Rolf Furuli has broken with the GB

by careful 95 Replies latest members private

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen

Is point 1 on the disagreement list correct or on the wrong list? Seems like jw pollicy to me

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In it he claims JWs are still the only true religion but that the GB has gone bad

A single religoius organization that started out with engaging false teachings, false theology (non-biblical supported ) and continues to teach these false doctrines luring people to accept them, turns out to create an organization that is rooted in false doctrines, as well making people make a personal vow of loyalty to them.

This happened most likely to the fact than the men who created these doctrines were also executive directors of a religoius publishing house and is the factual truth to the matter.

This leaves the question, who and where is false religion operating today ?

• dozy
    dozy

Interesting thread.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Is point 1 on the disagreement list correct or on the wrong list? Seems like jw pollicy to me

No, it is a disagreement, and Furuli explicitly says so.

The 2013 NWT says:

Some feel that the name was pronounced “Yahweh,” whereas others suggest different possibilities. A Dead Sea Scroll containing a portion of Leviticus in Greek transliterates the divine name Iao. Besides that form, early Greek writers also suggest the pronunciations Iae, I·a·beʹ, and I·a·ou·eʹ. However, there is no reason to be dogmatic. We simply do not know how God’s ancient servants pronounced this name in Hebrew.

Whereas Furuli argues that Watchtower is wrong to say this because in his view the form Yahweh is “linguistically impossible”. In effect Furuli is arguing that Watchtower concede too much to their opponents on this issue and that the form Jehovah or Yehowa has more solid evidence in its favour than Watchtower claims. It is one of these cases where apologists sometimes have a tendency to ultraorthodoxy, that is to go above and beyond in the service of protecting the teachings of the mother organisation from detractors. Other instances of similar phenomena are where JWs would defend the use of the word “impale” in the old NWT above and beyond anything that Watchtower said in its defence, plus again in Furuli’s book, the treatment of 49,000 year jubilee system, and the antitypes in older Watchtower material, already discussed.

Incidentally I’ve been asked to point out that 78 contains an error:

78. The idea that the name Jehovah comes from the verb “to be” is “pure speculation” (my comment: it was Fred Franz who came up with this one, not the current GB)

Because Fred Franz didn’t come up with the idea that the name Jehovah is related to the verb “to be”. He introduced it to Watchtower theology from existing scholarship.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Interesting. I wonder what effect this will have in Norway. I think of Norwegians as being smart & educated, and I wonder how many of them are having doubts for the same reasons many of us did. Is it possible this situation with Furuli could cause a significant number of them to finally wake up and leave?

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I find it bizarre that he (or anyone for that matter) still believes in the 49,000 year Jubilee cycle. It's so 1800's.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" It's so 1800's." So is the 2520 years that Furuli still vainly tries to make fit with History, which he never will.

The funny thing is that for an intelligent guy like this, he does not see that the whole idea of extrapolating a prophetic period not even hinted at in Daniel is nonsense of the first order.

He has spent so many years defending this utter tripe that his pride will not allow him to admit he was wrong.

You need a good measure of humility to wake up fully, and need to admit that recognised and respected scholars in the field of Bible Exegesis know a hell of a lot more than you do, and a thousand times more than the JW org does.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Magnum: " I wonder what effect this will have in Norway. I think of Norwegians as being smart & educated" ... It's unlikely to have much effect. From Wiki: "A plurality of Norwegians do not believe in a god. A 2016 survey asking 4,000 people "Do you believe in God?" resulted in 39% saying "No", 37% saying "Yes" and 23% saying "I don't know".....

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Finkelstein - "A single religious organization that started out with engaging false teachings, false theology (non-biblical supported ) and continues to teach these false doctrines luring people to accept them, turns out to create an organization that is rooted in false doctrines..."

Bingo.

And realizing that is sometimes a bit of a milestone in some XJWs' exit... it's not much of a stretch to go from "they had it once but lost it" to "they probably never had it".

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    slimboyfat - "It is one of these cases where apologists sometimes have a tendency to ultraorthodoxy, that is to go above and beyond in the service of protecting the teachings of the mother organisation from detractors."

Unsurprising.

It's often the staunchest defenders that eventually become the most vocal critics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit