Should I get babtized?

by BlackWolf 44 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    blackwolf: They also don't care that Jesus was babtized when he was 30 (their excuse is that people lived longer back then lol)

Ummm...you might want to google that, Blackwolfgirl. And then show it to your parents.

Life expectancy during the time that Jesus would have lived was shorter than it is today, not longer.

• Heaven
    Heaven

My advice is.... Never get baptized. If you do, there will be a ton of expectations you'll then be badgered into doing. The browbeating isn't going to stop with baptism. As I've told you before, my Witness Mom used Jesus' example. He was well into adulthood before taking the plunge. She wouldn't let us get baptized before we were of age.

Put your life plan together and when you're done high school, skeedaddle on outta your parents house and get to College or Uni.

Black Wolf said: P.S. just so this is clear, I am a girl! :smile:

Black Wolf, for those who don't know this, maybe you should add a pink bow to your Gravatar's head.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

No, but at least wait until you can spell it properly.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

There is not a single positive outcome that comes from getting baptized.

Baptism is the greatest weapon that this cult possesses. Do not let them use it on you.

• whathappened
    whathappened
    You are in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Don't do it. Don't get dunked. Play with the baptism ?s and the elders won't let you get baptised.
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

IF your heart's desire is t become an XJW, then YES, you should get baptized, because baptism is the FIRST STEP to becoming an XJW.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Not getting baptized was the best thing I ever did. Because of that, my parents still had a relationship with me into their old age. Something they would not have had if they had been guilted into shunning me if I had been DA or DF. A dysfunctional relationship for sure, but that was better than none, as much for them as for me.
  • Carol1111
    Carol1111
    I asked the last pair of JW's who came to my door what baptism meant to them, and they were stuck for words. You could try asking your parents what it all means so that they will know that you are seriously considering the subject. You could buy a lot of time with this. The idea of baptising a child, or pressurising anyone to get baptised is not in the bible.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

do something that prevents you from being baptised--i dunno what--but nothing illegal or harmful to you. clothes ? wear a crucifix ?

have you any non-dub relatives you could go live with for a while--?

then let your parents taste what its like with you gone from their lives.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I can second what Black Sheep says. I was in the same situation. I never got baptized so my parents weren't faced with shunning me for the DA or DF that would probably have occurred had I done the deed.

While my parents were often mean spirited to us kids as adults, I didn't let that stop us from having whatever relationship was able to be had despite this horrible religion.

Now, my Mom is dead, and my Dad is ailing with dementia. He told me a few years ago that he wanted my help and not the help of his 'spiritual family' because I was supportive. I nearly fell over! I have tried to live my life as an example of a 'worldly' person who is not evil like Botchtower claims. I never told my parents they were nuts for being JWs. In my country, they have the right to believe how they want. I did point out fallacies when they tried to convince me otherwise but I was always kind but firm. It appears to have worked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit