What is the most insensitive thing an Overseer or Elder has ever said and done to you?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Not so much a specific incident but I had a a person I considered a really good friend. He became an elder and completely changed. He went from encouraging to judgemental pretty much overnight.

A little backstory, he was an older man who, I believe, had been an elder previously and lost his privileges for what I can only assume was some stupid reason. His son was one of the most arrogant elders I knew. And I suspect he had something to do with getting his father removed.

Another time an elder and his wife inadvertently came to my door while preaching. At the time I was DFed and not going to meetings. I let him know I was DFed and then to my surprise he offered me a bible study. When I questioned it his wife assured me that he was an elder and it was OK for him to study with me. Still being mentally in I accepted. He came back as scheduled, but instead of having a study, without a word he handed me a meeting invitation and walked away.

Interestingly, later I applied for reinstatement and he was on the committee. I remember him saying "it's the truth, it's the truth, it's the truth". The way he said it I found myself wondering who he was trying to convince. Me or himself.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    he didn't like that I carried my books and magazines in my hands and not a service/book bag.

I would have asked him if maybe he'd like to carry them between the cheeks of his ass?

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Not something that happened to me, it happened to my dear mother several decades ago.

She was in the back seat of an eldurrs vehicle in field serve us. He turned in the drivers seat to see my mother who was behind his wife and asked, "------ do you know what an apostate looks like?" When she replied in the negative he told his female dog of a wife to hand my mother a mirror so she could tell the car group what she saw in it.

I did not know about this until shortly before she died, and that jack-ass was already dead. Otherwise I do believe he and I would have both been taken to the hospital. He, to get my boot removed from his rectum, and me to get it back!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

My kind generous Father studied with the JWs and everything he knew about the Bible and blood transfusions came from that study. He wasn't baptized yet but died because he needed blood during a surgery and was admonished to sigh the no blood paperwork beforehand.

The elders assured us that we would see him again soon and that he would be in the new system because he died upholding Jehovah's laws, nevertheless, they wouldn't allow us to have his memorial service at the Kingdom Hall because he wasn't baptized.

After suffering this unnecessary loss because of the JW's blood policy, this was the cruelest blow of all, to his family.

• minimus
    minimus

My take on many elders: they do not have real skills in anything. They don’t understand human nature. They obey whatever rules are dictated to them. Many have no common sense. Some aren’t very bright.

• minimus
    minimus

Pete. Awful.🌹

• Overrated
    Overrated

Pete zahut- I was an upright Jw but because my soon to be wife from another cong was not a pioneer or a super dub, I could not have our wedding in my home Kingdumb hall. But yet the friends wanted to be invited to the wedding and the dinner after. Such a loving bunch they are. They can pound sand far as am concern.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Pete. Awful.🌹

Thanks....yes and the worst thing of all was that a few months later, they came out with the new light on blood fractions. Knowing my Father, he surely would have seen how ridiculous this was and would have re-thougt the whole JW blood policy. At the very least, the blood fractions would have expand his blood enough to allow the surgeon to go back in an correct the problem rather than waiting for his body to regenerate enough blood to do so.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

I got an elder who was trying to jump me into a committee meeting over me shooting a neighbors dog who came into my home and bit me. I shot it with a pellet gun to sting its ass and send it home. He said I had lack or respect for gods creation. I told him the neighbor who was also a jw was lucky I did not shoot it with my AK47, Man was he ticked. The other elder had to almost restrain him.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I've heard this from way too many elders:

"The disfellowshipping of your loved one is the best thing for him/her...They'll return stronger than ever!"

Most never return...if they do...they have the stigma, scar & shame of the disfellowshipping and shunning like a dark cloud over them for a very long time & it hardly ever goes away!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit