O.K Bluesy, "High Control, Mind Control Group."

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

The wt:

Controls

Users

Lives

Totally

Whatever happened to that poster here who used to bookend all of his posts with:

Let's review - It's a Cult!

???

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

All similar practices to a 'cult' and behaviors.

Just different beliefs,,theology. Rewards ,, merit system.

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

(from The Watchtower, 1994, 2/15, "Cults - What are they?")

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1994120

"What Is a Cult?

"The term “cult” is used loosely by many who may not be fully aware of its connotations. To prevent confusion, some theologians actually avoid using the term.

The World Book Encyclopedia explains that “traditionally, the term cult referred to any form of worship or ritual observance.” By that criterion, all religious organizations could be classified as cults. However, in general usage today, the word “cult” has a different meaning. The same encyclopedia notes that “since the mid-1900’s, publicity about cults has altered the meaning of the term. Today, the term is applied to groups that follow a living leader who promotes new and unorthodox doctrines and practices.”

Interestingly, the IBSA people were referred to as "Russellites" and "Rutherfordites" prior to renaming themselves with the false moniker "Jehovah's Witnesses".

(1994 Watchtower article on Cults continues: "Endorsing the popular usage of the term, Newsweek magazine explains that cults “are normally small, fringe groups whose members derive their identity and purpose from a single, charismatic individual.” Similarly, Asiaweek magazine notes that “the term [cult] itself is vague, but it usually denotes a new religious creed built around a charismatic leader, who often proclaims himself to be the personification of God.”"

Who was it who said they were the "G.uardians O.f D.octrine", the "G.O.D."?😝

1994 Watchtower article on Cults continues: "The language used in a joint resolution of the 100th Congress of the State of Maryland, U.S.A., also conveys the derogatory connotation of the term cult. The resolution states that “a cult is a group or movement exhibiting excessive devotion to a person or idea and employing unethically manipulative techniques of persuasion and control to advance the goals of its leaders.”"

"Excessive devotion" - would that be like the high percentage of JW articles/comments/videos that direct devotion to the GB/FDS? Or how anyone who doesn't show devotion to the GB/FDS is disfellowshipped?

1994 Watchtower article on Cults continues: "Clearly, cults are generally understood to be religious groups with radical views and practices that clash with what is accepted today as normal social behavior. Usually they conduct their religious activities in secrecy. Many of these cultic groups actually isolate themselves in communes. Their devotion to a self-proclaimed human leader is likely to be unconditional and exclusive. Often these leaders boast of having been divinely chosen or even of being themselves divine in nature."

Commune, like Bethel, where a bunch of people take a vow of poverty and live behind a guard station where you can only get in to visit if you get special clearance...

1994 Watchtower article on Cults continues: "Occasionally, anticult organizations and the media have referred to Jehovah’s Witnesses as a cult. A number of recent newspaper articles lump the Witnesses with religious groups known for their questionable practices. But would it be accurate to refer to Jehovah’s Witnesses as a small fringe religious group? Cult members often isolate themselves from friends, family, and even society in general. Is that the case with Jehovah’s Witnesses? Are the Witnesses using deceptive and unethical techniques to recruit members?"

This article from the JWBorg started by saying that the definition of a "cult" is "normally" (implying "but not always") being "small" or "fringe". By their own definition, it is a group that has excessive devotion to men rather than God and has communes. By their own definition, they fit the definition of a cult.

They are using deceptive and unethical techniques to recruit members. They aren't transparent about the CSA problem and the free-labor-real-estate scheme and they twist the scriptures to feign support for their rotten doctrines like the 1914 thing and the disfellowshipping thing. They claim to be Christian, but many of those taking the lead either promote or condone or cover up unChristian practices.

https://youtu.be/1W34s0sVKRQ

1994 Watchtower article on Cults continues: "Cult leaders are known to use manipulative methods to control the minds of their followers. Is there any evidence that Jehovah’s Witnesses do this? Is their worship cloaked in secrecy? Are they following and venerating a human leader? Pointedly, are Jehovah’s Witnesses a cult?""

Yes. According to their own definitions, yes, they are a cult.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Great show on SixSreens with Rick tonight.

(Sorry if this is a double post)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Waco, the Hare Krishnas, and Heaven’s Gate have pretty much defined what a “cult” looks like in the public eye. Polite, well-dressed door-knockers get an easy pass.

Up till now, anyway.

I prefer the term “authoritarian high-control group”.

It’s a bit wordy, but IMO, break it down into its component parts and I think even the most die-hard JW loyalist would have trouble refuting the label.

I could be wrong.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"It’s a bit wordy, but IMO, break it down into its component parts and I think even the most die-hard JW loyalist would have trouble refuting the label."

I have used that definition of what the J.W Org. is many times on-line, here of course, but even on another discussion forum where J.W's were involved in the individual discussion.

I have NEVER had a J.W or anyone else challenge THAT definition, hence I use it always, in preference to saying "Cult".

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

High control group certainly I could stomach that definition it it wasn't for two factors.

1./ The enforced expectation of suicidal behaviour rather than the breaking of arbitrary rules. This involves the ban on blood or some blood products according to a schedule cooked up by a committee in America. This, policed by the HLC who try to put themselves between medical staff and patient.

2./ The practice of shunning those who don't conform or question doctrine. This is extreme and threatens survival in vulnerable people.

These factors push the case over to something sinister however it is defined.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I dont know if you watch the Aspinals youtube channel with David and Vivian

She made an interesting observation the otherr day. Or may I say,,,she experienced it..

That if an individual veers off the course of the Borgs(cult) rules or ways,,,that the cult will insert themselves between the family and the individual who is kicked-out of the Borg

Which of course is on par with the Borgs practice of shunning. Evident how they enforce the latter.

• carla
    carla

I find that ex jw's and jw's do not like to call it a cult. Everybody I know who is nonjw/never been a jw (atheist, agnostic, Christian, etc...) all say the same thing if you bring up jw's; "yes, I have heard a bit about them, they are a cult". Without exception that has been my experience.

Walks like a duck...... might be a duck.

If there is no graceful way to leave your group/organization/church, you might be in a cult.

If you change the way you dress, makeup and hair to 'fit' in, you might be in a cult.

If your leaders can have control of what you do in the bedroom with your lawful spouse, you might be in a cult.

If you change jobs or don't take certain jobs because someone might be 'stumbled' or find you 'less than' spiritually for doing said job; you might be in a cult.

When you quit celebrating the life and holidays you have always enjoyed with your loved ones because your leaders told you to; you might be in a cult.

If you are happy and willing to shun someone without even knowing their so called 'sin'; you might be in a cult.

If you are willing to throw your own children out like the trash and are not allowed to show natural affections; you might be in a cult.

When you actually do everything the 'wordly' people are doing on a certain date but have to keep walking around saying, "we are not celebrating Thanksgiving even though we are gathering here together eating turkey and all the fixings with our loved ones and friends (for example); you might be in a cult.

When you are willing to give up your very life and that of your minor children (blood) because your leaders told you to; you might be in a cult.

When you are willing to hide/look the other way when a child is raped and molested because your group might get a bad reputation if people found out; you might be in a cult.

If you can no longer make a decision on what to watch or read without consulting your group/org/leaders and getting their permission; you might be in a cult.

If you are gleeful when reading about other groups/organizations/churches downfalls/pedo problems/natural disasters etc...; you might be in a cult.

If you are looking forward to the demise of 99% of the rest of the world at your fictional end time scenario; you might be in a cult.

When your fearless leaders refer to innocent children as "enemies of God"; you might be in a cult.

When finding joy outside of your group/organization/church finds you with severe guilt; you might be in a cult.

This list could go on and on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit