What is the most insensitive thing an Overseer or Elder has ever said and done to you?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• Rivergang
    Rivergang
    He became an elder and completely changed. He went from encouraging to judgemental pretty much overnight.

A general rule - which applies in the JW World just as much as anywhere else - is "If you want to know what a person is really like, place them in a position of authority".

I recall one brother who even affected a visible bantam rooster strut after being appointed an elder.

• waton
    waton

"we did not kill enough of you." freudian slip.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I could probably give you a big list. I remember one elder greeting a sister who hadn't set foot inside the KH for months because of serious health and employment issues with the words "OMG, look what the cat's dragged in." Then face-to-face to her, "sure nobody here remembers you, you have been gone so long!"

She stayed for the meeting but never returned. Last time we met her in the hospital one day she said she was happy going to a local pentecostal church who'd welcomed her with open arms.

• polish clarinet
    polish clarinet
    My father died when I was 13. He wasn't a JW but came with my mother and I to the sunday meeting from time to time. Several days later, two elders came to our home and just told us "Now that Simon's passed away, you've got not reason to be so irregular to the wednesday meeting anymore". There were their true words ! 35 years later, I remember it as it was yesterday !
  • polish clarinet
    polish clarinet

Another one ! When I met my non-witness wife, an elder just asked me "How can one fall in love with someone who for sure will be kill at Armaggudon ?"

I just asked him if his Creator's already given him the list, with the names...

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

He said that God wouldn't bless me if I celebrated Christmas or went to a church.

Lie.

• Paddy
    Paddy

An elder denied that I had received the heavenly calling (Romans 8:33).

• Paddy
    Paddy

Many years ago when I was an unbaptized publisher an elder with the surname "Jolley" snapped at me "you'll never be a Christian." In 2015, just before our district convention, I was anointed with holy spirit. About two years ago I came to the understanding that my Bible knowledge is far beyond what the Governing Body (or anyone else) possess (Matthew 17:11). I hear and feel all the pain here. I am preparing the way for Christ to act and rectify these problems (Mal. 3:1; 4:5,6; Rev. 11:3-6).

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

The most insensitive thing ever said to me didn't come from an elder or CO, but a Circuit Overseer's wife, well wife at the time. (They divorced sometime later.) Her name was Sister Shield, don't ask me her first name, because I have since forgotten. For some reason, this woman took a huge disliking to me. I was just married and had moved to my husband's town, and his congregation. On the first meeting, I was there when she was also there, she demanding why I was even attending this congregation, in a very unfriendly tone.

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

I was told by the CoBoE that many in the congregation were concerned about my answers. He wouldn't elaborate on numbers, status, demographics of those concerned about my answers. I told him that I was really surprised in that I quoted the society's literature on the matter (the unannounced and sudden requirement in cong for Bros to wear a suit behind the lectern) and quoted scripture. Literature stated dress was a personal matter. Anyway, he told me that my answers were diatribe. Told me that if it didn't stop there would need to be a shepherding visit in the context of Galatians 6:1. I told him that I was sorry that many were concerned and that they wouldn't hear me again. They didn't either as that was my last meeting. That was several years ago now. So on this occassion the direct arrogance of the BoE was responsible for a reduction in attendance numbers. I was contacted a year later and a shepherding visit was suggested to me. I quoted Psalm 23:1 and said that in the unlikely event of me needing such I'd contact them and they needn't contact me again. Since then I heard nothing until a week ago - memorial invitation. No congregation letter heading. They're being careful to present a personal invitation, avoiding cong / WT formally - perhaps to avoid falling foul of the GDPR in UK & Europe. I suspect the WT is behind an enhanced effort to bring back individuals who departed the organisation - hence memorial invites this year and not other years. The reduction in numbers nationally may be getting to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit