How long has it been since you have seen your family?

by Christian Gutierrez 43 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Family that aren't dubs have been great! They took us back in like nothing ever happened. We hadn't had much contact with them in almost twenty years but we got together with a few at a time, explained our situation and they were very understanding. -- Darkknight 757

Yes, like nothing ever happened. I am grateful for that. It sure is different with JW family, however. I see JW and non-JW family on FB, but have had no physical contact with family in way too long . . .

At least my FB kith and kin respond to my posts.

• blondie
    blondie

search, would you like a chocolate chip cookie or the cookie of your choice?

Blondie

• Simon
    Simon

My mother and sisters - about 10+ years. Got a call one day saying "do you believe the governing body are god's representatives? No? Well I can't speak to you".

Thanks mum, you called to tell me that? Enjoy the cult you wasted your life on.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

I see my mom fairly often. I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen my JW friends in the flesh for about 15 years now; though I continue to stalk them using Facebook and other social media,

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This destruction or breaking apart of families is just one of the deplorable and dangerous aspects of the JWS religious cult.

There might be millions of families to date that were broken apart since the beginning of the WTS/JWS religion.

The question remains Is that a Christian thing to do ?

• jp1692
    jp1692

2,859 days.

That's 7 years, 9 months and 29 days.

I have one grown child that lives less than a mile from me and yet-except for the random time a few years ago when I saw them driving on the freeway near our neighborhood-we have not seen really seen each other in almost eight years.

Why? I don't actually know. I have repeatedly made attempts to reconcile. I have repeatedly asked for an explanation for their treatment. The closest I got to an answer was this: They won't talk to me because I no longer attend meetings at the Kingdom Hall. I have never said anything to them against the religion, I just simply don't go.

Anyone considering joining this religion needs to know the truth, the REAL truth: It is a highly destructive cult that destroys families.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Yes Finky baby and jp1692, the splitting apart of families is deplorable. It is simply built into the genes of the JW cult.

You cannot talk to ex JWs because they will contaminate you. . . actually they will inform you of the realities of the JW scam. If you talk with ex JWs; you must lose the 'privileges' of club membership, it's a basic cult thing.

It is absolutely true that if you join Jehovah's Witnesses that you are likely, over time, to split your family in two. All it takes is for a new generation to arise and either the parents or the children to leave the cult and bingo! you are trapped in an ideological standoff being shunned.

Now since most JWs leave their religion eventually, this becomes an inevitable state of affairs and therefore it is completely true to say "Jehovah's Witnesses splits families". Yes there are millions of split families!

To anyone new here who has not made up their mind about the value of this religion, I want to reinforce what jp 1692 has said: get out of the JW cult before your family is torn apart!

Jws offer paradise but give you hell.............

• LovingLifeNow
    LovingLifeNow

So far my Mom will still call me, but I have not DA, nor have I been DFed yet. She will ask me if I am celebrating the holidays, and I usually just talk around it, without directly answering her, I have a brother who I think is awake. He has said some pretty bizzarre things to me, and he is an elder. So as far as seeing family, yes I can say we still communicate, but it seems like it is with caution. Me and my family have been in-active for over a year...

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

The experiences here speak volumes. I tried to fade, but almost immediately started feeling the effects. If it weren't for my wife who has many relatives and friends who are JW's, I would have continued my fade. I now only keep up appearences to avoid the stress of it all. One very close relative told me they would 'have to remain loyal' if I officially left (DA'd). The shunning policy this religion employs is repugnant!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good OP.

Well, first thing to bear in mind is that only me and my dad were ever JWs in my family.

We both left the org 10 years ago.

So, everything's great in my family, right? Er, not quite.

My mum died in 2004 so that was the last time I ever saw her.

My maternal grandmother died in 2013 (my other grandparents died in 1987, 1994 & 2000).

My dad was one of the beneficiaries of her will (along with my maternal aunt). He didn't attend gran's funeral, didn't help my aunt deal with the solicitor to sell gran's estate, but took the money and ran. He's now disinherited me and is giving his share of my maternal grandmother's estate to his fiancée (a woman who met my gran only once!). I've decided to move on and not see my dad anymore because of his behaviour. It may seem harsh but I believe I have good reasons to do this.

I last saw my cousin in May 2016. I last saw my maternal aunt in April this year. I'm seeing them both again at my aunt's house in July (it's two of my cousins' birthdays in the same month).

I also hope to visit my cousin soon to see my two aunts on my dad's side (all three live fairly close to each other).

That's it from me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit