and no brain.

Oh ... gotta have a willy.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Was just talking about this yesterday with a guy who told me he was just removed by to COBE in my former hall. The well of potential appointees is drying up quickly. I'm wondering if they will adjust the qualifiers for appointments just as they have adjusted field service hours.

Looking forward to the responses.

• minimus
    minimus

But if they have any issues with any family member they disqualified

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

You have to be a parrot who can mimic words without comprehending them.

• Dagney
    Dagney

min - that's true. A member of his family stopped going; doesn't have his household in order. He is the guy they always relied on for doing and fixing anything...he's a big hearted helper of the elderly and really anybody. He is still adjusting though to the title change even though logically he knows it doesn't and shouldn't matter.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Becoming an elder it seems how much of ''smooth talker'' or suck-up one can be to raise in the ranks.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I'm wondering if they will adjust the qualifiers for appointments just as they have adjusted field service hours.

Dagney ...

Yes, they need to adjust the requirements to be an elder.

What I recently heard was that the BOE will now ask candidates several simple questions and then have a mirror. They will put the mirror under your nose, have you take a deep breath, and make sure you can fog it up.

Rub a Dub

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I think elders will become glorified ushers and button pushers eventually anyway.

There only to guide you to your seat, dim the lights and push play at the video screenings.

• asp59
    asp59

They probably gonna go online with meetings and report hours there also. No need for elders anymore. Just person that can do the administration work. If they still want to be called elders to boost confident the organization gonna keep the titles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit