What Name Does the New Testament Emphasize - Jehovah or Jesus?

by Vanderhoven7 263 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

It seems to me scripturally speaking, that Jehovah's Witnesses are emphasizing the wrong name.

It should be JESUS, not JEHOVAH

For example:

Who is the way, the truth and the life? (John 14:6)

To whose name would Christians witness? (Acts 1:8)

For whose name would Christians be hated? (Matt. 10:22)

For whose name would Christians be reproached? (1 Peter 4:14)

For whose name would Christians be persecuted and killed? (Luke 21:12,16,17)

For whose name would Christians make sacrifices? (Matt. 19:29)

By whose name alone were people be saved? (Acts 4:12)

By whose name were people healed? (Acts 3:6; Acts 4:10)

By whose name were demons expelled? (Luke 10:17; Acts 16:18)

By whose name would people receive Holy Spirit? (John 14:26)

By whose name would believers be named? (Isa. 62:2; Acts 11:26)

By whose name would people be reconciled to God? (Rom. 5:10; 2 Cor. 5:18)

By whose name would people be forgiven their sins? (Matt. 26:28; Acts 2:38; Eph. 1:7)

By whose name would people be resurrected (John 5:28)

In whose name would people pray to God? (John 15:16)

In whose name would people be baptized? (Acts 2:38, 8:16, 10:48, 19:5, 22:16)

In whose name were people to put faith? (John 2:23)

In whose name would people be judged? (John 5:27)

In whose name was Paul commissioned to preach? (Acts 9:14-16)

In whose name were Christians to gather together? (Matt. 18:20)

In whose name will every knee in heaven and on earth bend? (Philippians 2:10)

Jesus - not "Jehovah."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The name Jesus literally means Jehovah is our salvation. Every time the name Jesus is used it is to the glory of his God. (Matt 1:21; John 17:6, 11; Rev 3:12)

• joao
    joao

That's the reason why God's name doesn't appear anywhere in the 5000 copies of the NT, except for two occurrences of the short form in Revelation. Only in the NWT was it "artificially" introduced about 237 times, if I remember correctly. Even so, the name Jesus appears more than 300 times, again, if I'm not mistaken. This says quite a lot about the subject!

• Riley
    Riley

I believe the ambiguous use of the tetragrammaton in the new testament is by design, not corruption.

I watched a lecture series called " the two powers in heaven " that kind of lead me to that idea. Interesting stuff.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Cut to the chase: There is no way in hell that the name 'Jehovah' has anything to do with the New Testament. The New Testament was written in the 1st century...the hybrid name 'Jehovah' was invented nearly 1,300 years later by a Catholic Spanish Monk in late 13th century.

With the name 'Jehovah' out of the picture...just focus on the name 'Jesus'...very simple!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

However many times (over 7,000) the name 'Jehovah' appears in WT's Revised New World Translation Of The Bible...that's how many errors/mistakes (over 7,000) there are in the Jehovah’s Witnesses' Silver Bullet!

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Everyone knows that the WT inserted the name Jehovah hundreds of times in the NT without one shred of manuscript evidence.

God himself explains WHY he didn't use his OT name in the NT. It is simple. The name of Jesus is higher than the name of Jehovah.

Phil. 2: 9-11 explains: "Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and has given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow

He is the top entity in the universe.

Col. 1: 18 in all things he might have the preeminence.

He is the Mediator between God and man reconciling the two. So, as God he reconciles man to himself.

Col. 1:20 “And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself;

One of the most striking examples of the deity and preeminence of Jesus is the fact that the phrase "thus saith the Lord" appears 430 times in the Old Testament. But, Jesus NEVER used this phrase not even once. It is not used anywhere in the New Testament at all. However, the gospels record Jesus saying over 130 times - "I SAY UNTO YOU".

1 Tim. 3: 16 - God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

JW's have the wrong Jesus and can't follow even the simplest instructions on how to get their sins forgiven as instructed in Mt. 26: 27-28

JW's are at war with the King of Kings as they lie to the public about their true doctrines.... for their own good of course they reason.

I believe JW's have some sort of split personality. At the very minimum they are trained Consummate Liars.

It is a point of much regret that I used to be a consummate liar too - "No, of course I'm not here to get you to join my religion; I'm just encouraging bible reading."
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Great stuff Sea Breeze!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Whose name was to be "publicly declared" by Christians?

The Bible tells Christians to witness to Christ - not to Jehovah. Christians were never instructed to do anything in Jehovah's name.

(Acts 1:8) But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the most distant part of the earth.”

(Matthew 10:18) ....before governors and kings for my sake, for a witness....

(Mark 13:9) ...be put on the stand......for my sake, for a witness to them.

(Luke 24:48) You are to be witnesses of these things.

(Acts 1:8) ..witnesses of me in Jerusalem,.....the most distant part of the earth.”

(John 1:15) (John bore witness about him, (Jesus)

(John 5:37) And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me.

(John 8:18) ...bears witness about myself, and the Father..bears witness about me.”

(John 15:26, 27) ....bear witness about me; and you, in turn, are to bear witness....

(Acts 9:15, 16) But the Lord said to him: “Go! because this man is a chosen vessel to me to bear my name [Jesus] to the nations as well as to kings and the sons of Israel. For I will show him plainly how many things he must suffer for my name.”

(Acts 10:39) And we are witnesses of all the things he did.......

(Acts 10:43) To him (Jesus) all the prophets bear witness....

(Acts 13:31) .......These are now his witnesses to the people.

(Acts 22:15) because you are to be a witness for him (Jesus) to all men......

(Acts 22:20) and when the blood of Stephen your witness...

(Acts 23:11) ....witness about me in Jerusalem,.....also bear witness in Rome.”

(Acts 26:16) .....a witness .....................respecting me.

(1 Corinthians 1:6) ...the witness about the Christ has been made firm among you,

(1 Timothy 2:6, 7) ...this is what is to be witnessed to in its own due time.

(2 Timothy 1:8) ....the witness about our Lord.......

(1 John 5:9) ....this is the witness God gives, the witness.....about his Son.

(Revelation 1:9) ......bearing witness concerning Jesus.

(Revelation 12:17) ....have the work of bearing witness concerning Jesus.

(Revelation 17:6) ......and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus.

(Revelation 19:10) ....witnessing concerning Jesus...the witness concerning Jesus...”

(Revelation 20:4) ...for the witness they gave about Jesus......

Christians were to witness for Christ. There is not one single verse which commands Christians to witness for Jehovah. Jesus was assigned to be God's witness:

(Revelation 1:5) "....Jesus Christ, “the Faithful Witness,”

(Revelation 3:14) "....the faithful and true witness.."

We are assigned to be Jesus' witnesses

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Preach it Brother V!

I hope GodBeliever is taking notes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit