Cult or High Control Group?

by MillennialDawn 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    Steven Hassan "B. I. T. E. '' model ...
    The Borg hits every one of those boxes

But most organizations / institutions also hit every one of those boxes. It's too simplistic to be useful.

It's just a convenient way for "experts" on cults to sell cult awareness books.

IMO trying to make out that JWs are a cult is over-egging the pudding, and isn't helpful.

They are a traditional orthodox christian group that has some high-control practices that often causes their followers to put their group membership ahead of their own friends and family relationships.

They are not going to see a comet and all drink cool-aid thinking it's Jesus coming to pick them up in his spaceship.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Yeah.

You're right.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Steve Jones was responsible for the death by suicide of over 900 people. No one would dispute that his church was the definition of a cult. How many have committed suicide by refusal of blood over the decades? I have two from my own family. Considering that fact, it's hard not to define JW Corp as a cult.

As regards the BITE model. I think the ORG tries to exercise high control but in practice most people pay lip service but act as they will.

So, cult or high control? The jury is out.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NO-ZOMBIE:

Good points! But I wouldn’t think of comparing the Witness religion to totalitarian regimes or countries that are religious theocracies.

So, as far as I’m concerned, they should not be in the equation here as to whether the JWs are a cult or not.

I am referring to the JW religion operating mostly in relatively free Western countries (even though I am aware they are in some non-Western countries as well.). The complaints against it are in comparison to how people fare in it as opposed to other religions. Just one example: people in other religions not discouraged from higher education.

The things you mentioned like the torture rack and beatings, etc. wouldn’t even be tolerated in Western countries (although I have no doubt that some extremist mentalities might like to do these things!).. As it is, it’s bad enough we all know that child molestation exists. Also, the JW religion is relatively young as compared to other religions. Given time who knows how bad they could get?

In my opinion, the JWs are a high-control group with some cult-like traits. They have the potential to be worse. What stops them? They are not geographically isolated and cannot carry out the horrors that other groups have!.. That’s why the people in Jonestown sealed their doom as soon as they left the continental US and followed what’s-his-name into the jungle with his guards!👎

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

LHG:

I do believe that the mindset of JWs,,is on parallel with the Jonestown.

Its evident with how they practice.

I cant see 8 plus million people drinking poison-laced kool aid all at once.

But the mindset is there. Minds held captive to these 9 grifters in New York hanging on every word they say.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Its a cult

Who used to put that at the bottom of their reply ?

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

High control group? YES.

CULT? Ask yourself....what other noncult groups carry Suicide Pact agreements in their wallets...for themselves AND CHILDREN? (Blood card).

Think about it.

• titch
    titch

Slidin' Fast: I think that you might have meant JIM Jones. (Of Jonestown fame)

Titch.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Suicide pacts carried in your wallets and purses? For yourself and children?

Thats an interesting way of looking at it.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

It just baffles me how the vast rank and file JWs cant realize all of this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit