Should I get babtized?

by BlackWolf 44 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf
    I know this sounds like a ridiculous question but I was talking with my mom in the car today and of course we got on the topic of getting babtized again. She told me that Jehovah holds me accountable for my sins regardless of wether I am babtized or not so I have no reason to be holding back because it won't change anything. My parents are the type of super strict jw who will shun you just for not being a witness. That's what they do to my aunt, she was raised a witness but never got babtized so they view her the same as being disfellowshipped. This is what will happen to me once I leave so I figured things might be better if I just get babtized and enjoy being accepted for the rest of my teenage years. Then when I leave I will disasociate myself and things wouldn't be any different than if I hadn't gotten babtized in the first place, I just wouldn't have to endure as much nagging and would be more accepted by the others at the hall for the time being. I hope that if I get babtized maybe the other witnesses will like me more and I can actually make some friends, even if they aren't 'real' friends at least it would be better than nothing. Anyways, what do you guys think I should do?
  • Lostwun
    Lostwun

Dude save yourself the grief. Your parents are emotionally blackmailing you to do what they want you to do. Baptism to please them will only create more grief and hardship for you later down the line since you already know ttatt.

Avoid the dunking!! Turn 18 and move out

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf
    Yeah thanks your right. Its just really bothers me when they go on and on about it. Oh well. I've lasted this long I just have to last two more years.
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Listen, since you know ttatt what would be the point of making false " friends" that will drop you like a hot potato as soon as you stop attending - save yourself the heartache of getting close to folks who are going to hurt you. Please try as best you can to forge bounds with normal kids at school or community college or neighbours. Start preparing your social network NOW. You're gonna need em.

As to your parents, the only way baptism would be useful is if you intend to move away andfade. However your parents don't sound like the types to stick to the letter of JW law but not the spirit, if they know you have faded they will shun u anyways so it seems utterly pointless. I think u should play the " I have doubts - help me" card. Make like you cannot dedicate till your 100 % convinced and that science lessons/ evolution has stumbled you. You will have to suffer more study with them but from what I know baptism has never helped anyone who knows ttatt in the long run. You are not your aunt, you are their SON....you never know,start preparing them now. If u don't get baptised they don't HAVE to shun you..are u their only child?

• out4good4
    out4good4

Remind them that Jesus wasn't baptised until he was 30.

What's the rush?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Don't get baptize and don't give them the pleasure of a disassociation letter.
  • out4good4
    out4good4

duplicate post

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf

Well im actually a girl lol. I also homeschool so I literally have nobody other than my immediate family to talk to, it's starting to drive me crazy. But yeah you guys are right, getting babtized will only cause me more pain. I feel so lost. :(

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Do not under any circumstances allow yourself to be emotionally blackmailed into getting baptized. Your future self will thank you for it.

Just put them off with "oh I would like to be 100% ready when I do that, it's such an important decision. Jesus was 30 when he got baptized and I think he knew wha he was doing, don't worry about me I'll get there...." blah blah blah they will be reassured by your mature attitude and leave you alone for a while.

Be confident and act like you know your own mind and you know what you are doing and they may let up a bit.

Just remember baptism = accountability. The pressure won't lessen after baptism it will increase.

• bradford
    bradford
    No. You absolutely should not get baptized. The simple fact that you are asking if you should means you shouldn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit