Reaction to GDPR / field service letter

by sir82 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    What if the householder agrees or provides consent to the publisher to record his personal details to facilitate a future visit?
  • sir82
    sir82

What if the householder agrees or provides consent to the publisher to record his personal details to facilitate a

future visit?

In the letter it says that if someone shows interest, you can ask him to contact you later, perhaps by giving him your cell phone number (other options given were to direct them to JW.borg or invite them to the Kingdom Hall).

So it seems that if the householder contacts the JW via text or phone call and issues an invitation to return, that is OK, the JW can then keep a record of the householder's phone number and/or address.

To me, it would be a little squidgy to give out my cell phone number to a perfect stranger solely because he took a magazine from me.....which, come to think of it, is part of the reason for the GDPR in the first place - you don't want your personal info in the hands of just anyone.

• blondie
    blondie

sir82,

"Somehow Jehovah will" is a phrase jws are primed to think at the same time the WTS has said in print that not everyone has to hear the message before Jehovah brings Armageddon. They are also primed by being told that the angels will lead someone to them to preach the WTS message.

*** w09 1/1 p. 20 How Far East Could Missionaries Go? ***

LESS than 30 years after Jesus’ death, the apostle Paul wrote that the good news was being preached in “all creation” under heaven. (Colossians 1:23) His statement is not to be taken literally, as if meaning that every person alive at that time had heard the good news. Even so, Paul’s point is clear: Christian missionaries were preaching extensively in the then-known world.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2000042?q=%22personal+witness%22&p=sen

Fifth, we see a global preaching work being accomplished, which Jesus said would take place just before the end of this system. Jesus stated: “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14) Today, that prophecy is in the course of fulfillment on an unprecedented scale. True, untouched territories still exist, and it may be that in Jehovah’s due time, a large door leading to greater activity will open. (1 Corinthians 16:9) Nevertheless, the Bible does not state that Jehovah will wait until every individual on earth has received a personal witness. Rather, the good news must be preached to Jehovah’s satisfaction. Then the end will come.​—Compare Matthew 10:23.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

A PIMO friend told me that the R&F are saying that it's because the end(tm) is so close.

Well, they would, wouldn't they?!?!?

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    What if the householder agrees or provides consent to the publisher to record his personal details to facilitate a future visit?

Here's the interesting thing about GDPR: it's not just about a person consenting. There's a whole array of rules and requirements to take care of when it comes to GDPR:
    • The person must unambiguously and voluntarily consent, and there must be a record of it. So JW would need to have a form the householder can sign?
    • The person must be informed beforehand for what purposes his data will be used, how long it will be retained, whom it will be shared with, etc. So JW would have to have a policy on that and make that available to the return visit.
    • The person would have the right to view the data JW stored on him, have errors corrected, or his data removed completely. Whom would a person have to contact when it comes to return visit records?
    • The JW must have clear and written policy on how they'll protect the data. They can't leak it in any way or form; it must be stored quite secure and accessible only to authorized people. The messy paper notes in sister Seniles handbag or floating around in bro. Twentysomething Pioneers car aren't exactly that.

And so on and so on. Getting consent is the least of the troubles of GDPR.

And Watchtower will be co-responsible and co-liable for each and every note that any publisher makes....

That's why they said: No. More. Notes.

There is no way Watchtower could safely (for their wallet) arrange this. No even Jehovah could help them on this.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    W 09 1/1 p.20 Even so, Paul’s point is clear: Christian missionaries were preaching extensively in the then-known world.

Funny how Jehovah didn’t let them know there was more than just the “ then known” world.

Why didn’t he get them a ride in a fish, Jonah style, over to the America’s or Australia?😂😂

• inbetween09
    inbetween09

There is an excerpt rom a talk given apparently in the German bethel regarding the new situation.

I got an opportunity to listen to it, and it really exposes the orgs desaster in this matter.

The brother went on, how Jehovahs does not need any notes anyway. So yeah, in the past, we all were encouraged to take precise notes, but now, we have the angels guiding us, so just forget about them. (So what about the past ? Did Jehovah need notes then ? What about other contries, where there is no data protection law like in EU, are the angels on holiday there, since the pubs still have to take notes? )

Then he related the example of how apostle Paul was guided by the spirit to find Lydia, he didn`t make notes.

Then he mentioned, that the GB waits, how it will turn out, in order to give more direction. (Hm, aren`t they supposed to be spirit guided? why wait how publishers will work it out ?)

And really weird was his thought, that we have been waiting for new directions from the GB regarding field service for years, and this may be one of those new guidelines. (huh ? the GB was forced by law to change things, it wasn`t any heavenly revelation apparently)

All in all a very weird and even somehow helpless explanation of the situation.

I wondered, didn`t they have any plan B in their sleeves ? The court ruling was last year already, it was not a complete surprise, but it seemend to me, like they were caught off guard.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

INBETWEEN09:

They probably WERE caught off-guard or in la la land in the usual news blackout common among JWs...If it’s not in the magazines it’s not real.

I think this GDPR thing is going to cause a definite slowing down of the door-to-door ministry and cause it to be viewed as less serious.

It will become less organized and more casual and that is the first step to it winding down to less and less IMO.

• sir82
    sir82

Excellent post by inbetween09 above.

Sounds like they are thrashing about, trying to find some rationale that will "stick".

I wondered, didn`t they have any plan B in their sleeves ? The court ruling was last year already, it was not a

complete surprise, but it seemed to me, like they were caught off guard.

The letter references a court case - apparently they thought they were exempt, but obviously the court has a different opinion. There are references to the court case in the thread referenced in the first post of this thread.

There is no mention in the letter that they are appealing the court's decision, which seems a little odd. Wouldn't there be a higher court they could appeal to?

Regarding a "Plan B" - yes, the suddenness of this development is striking. Elders, COs, everybody - just completely caught off guard. Monday you are writing down your NHs and making notes on the religious beliefs of your return visit and then Tuesday, bam! Destroy it all immediately. You'd think they would have at least considered the possibility they would lose in court.

• inbetween09
    inbetween09

Excellent post by inbetween09 above.

Thank you

There is no mention in the letter that they are appealing the court's decision, which seems a little odd. Wouldn't there be a higher court they could appeal to?

To my understanding, this was the supreme court in Europe, so no appeal possible.

Another maybe interesting question: Would this ruling not apply, if WT gave up some control on the preaching activity? Like reporting of time, pioneer status etc, Maybe then they could argue, that the preaching is really the personal way of worship of each individual publisher? Not that they ever would give up control...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit