Rolf Furuli has broken with the GB

by careful 95 Replies latest members private

• Splash
    Splash

Does anyone know what, if any, of Furuli’s quotes are in the WT publications?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am not aware of any quotes from Furuli in Watchtower literature. There is a suspicion he helped them write some Watchtower articles on chronology, anonymously obviously.

There are some examples of references to Furuli’s books on Watch Tower headed letters, that’s probably the closest.

Watchtower doesn’t quote ordinary members or refer to their work on biblical topics.

They quoted James Penton on Watchtower history before he turned apostate and that backfired.

They showcased Nicholas Kip as someone who converted to JWs because of his knowledge of Greek. Word is he later left JWs.

Bizarrely I think they quoted Jerry Bergman once although he had already turned apostate. That was an apparent mess up that probably got some junior writer into trouble.

• careful
    careful

Having problems reducing jpgs so they fit here. Will finish later. To my knowledge you can just get his book thru awatu. You can always check Amazon.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In some ways Rolf Furuli’s book is a nostalgia fest for an imagined era of freedom and intellectual depth in 1970s Watchtower land. Even the cover is ostentatiously retro, featuring the Brooklyn headquarters, that were vacated and sold some time ago.

Plus it’s never a great sign of quality, it seems to me, whenever an author includes PhD after their name on a book cover. It signals amateur and maverick, usually not in a good sense.

John Redwood—buy the book! I’m sure JW Survey coffers can stretch to that.

• careful
    careful

SBF, an excellent comment on the book, "a nostalgia fest for an imagined era of freedom and intellectual depth in 1970s Watchtower land." I'm sure the faithful will say that he wasn't keeping up with Jehovah's chariot.

Seriously, i wonder if there is something physically wrong with Furuli's brain, perhaps an undiagnosed tumor or something like that.

Two pages from the TOC:

and

• TD
    TD

Perhaps this is premature, (Because I don't have the book yet) but a quick perusal of the TOC reminds me of Robert King, who left primarily over personal issues with the management and not any particular doctrine.

• careful
    careful

Finally, JR asked for some pages from a chapter. Here are two and a third will follow in the next post since I'm having problems loading due to memory issues:

-

• careful
    careful

Last page of the chapter sample:

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Something I wonder about with prominent JWs who turn apostate, like Penton, Franz, Stafford, and Furuli: how do their wives feel about it, and how much input do they have in the decision to leave? Because it must be a huge upheaval for some women who’ve invested their whole lives in the beliefs and the community of JWs to face life, either as wife of an apostate, divorced, or leave JWs along with her husband; a terrible set of options if she’s not exactly on the same page as her husband.

The only one I recall reading much detail about is Marion Penton who was reportedly fully on board. (In the account by James Beverley) There were rumours that Cynthia Franz was very reluctant to make a break from JWs and took a long time to adjust to the fact they were never going back. Technically I don’t think she was ever disassociated.

Rose Ball is another one who springs to mind. Was she fully on board with leaving the Bible Students and forming their own group, or did she follow her husband reluctantly?

I think it’s fair to say it’s usually the husband who makes the decision to leave, and the wife decides between the religion and the marriage.

The only converse example that springs to mind is Barbara Anderson who left first and her husband followed later.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This is rather amusing to watch for me, as to how it pans out. Furuli is an Elder, and is speaking out on a number of issues showing that he does not believe the Governing Body is directed by the Holy Spirit, or by Jehovah. At least, not directed on the important issues he deals with.

Therefore he should be Disfellowshipped according to the Rules made by these mere men, but as he has clearly shown, these guys on the Governing Body have no mandate from Scripture to do so !

What will the Congregation, the Branch, and even the G.B do ??? They are in a Catch22 situation !

The ramifications are HUGE, if they leave him alone, they are agreeing with what the book he has written says, and will then lose a lot of the Control that they are so addicted to, if they DF him, I doubt he will be silent, and will maybe take Court action against what they are doing. ??? if that is possible. At the very least there will probably be another book in it for him !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit