All KH Bank accounts to close and all received contributions sent directly to the WT

by James Jack 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I suggest the letter is specifically for the Spain branch. On reddit there is a clearer screenshot of it and it mentions a couple of specific banks CaixaBank and Banco Santandor, as well as the datestamp:

If there has been a similar letter in the US, I haven't heard of it. However, it is likely such a move would be played out for all branches in time.

What I find incredible is that the branch would be taking on the mundane task of paying all the bills for a KH. Any payment, however small, would have to go through the branch software. That's thousands of silly payments of routine expenditures. Such a bureaucratic nightmare that I can't envision it working.

• Zilgee
  • Hellothere
    Hellothere

Have you heard the news today oh boy. Watchtower going online selling all khs. Yep no surprise here. Congregations don't need bank account, cause there won't be any left. Well played watchtower. The fools in congregations are gonna think this is to help them as watchtower Sells everything out under their feets and runway with the money. Next stop for GB a paradise in the Bahamas πŸ˜‚πŸ˜πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜™πŸ˜‚

• TonusOH
    TonusOH
    How is it that they are aware that the changes are going to create not only questions but also doubts?

This is pretty significant. As you noted, the GB normally takes the position that they are to be trusted and their interpretations accepted under the threat of disfellowshipping. Yet here, they are anticipating pushback, but not taking their usual hardline stance. They seem to realize that they are taking a step that will be very controversial. Telling the KHs to close their bank accounts means they want every last cent going directly to the HQ.

And with what appears to be an automated online system of deposits, they'll also be able to know which congregations are being generous and which ones are lagging on donations. What happens when people figure that out? And how do you guarantee that unscrupulous brothers don't start to skim off the top when they are turning physical cash deposits into digital online transactions?

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

How will congregations process and send donations if they DON'T have a bank account?

Are JW's going to be "advised" to set up a Standing Order via their personal bank accounts?

• fifth.column
    fifth.column

Hi,

seems very close to what was announced in France 10 years ago (see my old thread https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/243341/france-no-more-local-bank-accounts-congregations ), but was not fully applied. I don’t know why, maybe legal issues at that time.

Regarding current letter, not heard anything in France at the moment from my relatives.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

why would any congregation members have doubts ?

Unless they are PIMO of course.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

There don't seem to be enough details at this time (probably intentional on WTC's part) as they may be testing the waters to see how much pushback they get. It stands to reason that they will implement since this was initially leaked pre-pandemic but not implemented (as I recall).

There are a few scenarios as to how they might transfer funds received from the cong:

1. The accounts servants takes the funds to a bank and gets a certified check which then gets mailed or possibly direct deposited using a mobile app similar to how checks are now deposited remotely using a mobile app. Take a pic, put in the amount and hit send. This would not work with a personal account since the naive publisher would get audited and even accused of money-laundering. Banks are on the lookout for these types of money transfers. I knew a low IQ accounts servant who did just that and he experienced much pain as result.

2. WTC sets up an account at a bank local to each congregation and the Accounts servant deposits the check and cash directly into the WTC account.This is unlikely and problematic.

3. WTC stops accepting cash and checks at the KH altogether. Pubs must make donations online. Hmm...sounds like this is a already a problem as pubs are not donating online enough as it is. So, unlikely to happen.

There may be other options but I can't think of any at the moment. I welcome your creative solutions to WTC's self-created dilemma.

Meanwhile, Here are some likely consequences for the radical change in the money-grabbing plan:

1. BOE's realize that WTC is not going to pay for toilet paper, cleaning supplies and other costly incidentals that add up over time. They suspect that WTC will be too tight-fisted to even pay the electric and water bill so they begin to stop donating altogether. The cash dries up. CO's berate the cong to no avail. WTC sells the KH due to lack of donations and the Pubs are forced to travel to another KH until those congs also wise up and stop donating. The selloff accelerates and WTC declares chapter 11. Disentegration follows rapidly and millions are freed. Unlikely but I thought it was a possibility so I listed it.

2. Watchtower gets investigated for operating as a bank and criminal prosecutions follow. Many cry persecution but disentegration follows and millions are freed. Ulikely also but worth considering.

3. Congs do their darn best to follow the onerous yoke WTC places on them but it unravels as WTC fails to pay the utilities, Pubs get stuck with incidental purchases and bitterness grows. WTC lays off the majority of it's "paid" (stipend) workforce and attendance plummets. Donations plummet. The ex-JW community grows. WTC closes the doors and key men relocate to Argentina as KHs get sold off. This is the most likely scenario but it could play out over years, so slowly that many are unaware that they are ending. If you have watched paint dry, it takes time.

4. WTC uses this as a pilot program and decides that it just won't work. They scrap the plan altogether and wratchet up the pressure on the Pubs to give more of their money. They readjust teachings like the sheep and goats understanding to make Pubs believe that they are being judged now for their actions. (Oh wait, they already did that - nevermind). Depression among Pubs grows and more leave for greener pastures. WTC experinces more shrinkage than George Costanza in an ice bath. Eventually they become a marginal reference in "Religions that Used To Be". The GB have themselves cryogenically frozen but court orders are issued for them to be thawed and the funds are liquidated to lawyers who form a class action against the Corporation(s). This is a dream scenario and probably likely except for the cryogenic part that I threw in for fun.

5. Pubs band together, surround Warwick, breach the fence and occupy the complex until police intervene. The GB are eventually lead away in handcuffs and millions are freed. Well,I can dream can't I?

Think you can do better? Take a crack at it. Just remember that WTC has more lives than Thomasina. Just when you think they are cornered, they pull a 6 ft Harvey out of their pocket and start another chapter of misery. Trust me, I have been in the room...

• blondie
    blondie

Boogerman, "How will congregations process and send donations if they DON'T have a bank account?" Good question! Currently, all monetary transactions between congregations and the WTS are done online, and If I understand correctly, the WTS has access to congregation bank accounts . It seem the WTS is taking over all that. Many congregations and idiots when it comes to handling money. At one time 15 of my jw relatives did accounts for congregations, sometimes rescuing it from the bad banking/bill paying abilities of those assigned to do it. Some were so accomplished, that even when becoming elders, they were asked to keep handling the accounts. After about 3 MS screwed up the finances, secretly the COBOE had his wife do it and he just signed off on the report. There is more to this story too much to related, but I can see why the WTS is trying to take direct control of the money. Some elders moved the money around so the WTS did not really know how much the congregation had. I am wondering how the WTS is going to handle bills such as lights, water, heat, etc. I'm sure as this plays out, info will be provided to us.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Actually the accounts have become much simpler in recent years. The accounts servant could do it with half his brain tied behind his back. The Branch disallowed the investing of cong funds in 3rd party investments and took all the β€œextra” money that congs had except for a few months of expenses. This is a money grab, straight up and simple.

It should net the Branch about $3-4k per cong. As for doing the cong a favor by removing that burden, that is nonsense. Follow the money and the implications for a possible chapter 11 in the relatively near future. WTC is in dire straights financially.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit