What Name Does the New Testament Emphasize - Jehovah or Jesus?

by Vanderhoven7 263 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Well, knowing and even using the name Yaho is not critical to salvation. What is critical is knowing, i.e., having a personal faith-based relationship with both Father and Son through regeneration. You must be born again as a free gift of God or you cannot enter the kingdom of His Son. Those who come to the Son will have the Father revealed to them.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

"Proskyneo" is consistently translated as "worship" in the King James. "Proskyneo" is applied 21 times to the Father and 17 times to the Son.

Perhaps the KJ (and others) are often too keen to interpret proskyneo as "worship."

• to kiss the hand to (towards) one, in token of reverence

• among the Orientals, esp. the Persians, to fall upon the knees and touch the ground with the forehead as an expression of profound reverence

• in the NT by kneeling or prostration to do homage (to one) or make obeisance, whether in order to express respect or to make supplication

1. used of homage shown to men and beings of superior rank

1. to the Jewish high priests

2. to God

3. to Christ

4. to heavenly beings People constantly exhibit proskyneo to H.M. Queen Elizabeth 2, but they are not worshiping her.

• waton
    waton
    they will never be co-rulers with Jesus in heaven (or on the Earth during the 1,000 years). In support of that consider the following:

DJW: ----Rev. 20:4

to" rule:--- executed with the axe, for witnessing to Jesus and speaking about GOD."

to rule for the millenium you can not die in the warwick infirmary.***

so,

GB, witness to Jesus, and take up an assignment in Afghanistan or surroundings and witness to Jesus, or speak about any god but Eli, as Jesus did on His dying breath.

PS:*** partaking is easy. billions have.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I’m not so sure that knowing and using the divine name isn’t necessary for salvation. Acts 15 suggests Christians would be identified by the divine name. Acts 2 says that those calling on the name will be saves and Acts 4 says Jesus is the name of the saviour given among men for salvation. Revelation 3:12 says Jesus will write the names of God, Jerusalem, and his own new name on the foreheads of believers. Matt 1:21 says that Jesus is called Jesus because it is by means of him that Jehovah provides salvation. In total it seems that it is necessary for believers to know and use the names of both Jehovah and Jesus, one or the other is not sufficient.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Calling on Jehovah will not help save anyone. It did not save the Pharisees and it will not save anyone else who does not call on and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.the only name under heaven whereby we may be saved. Yes, Jehovah’s name is in Jesus' name. So when you call on Jesus name, you are calling on Jehovah.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The scripture says we need to call on the name of Jehovah to be saved. I don’t know there is any scripture that says we need to call on the name of Jesus to be saved, is there? I can’t think of one.

In the New Testament Jehovah God is the source of salvation and Jesus is the saviour that Jehovah has sent to save humans. The distinct roles are very clear. Jesus ascribes salvation to Jehovah God by his name, his words and his deeds.

• Riley
    Riley

slimboyfat

You sure seem to struggle with basic bible narrative.

John 1:18

Lets me guess " but but but Jesus is just a god, not a god ".

Me- Who were they talking too in the old testament ?

SBF- That was " a god ".

Me- A god named Jehovah ?

SBF- Yeah but is just a god, not god.

Me- So Jehovah is like Zeus ?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Slim

Catch the context of Romans 10:13.

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.(Romans 10:13) Joel 2:32 is also quoted also by Peter, in his great Pentecostal sermon (Acts 2:21).

You can't apply Romans 10:13 to anyone who does not believe what leads up to it. That if you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Ro.10:9

Coming to Jesus, confessing him as Lord, believing in His death and resurrection, is the basis by which God saves and justifies sinners

Romans 10:13 does not work in a vacuum....or every religious Jew would be saved while rejecting Christ and His atoning work on our behalf. And the Apostles were wasting their time preaching Christ.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Vanderhoven7:

Is there a possiblity that you're misunderstanding SBF when he states that ‘placing faith in Jesus is also placing faith in the Father Jehovah, who sent him.’ (Those are my words, not his,verbatim. Actually this thought was conveyed by Christ himself at Jn 14.1)

If the President of USA sends Nancy Pelosi to Taiwan to convey the message that we as a country will stand by Taiwan should China try to invade Taiwan (She may say to them: "You will be safe with us") ... Should we, or they, conclude then, that all Taiwan needs from now on is Pelosi , forget the President of USA who sent her, no need for him any longer. Pelosi is now God. The Messenger then became 'greater than the Sender'? End of matter?

You make it sound like all a Christian needs to do is believe in Jesus and you're done. Not quite! Even mainstream scholars understand there is more to it than that.

Within the Jewish mode of thinking, they already had, for centuries, honored the God of the Hebrews YAHO (so they thought), but would they now honor the Messenger of God, Jesus? It was vital for the Jews to accept this new 'instrument of salvation' provided by their God. Jesus was clear when he communicated that they now had to ‘honor the Son as they honor the Father. (Jn 5.21) Jesus was not there to replace the Father as "the Most High" God. (Jn 14.6, 20.17, Ps 83.18, Lu 1.35)

I know there are various interpretations surrounding Jesus' role in the whole scheme of things. One scripture that stands out as a summary of why Jesus is so important in the lives of not only the Jews, but also of everyone else on earth, is this one from John 20.31: "But these have been written down so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and because of believing, you may have life by means of his name."

From what you're saying, someone can get the impression that faith in the Father is no longer necessary. 'Jehovah is superflous,' or so it seems. But the whole emphasis of Christian writings is there to convince people everywhere that 'Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, through whom we gain everlasting life.' Someone greater than Jesus gave him the name above every [other] name. (Jn 3.16, 14.28, Acts 4.12)

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Wonderment,

The New Testament emphasis on is on Christ because there is no salvation apart from Him. Many people believe in God, but reject the Jesus of scripture and go about relying on their own righteousness to win God's approval. It won't work.

There is nothing wrong with doing good things and obeying God's moral standards as revealed in scripture. That is what God’s Spirit helps Christians to want to do. But the works themselves are powerless to save or sanctify. Only the blood of Christ can do that.

It is not what you and I can do that will make us right with God, but what His Son did for us at Calvary. We can't make what He did more beautiful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit