Are we participants in this forum because of bouts of "loneliness"?

by Wonderment 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I have found that people here find whatever spiritual issues outside the group and they change as they heal and learn. The point I think is not to make this a place to convert people to your point of view. I feel we must take responsibility for our own research, meditate on it, and make what changes you are ready for......Blondie

...........................................Image result for Thumb up

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

I lead a happy full life free of any formal religion. I come here because I have family still in and, like many of the others have said, to stay up on current beliefs. We never talk about religion but if it ever comes up I have gotten a lot of good ideas from this site, also a lot of laughs! And it never ceases to amaze me how many former elders are in this group.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

stan livedeath: "it is true i lead a very lonely--isolated life--and this site in many ways is a social online contact resource. i have no interest in anything bible-related--in fact i stop reading as soon as any scripture is quoted."

I am saddened to hear your story of a "lonely--isolated life," and gladdened by the fact you strive to stay social. I myself live an isolated life. It has not been easy.

Stan, I was surprised to read about you having "no interest in anything bible-related." I have lost quite a bit of interest myself after experimenting all the hypocrisy of religious movements.

I think the Bible is not fully the culprit. We can reach out to the Bible for comfort, and grasp from it whatever we can -- like the positive teachings found within. I wouldn't dwell at the seemingly conflicting stories in it. I think it was Mark Twain who once said (when asked if he was bothered by stuff in the Bible he couldn't understand):

"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand."

Wishing you well!

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

It's connection... of so many kinds.

For those with family in, it's a unique connection to keep some sanity.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I live in a very large apartment complex surrounded by Witnesses so I want to keep up with what they're up to. I have to walk around eggshells because I'm considered a demonized apostate. Coming here also helps me deal with my past life experiences and the resentment and grudge that I still hold against them.
  • wannaexit
    wannaexit

Yes I come here because I am lonely sometimes. After a lifetime in this organization, the jw experience is not easily shaken. It great to come to this place, this community of folk where we have a commonality. The lonely dissipates.

• whathappened
    whathappened

When I left 5 years ago, this site saved my sanity. I spent hours a day researching topics and found solace here.

I was helped to see that I did the right thing by leaving.

I remain here because I now want to lend support to others who may need my encouragement and extensive background of being a JW from infancy to age 57.

My daughter was raised in and is still an active JW and is shunning me. I appreciate keeping abreast of what is going on in the crazy, crazy JW world so I can know what is happening in her life. Should the opportunity present itself for me to help an active JW, I feel I need to keep up with the latest BS they are serving at what they call the proper time.

This site is wonderful and I sing its praises!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    @whathappened I am sorry your daughter is shunning you. But what a noble goal to help others. I agree that this site is wonderful.
  • LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

As in the sit-com, TV show 'Cheers', this is the place 'where everybody knows your name'. lol After waking up and leaving WT behind, it is relaxing and fun to be part of a forum such as this, where you are sorta 'known'.

Someone talks about the New York asembly in 1958, I was a little kid but I was there. Beth Sarem (I almost wrote harem lol) most of us know what that is.

At Simon's 'house' I always feel welcomed, understood and cared about. Coming here is in a way, coming 'home' a place that only exists now in my memories.

Lonely? Sure. Sometimes. But I enjoy the camaraderie here. We all have been through trauma not really understood by others.

LoisLane

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I guess you can say people come here because of ''loneliness'' too. I find that this site offers huge morale support though, openness of mind comes to mind. To let go of all the ''immense doubts'' weighing down on you like a thousand elephants which are on your mind which you would never, ever let go amongst JW's.!!!!!

Talking to ''worldlies'', which I always found to be a ultra derogatory term, have no idea or clue what you're talking about when talking about your ''religious doubts''

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit