What Name Does the New Testament Emphasize - Jehovah or Jesus?

by Vanderhoven7 263 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

@ GB - it seems that before, during, & after his earthly existence, Jesus had/has a God he praises.

Micah 5:4 - “And he will certainly stand and do shepherding in the strength of Jehovah, in the superiority of the name of Jehovah HIS God.

John 20:17 - Jesus said to her: “Stop clinging to me. For I have not yet ascended to the Father. But be on your way to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to MY Father and your Father and to MY God and your God.’

Romans 15:6 - ...you may with one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 1:3 - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ...................

2 Corinthians 11:31 - The God and Father of the Lord Jesus...

Ephesians 1:3 - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ...

Hebrews 1:9 - That is why God, YOUR God, anointed you with [the] oil of exultation...”

1 Peter 1:3 - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ........

Revelation 1:6 - And he made us to be a kingdom, priests to HIS God and Father.......................

Revelation 3:2 - ...for I have not found your deeds fully performed before MY God.

Revelation 3:12 - “The one that conquers - I will make him a pillar in the temple of MY God...and I will write upon him the name of MY God and the name of the city of MY God, the new Jerusalem which descends out of heaven from MY God, and that new name of mine."

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    SB what argument should I win because what you support doesn't make sense! Why God will worship to Himself, pray to Himself and subject to Himself? Jehovah never called Jesus My God, whereas Jesus call His Father " My God".

You already know the answer to this question. It was explained to you with many scriptural references to you on page 2 of this thread. The reason is because Jesus is a Tri-Partite being just like you or me.

You and every other JW continually try to frame this topic as an either or scenario. But, it is not an either or scenario, it is a both scenario. Regardless of the countless times that the Bible and Christians present a portrait of Jesus as BOTH God and Man, JW's are trained to ignore this and just keep on arguing a point that no Christian has a problem with.

Jesus, the son of Mary is just as human as you or I. As such, it is appropriate for Jesus to pray to God. If the body is all there is to Jesus, then that would be the end of the discussion....Jesus is not God - and the bible contradicts itself.

However the WT has taught a view that is foreign to the bible. It is a heresy.... one that effects other biblical doctrines.

God has explained how we are made. We are constituted of three parts - soul body & spirit.

The bible writers assume that the reader understands that fact. The view that we are only a body and that the soul is just our bad breath and your spirit is simply electricity - is a belief that is found in the modern worldview of Materialistic Naturalism, not the bible. Several false philosophies of the 18th and 19th centuries laid the groundwork in which Materialism could later take root and grow.

The WT bought into this and adopts an unbiblical materialistic belief on the nature of man.

They deny that we ourselves are anything other than a body when it comes to personhood.. Yet God says that, like him, we are a tri-partite being:

1 Thessalonians 5:23 - And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

This is illustrated extensively throughout scripture: In language, personal pronouns denote personhood. He, she, I, they, etc. The bible assumes that the reader understands this 3rd grade grammar. For example:

Rev. 6 - I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

See all the personal pronouns? They are disembodied PERSONS who can think, speak, remember, complain and be comforted.

The bible is full of examples like this:

1Co_5:3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

Isaiah 26:9 With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early

These should suffice to show that in the bible your body, soul and spirit are all characterized as YOU, AND NOT AN IT like the WT tries to present.

This understanding that the WT has told you to reject clears up why you are having such a "problem". Jesus' body is the son of Mary, making him fully man. The spirit of Jesus was God himself. "God is a spirit". God is indivisible being omnipresent So, Jesus is fully God as well.

This is why the bible calls him God's only-begotten (begotten means out of his essence) son. Angels were created but Jesus came out from the essence of the Father. This was a onetime, single solitary never-to-be-repeated event for all eternity - only-begotten.

The bible teaches that Jesus is both God and Man at the same time.

This chart illustrates how Jesus is both fully Man and fully God:

I am not saying that you have to believe any of this. But, if you continue to reject this clear biblical teaching on the nature of man, you must logically conclude that Jesus was a mad man. You certainly cannot conclude that Jesus was any sort of a good person. Good people don't run around saying they are God.

Perhaps no better example of this biblical truth is the entire exchange in John 8 where Jesus switches back and forth in one conversation from speaking as God to speaking as a man.

John 8: 24

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins. 25Then said they unto him, Who art thou?

And Jesus saith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning..... 27They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.

Wow! If a person doesn't believe that Jesus is Jehovah, they will die in their sins! But, then almost right away Jesus changes from speaking as God, to speaking as a man:

"And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him."

The Pharisees are shocked at this exchange and conclude he has a demon because he speaks as BOTH a man and as God. Then Jesus again changes from talking as a man with a beginning to God with no beginning and who is the great I AM.

"Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil? 49Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me....Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."

There are many more examples of Jesus speaking as a man AND as God in this exchange recorded in John 8. This is because he is.

None of this is of any importance to you because the bible is a closed book to you just as the WT has taught you. The WT views the bible as belonging only to them and as such they can pick and choose which scriptures to cite in support of their lies and which ones to ignore.... just as you do. Without any embarrassment I might add.

It is shocking to people when they get a grasp of the depth of ignorance and bondage that JW's are in when they subject themselves mentally to such hucksters.

These hucksters speak as God and view their proclamations as the bible itself!

Watchtower December 15, 2008, pg. 28 – “Our

coming to know „the truth‟ - the entire body of

Christian teachings that has become part of the

Bible - and adhering to it are essential for our

salvation”.

No one would have ever believed that human ignorance could sink so far as to accept the illogical and blasphemous decrees of 8 biblically illiterate obese fat men who imagine themselves to be the Savior of the world.

Yet, talk to any JW and you will soon have proof of what is possible.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Sea Breeze, even if the Bible consistently teaches that humans and Jesus are a Tri-Partite being (including containing a part of God, such as his 'breath" or his 'spirit'), I don't think that makes your case of Jesus being God in the sense you say and for the reasons you in your recent post. For consider this, if hypothetically such is the case then it would also be proper for humans to worship each other as God and to worship themselves as God. Yes the Bible teaches against that.

Paul in at least one letter (Romans 1:22-25) teaches that the created beings (including humans) must not be worshiped. The book of Acts teaches that Herod was killed by an "angel of the Lord" for accepting worship by other humans. Acts 12:22 says the people said Herod had "a god's voice, and not a man's". Verse 23 says Herod was killed "because he did not give the glory to God". If the Bible teaches that Herod really is part God as you say all humans are, then according to your argument it would have been fine for Herod to accept being proclaimed as having a god's voice and for him to accept being worshiped.

Sea Breeze, since you claim that all humans have the spirit of God and and since you claim they are all thus a part of God or are all God, should I worship you and should you worship me? To me, your logic is clearly hugely flawed.

I noticed you used John 8:27 to make the claim that Jesus claimed to be the Father and thus Jehovah, but John 8:27 does not mean that. The statement of "he spoke to them of the Father" refers to what was said in verse 26. There the verse says that Jesus says he was sent by the Father (not that Jesus is the Father), for Jesus says he was sent by by one who is true and that Jesus spoke the very things he heard from that one. Furthermore verse 28 (1984 NWT) says that Jesus said "... I do nothing of my own initiative, but just as the Father taught me I speak these things." The NKJV translation of the verse has the same meaning as that of the 1984 NWT.

Repeatedly in the gospels Jesus is portrayed as carefully avoiding claiming to be God (he never proclaims of himself "I am God"), though he also is said to frequently claim to be God's son, to be from above, to be sent by God, and to be sent from the Father (namely God the Father). Furthermore, there is manuscript evidence that the NT was revised over time to make stronger claims about Jesus being divine. There is good reason to believe that the original copies of the books of the NT were even more clear of showing a distinction of Jesus from Jehovah (such as by using a form of the name YHWH in the texts, and possibly by explicitly including the word "he" after the phrase "I am" in the sayings attributed to Jesus).

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

In the words of Rodney King who had just gotten the crap beaten out of him by the LAPD:

"People, I just want to say, can't we all just get along?"

Let's all just agree that the original Bible in no way, shape or form emphasizes/mentions the hybrid term 'Jehovah'!

😁🤣😂

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Correction: I my prior post where I said "Yes the Bible teaches against that" I meant to say "Yet the Bible teaches against that".

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Vanderhoven7 (on page 15 of this topic thread) you made the following interesting comment. "If the New Testament is not reliable, and the name Jehovah was completely removed from all ancient manuscripts, God did not preserve His word." My conclusion is that the NT and the OT have indeed been revised and that they (even the best critical texts scholars have of them) are not entirely reliable, and thus that God did not preserve the original texts (the original wording) of the Bible as his word. I further conclude that means the God of the Bible does not exist and that he never existed.

Sanchy (on page 16 of this topic thread) you made the following interesting comment. "If as WT suggests, shadow groups have been able to alter Bible manuscripts by, for example, removing God's name from the NT, then what else might have they altered?" I conclude that the Bible has indeed been altered (at least by by making copies which include revised wording of earlier copies), including in specific ways that scholars have not yet discovered. The manuscripts of the NT available to scholars show that over time the NT did undergo many revisions, and furthermore that the Alexandrian text type of the NT is one of the best representatives the wording of the 3rd century CE text of the NT. But most likely even the 3rd century CE text of the NT is significantly revised from the original texts of the books of the NT.

Hopefully, to me, the above quoted comments of the two of you indicate that the minds (the figurative eyes) of the two of you are beginning to be opened to the following three truths. The original wording (and hence the original meaning) of much of the Bible was not accurately preserved by God. The Bible is not the word of God. The biblical God does not exist.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Regarding Acts 12:21-23, the Jewish historian named Josephus gives a considerably different account of what happened than what the book of Acts says. The account by Josephus is quoted at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herod_Agrippa under the heading of "Reign and death". The account by Josephus is far more in harmony with scientific naturalism than the Christian account in Acts. As a result, the account by Josephus is far more believable and worthy of trust by rational minded people who wish to avoid being superstitious.

• Gman2001
    Gman2001

If the JWs were biblical...their name should have been "Jesus Witnesses".

• Gman2001
    Gman2001

Disillusioned JW

Read every scripture that points to God being "more" than a singular being...vs the passages that would say otherwise. You will find that the previous greatly outnumber the latter. "God the Father" has a Son that has the samne nature he has...eternal.

I have always found this often looked over scripture from the OT interesting.

Gen 19:24

24 Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven;

"Lord" in this scripture is "Jehovah" both times.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Psalm 110:1 is a clear example where Jesus is called Lord (Adonai) in distinction from Jehovah (YHWH) and is a text that Christians found so useful in identifying Jesus that they referred to it more than any other Old Testament text. (Matthew 22:24; Mark 12:36; Luke 20:41–44; Acts 2:34, 35; Hebrews 1:13; and alluded to in other places)

Acts 2:34–36 For David did not ascend to the heavens, but he himself says, ‘Jehovah said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet.”’ Therefore, let all the house of Israel know for a certainty that God made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you executed on a stake.”

If the attempt by the first Christians was to confuse the identities then why did they so often quote a text that distinguishes Jesus from Jehovah? Really the first Christians made a clear distinction and it was Christians of later centuries who confused the identities of Jesus and Jehovah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit