X-JW Hypocrisy.

by DJ 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

DJ, I don't think I missed the point at all. Is it possible that you confuse being impolite with being intolerant? If that's the case then, Jesus Christ is a hypocrite under your definition. I don't believe that you would claim that He was unfailingly polite to the scribes and Pharisees when he was cutting the legs out from under their self-serving arguments. Perhaps it would be helpful to tighten up the definitions being bandied about in this thread? I maintain that I can be impolite while I'm suffering fools just as was Jesus; and I maintain that is not a hypocritical act. Now, if I refused even to hear a JW's explanation of why he believes as he does, THAT would be hypocritical. And I don't engage in that behavior, just as I don't suffer fools gladly.

sKally - "What a load of bull balls served cold!!" WTF are you talking about? Do you know? Let's hear it if you think you can explain it - although I won't listen to you gladly.

francois

P.S. - Where did you get your definition of tolerance, the one with "respect" in the definition?. Did you add the word "respect" on your own authority? You did, didn't you?

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

there is a cliche about being so open-minded that your brains fall out....and while I have seen that happen to certain regionally identified groups(--I lived in Massachusetts for a while)---basically it is my belief that you have to have some kind of standard or lines to draw in your own paradigm or you can't stand for anything. You can't have an opinion you are FOR if you don't have an opinion what you are AGANIST.... so there will be some people you will always disagree with, even feel contempt for certain things they stand for--the closer it gets to your passions the deeper the feelings. But opinions are wrongly afforded respect. Opinions are intangible, you can't 'respect' an opinion! You can respect a person who holds an opinion, or not. I don't respect everyone, and I don't apologize for it. Tolerance has nothing to do with respect. Tolerance has to do with supporting variety. A willingness to learn new things and experience the previously unknown or unconsidered. I don't care what the dictionary says it means. I can be perfectly tolerant and still disagree with someone who I have no respect for.

Now I think the whole DJ/StinkyP affair was a personality conflict more than an intolerance issue. I agree with you both on various things as you post, but I also have some real basic disagreements with both of you at times too. Infact I could guess that there are some things I would probably be comtemptful of in either of your paradigms. But as people who I know on only a limited basis, I can't say I disrespect you or dislike you. Who knows why sometimes we are more vulnerable than at other times and choose to get our feelings hurt when it was not about our feelings but rather about someone else's opinions? Just human I guess. But it is pride misguided when we can't even just say 'I am sorry I HURT YOU WITH MY OPINION', instead try to find a way to half-say it and still maintain our own 'right' to have our opinion. That to me is patronizing and insulting and I have seen it done on this forum many times! 'Oh I am so sorry you took what I said the wrong way' or 'I am sorry YOU feel that way'---that is childish. And incidentally very JW-ish. The fact is, sometimes we hurt other people, and sometimes we do it on purpose. Another human thing I guess. So I am glad DJ and StinkyP have made up. I like both of you.

Ravyn

• DJ
    DJ

I'll speak plainly because it seems that I've caused confusion for some. As many here may know I am a Christian and therefore I am intolerant (by defintion, see above). I will not condone or even respect or approve of behaviors, practices, beliefs or opinions of most of the world. I freely admit this and refuse to change. One needs to read the definition of tolerance and then see if they even would want to be called "tolerant". By that definition, I do not want to be and I am outright intolerant of anyone who is!! LOL. I don't judge people, that belongs to God alone and I love my neighbor to the best of my ability. That does not mean that I have to be tolerant. (again see the actual defintion). The hypocrisy that I speak of is to those X-JW's here who call themselves TOLERANT and declare the Christians to be INTOLERANTof others.....because we hold different beliefs than they do. They fail to see that they are intolerant as well. That is all the point is. There are the 2 sets of scales. Like I said, I have no intention of trying to be tolerant by definition. Again, you need to learn the defintion and ask yourself if you even want to be tolerant. Yes, I tolerate people...That is not going by the defintion of the word, tolerance. Tolerance is more than I want to do. It is not Christian to be tolerant by that definition. Christians will never respect the belief that sin is good. What we believe to be sin is our belief. If you don't respect that.......the you are intolerant as well. Hey, just admit it! I don't want to be tolerant by definition. I hope this clears it up for y'all! It has little to do with the jw's. I only used X-JW's in the title because that is what/who we are. I just hate to see us as hypocrits. I am not saying to be tolerant of them or to be tolerant of anyone. Please re read and stop putting words into my mouth! I just asked a provocative question and many have twisted it to mean other things. dj

• sf
    sf
    sKally - "What a load of bull balls served cold!!" WTF are you talking about? Do you know? Let's hear it if you think you can explain it - although I won't listen to you gladly.

Let me LET you hear it, if you think I will. Yet, I gladly decline to explain jackKrap to you.

You mean listen to me on mic in voice chat. I dare ya! I double-dare ya!!

Tolerate that.

sKally

• DJ
    DJ
    P.S. - Where did you get your definition of tolerance, the one with "respect" in the definition?. Did you add the word "respect" on your own authority? You did, didn't you?

Francois,

I stand falsely accused! You are like a child accusing me of that...! Jesus was not a hypocrit....you still don't get it. You just feel like being angry today. grrr... Chill and re-read the thread or back off because you are sounding silly!

• AGuest
    AGuest

Yikes!! (Bowing out...)

Uh... ummm... may all ya'll have yerselves a little bit 'o peace, today...if'n you can...

SJ

• Francois
    Francois

DJ - Tolerance - "Sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own." Merrian-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Note that the word "respect" does not appear in this definition. I have asked a legitimate question of you and you have responded by attempting to tell me what my motivations are, something that as a Christian you should know only God can do. I have no intention of backing off. Where did you get your definition of tolerance?

sKally - Grow up

francois

• obiwan
    obiwan

I'm of the mind that tolerance and respect go hand in hand, sometimes there is an opinion that we don't want to here out, but we tolerate the individual and there opinion and after hearing it sometimes we may find more truth in that person's opinion than we realized, so if we had not tolerated the person's opinion and heard it out, we may have lost out on a genuine opinion.

Then there's the old saying "Nobody's perfect".

• DJ
    DJ

I find it surprising or revealing, I'm not sure which one...that this word caused so much havoc. It is simple to me. Tolerate in Webster's means to recognize and respect other's beliefs, practices,etc. without sharing them. I'll even go further....Websters also says that tolerate means, to not interfere with; allow or permit { to tolerate heresy.}

Those definitions are not my own! look it up! If we are not ignorant of the definition, then perhaps we will stop using the word so freely.....that's all.....! This was not written in anger!! I just have a pet peeve about the misuse of words. Those who claim to be intelligent misuse this word quite often simply out of ingorance. LOL I use the word ignorance on purpose because it is often mistaken to mean rude or vulgar. etc.. Get it?? So....are you tolerant? I'm not and I'm cool with it.love, dj

• sf
    sf

Koward!

I K-new you wouldn't dare listen to me. I even double dared you!! How simply intolerant of you.

I triple dare!!

sKally...ROFOLOLOL...yahoooooooooooo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit