Immigration is not what you think it is...for a reason

by TerryWalstrom 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    We are talking about families that have been here for 30 years.

At the very least, people who enter illegally should forfeit the right to bring more people.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Our communities do not benefit by ripping the patriarch out of a 3 child household - this is very easily solved ... his wife and kids can go with him.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

what if you have entered their homes unlawfully in the first place and they are now returning the favour?

edit: in fact the time may come when you want to learn from them how to take back what you have lost

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

what if you have entered their homes unlawfully in the first place and they are now returning the favour? - I assume you're referring to colonialism and imperialism done decades and centuries ago.

Here's the thing - neither myself nor you, nor Simon, nor Cofty, nor any poster on this forum, has ever entered a country illegally.

And here's some much needed perspective to your comment - throughout history most, if not all, ethnic groups colonised other areas.

Q: Why do you think the national language of Morocco is Modern Standard Arabic, not Berber or the local Maghrebi dialect (Derija)? A: Because Arabs colonised Morocco and other Maghrebi countries, moving north from their home in the Arabian peninsula.

Zulus weren't originally from Zululand. They moved south from central Africa and colonised the area. I wonder how they treated the original inhabitants?

Palestinian Arabs aren't originally from Palestine. Arab tribes moved north from south and central Arabia and colonised the Levant.

edit: in fact the time may come when you want to learn from them how to take back what you have lost - what can they teach me?

PS - here's the important bit ... what happened in our murky past has nothing to do with a country wishing to tighten its borders and control immigration. Any politician who thinks otherwise is a sadist offering us masochism.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

hard reality is tough but framing immigrants as criminals as in the op does not help

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Immigrants are not criminals as a result of their immigration. The went through proper channels to enter and stay in the country.

Criminal Aliens is the topic at hand. A Criminal Alien is a foreign national who enters a country without permission and may stay or even does stay until deportation. To commit this offense in the United States is a federal misdemeanor.

Illegal Re-Entry be a Criminal Alien is a federal felony. Its when a previously deported Criminal Alien comes back to the United States after being deported. Such a criminal offender faces a prison sentence of up to 15 years and most plead out to a 5 year sentence.

So, immigrants are not being framed as "criminals", but rather Criminal Aliens are being framed as "immigrants".

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

A Criminal Alien is a foreign national who enters a country without permission ...

immigrants are not being framed as "criminals", but rather Criminal Aliens are being framed as "immigrants" - another phrase for 'Criminal Aliens' is illegal immigrants.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

In that case Apologies to Terry

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

In fact I want to come and live in the US - just watching border patrol and hearing how much people want to live there. They refuse to give up trying

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Our communities do not benefit by ripping the patriarch out of a 3 child household - this is very easily solved ... his wife and kids can go with him.

Or...how about your family leaving in their stead...after all, like patriarch's kids *you're the child of immigrants too

* thought experiement, I know you're not personally American

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit