What Name Does the New Testament Emphasize - Jehovah or Jesus?

by Vanderhoven7 263 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gman2001
    Gman2001

We are to be witnesses of Jesus

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

On page 23 of this topic Vanderhoven7 quotes the 1995 NASB translation of Hebrews 1:8-12 of which verse 8 says in part "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever". On the same page of the topic thread I also made a comment about Hebrews 1:8. In this post I am documenting scholarly support of the NWT translation of "God is your throne" for part of verse 8.

The translators' note for Hebrews 1:8 in the 1901 ASV says "Or, Thy throne is God for &c.". The translators' note for Hebrews 1:8 in the RSV (in both the First Edition of the NT [copyright 1946] and in the Second Edition of the NT [copyright 1971]) says Or, God is thy throne". The translators' note for Hebrews 1:8 in the NRSV (copyright 1989) says Or, God is your throne". The translation of Hebrews 1:8 in The Twentieth Century New Testament ... Revised Edition (copyright 1904) says "... God is thy throne for ever and ever ...". The Complete Bible: An American Translation (of which the NT was translated by Edgar J. Goodspeed; copyright 1939) translates Hebrews 1:8 as "... God is your throne forever and ever ...".

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

The Bible in Living English (by Byington; copyright 1972 by the WT) in Hebrews 1:8 says "... God is your throne for ever and ever ..." and at Psalms 45:6 it says "God is your throne forever and evermore ...".

The Bible; A New Translation (by Moffatt; copyright 1935) in Hebrews 1:8 says "... God is thy throne for ever and ever ...". Oddly at Psalms 45:6 it doesn't use the word "God", but uses the phrase "shall stand" instead.. In that verse it says "Your throne shall stand for ever more ..." The reason for such could be the scholarly conjecture (#3) mentioned in the translators' note to Hebrews 1:8 in the Fifth Edition of the The New Testament In Modern Speech (by Weymouth and "Newly Revised By James Alexander Robertson") in reference to Psalms 45:6. That NT by Weymouth says the conjecture says the following.

"(3) A corrupt Hebrew text, ' Yahweh ' (God), being a mistake for the almost identical Hebrew word meaning ' shall be '--' Thy throne shall be for ever and ever.' This conjecture is widely adopted, but the writer of the Epistle, in applying the wors of the psalm to the Son, would not feel the difficulty ; and ' Thy throne, O God ' may stand."

Weymouth's NT says conjectures #1 through #2 say the following.

"(1) ' Thy throne is the throne of God ' (so. R.V. mg. in the Psalm).

(2) Thy throne is God for ever and ever.' "

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Correction: In my prior post where I said "... applying the wors of ..." I should have said "... applying the words of ...".

Further information: I notice that the 1885 RV, the 1898 ARV (published by Oxford and by Cambridge), and the 1901 ASV each have the translators' note for Psalms 45:6 of "Or, Thy throne is the throne of God &c."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit