Do You Condemn Anti-Semitism?

by minimus 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thank you Cofty for your answer, given calmly and in a reasoned tone. As I said before, I am not someone who defends Corbyn, I simply asked the question, and, I shall research the guy further.

But we must all avoid knee jerk reactions to stories as presented by the MSN about the Labour Party and Anti-semitism, and individuals within the Party. The MSN has an appalling record of late regarding producing well researched accurate information, about anything it seems. Journalistic standards are not high at present.

• cofty
    cofty

Phizzy you might want to get a copy of Tom Bower's new book Dangerous Hero.

Do you have any memory of the Trotskyist trade union movement of the 70s? Local councilors, MPs and possibly even one PM was in the pay of Soviet Russia. It brought the UK to its knees with strikes, power-cuts and a three-day week. Bower explains how Corbyn was part of all that.

He also lays out his connections to Irish and Palestinian terrorists as well as the deep-rooted culture of anti-semitism that permeates the world of the far left.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

What I don't understand is people thinking that Modern day Israel is in any way related to ancient Israel. They are no longer and have not been since 70ce "the chosen" of god.

• waton
    waton
    They are no longer and have not been since 70ce "the chosen" of god. dig:

wt interpretation of that is meaningless. Jewish people; are jewish because they have jewish mothers, and they deserve a homeland just like Poles and Hungarians.

Hopefully the state of Israel will be full of a majority of jewish mothers for a long time.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

They are no longer and have not been since 70ce "the chosen" of god - that's not the point.

Jewish people originate from Canaan. Jews are a Levantine people.

As waton says, they deserve a homeland.

How many homelands have Arabs got? Five? Ten?

Surely Jews deserve one ...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Black's Law Dictionary defines a nation as follows:

"nation, n. (14c) 1. A large group of people having a common origin, language, and tradition and usu. constituting a political entity"

Before 1948 I am not sure any of the above definition applied, apart from perhaps the common tradition (religion). And maybe some DNA that goes back a way. But that proves little, on that basis I could claim a Homeland in Northern France.

The nation of Israel was an invention of the time. I am not sure that those who moved to Israel to help in the formation of the Nation can be called an ethnic group as are many others.

Here lies part of the problem, yes there are Arab States, but the Palestinian people have been systematically mistreated because of the creation of this modern, unique nation of Israel." Move somewhere else then, where you are wanted" ( maybe), is not an answer.

( I await a tirade of insults from Simon saying how Anti-semitic I am, but this is simply my grasp of the history).

• cofty
    cofty
    The nation of Israel was an invention of the time. - Phizzy

Don't you think a people who had recently suffered attempted genocide because of their heritage had a strong case to identify as a nation?

Remember too that they did not just suffer at the hands of the Nazis. Russia had its own pogroms and many other European countries cooperated with the Holocaust. Historically Jews have been persecuted all over the world simply because of who they were.

It is the ultimate irony if millions of Jews were annihilated because racists identified them as belonging to a nation but then they are not allowed to do so.

• cofty
    cofty
    the Palestinian people have been systematically mistreated because of the creation of this modern, unique nation of Israel.

To be fair the best place on earth to be a Palestinian is inside Israel.

It was the 1948 Arab-Israeli war where a coalition of Arabs tried — and failed miserably — to push Israel back into the sea that set the scene for decades of conflict.

There really are two sides to the Arab - Israeli conflict.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit