Rolf Furuli has broken with the GB

by careful 95 Replies latest members private

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS's doctrines were more commercially appealing than being accurate bible interpretations, perhaps not surprising being the top beginning leaders (C Russell ,J Rutherford) were poorly educated and novice bible theologians themselves.

What they thought they had could sell and proliferate, so they endeavored themselves upon that premise.

These men will eventually be placed in history as freely expressive individuals endeavored in the act of religious charlatanism.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Furuli pointed out something pretty interesting that I had missed. He discusses a WT from 2009 in relation to the “faithful slave” and ties it in with the recent centralisation of funds and general money grab by the GB.

A new twist (?) on perhaps the most quoted verses in Watchtower literature, Matt 24:45–47.

“Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?Happy is that slave if his master on coming finds him doing so! Truly I say to you, he will appoint him over all his belongings.

Furuli points to a WT in 2009 that stated:

The Watchtower of 15 February 2009, page 26:
    Moreover, Jesus Christ has appointed the faithful and discreet slave “over all his belongings”—all Kingdom interests on earth. Included among these belongings are the facilities at the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses, at branch offices in various lands, and at Assembly Halls and Kingdom Halls worldwide. Included too is the work of Kingdom-preaching and disciple-making. Would anyone assign someone he did not trust to keep and use his valuable things?

So the GB gave fair warning in 2009. They stated in the clearest terms possible that the current GB, as the “faithful slave”, claim personal ownership of the headquarters, branches, assembly halls, and Kingdom Halls worldwide. So no wonder they have pursued a policy of redirecting funds and ownership of all property to the centre.

It would be interesting to do a search of earlier Watchtower literature, but I have a hunch this is possibly the first time that the GB stated in such explicit terms that they interpret the phrase “he will appoint him over all his belongings”, as referring to the GB having rightful ownership of all Watchtower and individual congregational assets worldwide.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good catch Slim ! ( You were up late !).

Yet another example of them stretching Scripture to snapping point. Of course the parable of the faithful Slave is just that, a parable, just take the lesson from it, apply it to yourself, that is all Jesus wanted, as with all his parables, he was not making any kind of prophecy here, if he was, what are all the other parables prophesying ?

When I was a young man a guy said to me when I was on the " Knock Knocks" " Oh you can twist anything in the Bible to prove what you want", I thought, as a good JW would , " No you can't" but the JW Org and especially the G.B do it regularly.

Back on Topic, I am wondering with Furuli if once they have slung him out, he may use his time and fully open his mind, but as I said in an earlier Post, I fear he is too proud to ever admit his blindness, and his intellectual dishonesty.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

he will appoint him over all his belongings”, as referring to the GB having rightful ownership of all Watchtower and individual congregational assets worldwide.

Or in other words grab the assets and money before this scam collapses.

How can corrupt lying apostates such as the leaders of the WTS/JWS be the identifying faithful servants chosen by god ? .

They are truly false prophets which have been preaching and saying things that the Master have not told them to say, and they have disobeyed Jesus for setting a time upon god's own sacred time ?

They are loyal servants to themselves, exploiting people's ignorance of what the bible really says, while cultivating their own power and building up possessions from what people have given them.

• Earnest
    Earnest
    Slim, the paragraph (9) from the 2009 Watchtower clearly says Christ has appointed the faithful and discreet slave over ... the world headquarters, branch offices, Assembly Halls and Kingdom Halls worldwide.

But at the Annual Meeting in 2012 when it was first announced that the "faithful and discreet slave" was the Governing Body, it was also discussed when Jesus appoints the slave "over all his belongings". The report says :

Jesus said that the “master on arriving” (literally, “having come”) will appoint the slave “over all his belongings.” When does the Master, Jesus, arrive?

The expression translated “on arriving” is a form of the Greek word erʹkho·mai. Verses 42 and 44 of chapter 24 translate a form of erʹkho·mai as “coming.” In those verses, Jesus is referring to his coming as Judge during the great tribulation.​—Matthew 24:30; 25:31, 32.

Jesus’ appointment of the “slave” over his “belongings,” then, must also be a future event. He will make that appointment during the great tribulation.

I'm confused. Has he appointed the slave over all his belongings, or will he yet do so?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes, I came across that when searching last night too. Very confusing.

As far as I can make out, in 2009 the GB claimed that Jesus has given the “faithful slave” all his belongings now, during his presence. (This was the long-standing teaching as far as I recall, but with a new and revealing emphasis in 2009 on Watchtower real estate.) Whereas in 2012 this was revised, and they now understand that Jesus will give the “faithful slave” (newly, narrowly defined as the GB alone) all his belongings in the future, when he comes to judge during the great tribulation.

So does that technically mean that the GB no longer claim that Jesus has already given them all his belongings, including all the Watchtower property worldwide? That’s what they seem to be saying. I don’t know if they have thought it through carefully given the implications for their 2009 claim to ownership of all Watchtower property. The GB have done so much tinkering with teachings around the “generation” and “faithful slave” in recent years, it's quite difficult to keep up with it all. Maybe they’ve even confused themselves to some extent.

Whatever the case, I think Rolf Furuli is definitely onto something when he identifies this Watchtower from 2009 that makes explicit reference to the “faithful slave” having rightful ownership of all Watchtower property. Even if they have tinkered with the teaching in the meantime, the mentality of the GB in 2009 toward ownership of Watchtower property makes sense in light of their subsequent actions.

• Corney
    Corney

slim, at least one similar statement was published earlier, in 2007:

7 Here the slave is called a steward, a word translated from a Greek term denoting “the manager of a household or estate.” The collective steward would not simply be a group of intellectuals who explain interesting points from the Bible. In addition to providing nourishing spiritual food “at the proper time,” “the faithful steward” would be appointed over the entire body of Christ’s attendants and assigned to manage all of Christ’s interests on earth, "all his belongings.” What would this entail?

8 The slave’s responsibilities include the supervision of the material facilities used by Christ’s followers to carry out their Christian activities, such as the world headquarters and branch offices of Jehovah’s Witnesses, as well as their places of worship​—Kingdom Halls and Assembly Halls—​throughout the world. More important, the slave also oversees spiritually upbuilding programs of Bible study at weekly meetings and periodic assemblies and conventions. At these gatherings, information on the fulfillment of Bible prophecies is dispensed, and timely direction on how to apply Bible principles in daily life is given.

9 The steward’s responsibilities also include the supervision of the all-important work of preaching “this good news of the kingdom” and making “disciples of people of all the nations.” ...

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2007245

Interestingly, in 2001 they interpreted the belongings more narrowly:

‘The faithful slave’ has been ‘appointed over all his master’s belongings.’ These include facilities at headquarters in New York State, U.S.A., and the 110 branches now operating worldwide.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2001051

But in most cases, this term didn't explicitily refer to the organization's assets:

Jesus had so much confidence in the slave class that he appointed it over “all his belongings”​—that is, all his spiritual interests on the earth. (2006)

What are the belongings over which the newly crowned Master appointed his faithful slave? All the spiritual things that belong to Him here on earth. For example, two decades after Christ’s enthronement in 1914, “a great crowd” of “other sheep” was identified. (2004)

"Kingdom interests on earth" (2002, 2001, 1994)

"So, what are “all his belongings”? These are all the spiritual assets on earth that have become Christ’s property in connection with his authority as heavenly King. This definitely included the commission to make disciples of Christ, with the grand privilege of acting as representatives of God’s established Kingdom to all the nations of the world. ...the slave class has been appointed over all the Master’s belongings ​— his Kingdom interests on earth —​ and these belongings keep on increasing. (1993)

Dislaimer: this list isn't exhaustive, and I cannot guarantee I haven't overlooked some relevant and different statements.

• careful
    careful

I'm no fan of Furuli. Maybe he's on to something here regarding "all his belongings" (although according to Corney, it goes back a bit further in time), but the comments above like "very confusing" and "tinkering with ... teaching" (SBF) point up something that Furuli may have somewhat right. All the current GB can do is "tinker" and "confuse" faithful JWs because they are confused themselves. Look at who they put in charge of doctrine/Bible study: David Splane. If he's their great intellectual who threw out, without considering the consequences, the backbone of WTS theology by his "tinkering" because he is incapable of anything of depth, well then, what should one expect from the current GB? Does anyone else get the impression that Splane is "drifty"?

• Steel
    Steel

This guy has always struck me as a delusional narcissist who was only a JW for trolling reasons. Now the spotlight is on him because he is getting kicked out.

I bet he is still a major asshole in real life . Nothing much to see here.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

What really helped me wake up was realizing that the GB had further interpreted the "faithful slave appointment" thing as a reference to them essentially governing the planet after Armageddon.

When I thought of the WTS (for all intents and purposes) ruling the world forever, I actually felt sick to my stomach.

And I was still in at the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit