Treatment of Those Trying For Reinstatement

by Vanderhoven7 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

One disfellowshiped JW did the "start over as bible study" in the 70s. (moved, reversed first and middle name, got baptized and married). While on a tour of Bethel, met a Bethelite from an old congregation, and was "outed". Got double disfellowshipped, and lost the new family for "lying". poor smuck. lol.

It's easier to simply enjoy life for at least a year, then VISIBLY attend meetings, write some great dated letters spelling out how you have changed, and "fixed" any issues/mistakes every month, ASKING for a meeting. My question IS who would want to go back? yikes. IMO.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW
    Is there a Witness time limit on repentance?

Nearly fifteen years ago I personally asked an elder that very question. His answer? "No! There is NO set time limit. It could be 1 year, 5 years, 10 years twenty years, or maybe never."

Of course he was an arrogant POS.

• blondie
    blondie

In days gone past, the person's name was announced, the sin they were df'd for, and it was announced in all the neighboring congregations as well. The WTS changed that probably for legal reasons.

• blondie
    blondie

As to reinstatements, there used to be a period of time after that where if the person re-offended they would automatically df'd, not another judicial committee. They called it probation. I found this quote about how long after reinstatement, could one be approved for auxiliary pioneering (1983) "Questions have been raised as to how long one must wait after a reproof or reinstatement before qualifying for appointment as an auxiliary pioneer. Since all pioneers are required to be exemplary in conduct, this privilege may not be extended to one until at least one year has passed following a reproof or reinstatement from disfellowshipping or disassociation. All restrictions imposed by the judicial committee must already have been removed." (Restrictions put on people during after reinstatement could be not being allowed to comment at meetings or be on the theocratic school, men not being able to give prayers at meetings, etc.) 1970: Probation "Nor is that all. For a youth associated with a truly Christian congregation such a deed might well result in his being disfellowshiped, being cut off from the congregation. And if he seeks reinstatement, he must show his sincerity by attending congregation meetings with no one speaking to him, all the while giving evidence of repentance. Then he would be put on probation for a time, and for years thereafter he would be denied special privileges and advancement in Jehovah’s organization."

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

They changed it to sound like so and so has left on their own accord when they get disfellowshipped or disassociated.

To make it sound like it was on their own terms.

Like from taking a blood transfusion or taking office with a political party or involvement with the army/military.

Its all about protecting the image of the Borg,,,,that's what it's all about.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Dreary weather I don't doubt that there are some people who will be deeply unpleasant to those who stop sharing their beliefs.

However, in neither of the cases you mention is such cruel treatment mandated by the former religion, as it is with Jehovah's witnesses.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Diogensister,

Agreed.

However, not having a central mandate for treating ex-members is a real danger. Because it gives liberty to individual units to impose their own rules.

The Catholic Church didn't have a clear rule on contributions, due to which the local pastor pestered the flock to tithe. In fact, apart from passing the contribution plate, he sent a weekly envelope to our home and even sent one of his assistants to gather the money from individual members.

It reached such an extent that four families in a year joined the JW's as they saw that no one forced them to contribute money to the kingdom hall.

In many developing and under-developing countries, people became JW's in throngs because of their notorious ex-religious communities, their unending money extortion, black-magic mired ceremonies, caste discrimination, etc. JW's were a welcome change for them and hence for them the "truth literally set them free". Shunning was the least of their woes.

In fact, of my cousins stated that he was happy that with the right bag of tricks, you can save yourself from getting disfellowshipped, and there are easy ways to escape the JW's without the threat of being hunted down.

I know because my family was one of them.

• jhine
    jhine

To be fair to the Catholic church l would imagine that the nasty behaviour described was probably down to that particular Priest.

The Priests at my local Catholic church are very nice and the church does a lot work in the community. This includes having a full time worker helping addicts and alcoholics.

This is in stark contrast to the " vast amount of community work " done by JWs .

Jan from Tam.

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

DFed in 1985. Considered going back around 1990. So I met with one of the elders on my committee.

He said I had to attend all meetings and meet certain standards.

OK

So I went to the next Sunday meeting. The elder saw me. Knew I was there and he was conducting the Watchtower study. so....

He excused the person who was supposed to read and asked me ex to do it. My ex did not know I was there although I am not sure I believe that. his new wife sat there and glared at me constantly.

So I grit my teeth and put up with it - some kind of test.

Then the elder who knew of the abuse my ex subjected me to, knew because my ex told him everything, this elder who I considered a father figure, asked my ex to say the prayer.

Done. I am out of here.

He didn't want me back. The last thing he wanted was for me to be reinstated and start talking about the abuse my ex- who was an elder, had inflicted on me and our 2 children.

They protect their own. To hell with women and children.

No wonder both his sons left the Witnesses as soon as they were grown!

• vienne
    vienne

I am an outsider. So I write this from that perspective. The Watchtower only trains its elders in procedures. Where is the in-depth scripture training? They appear to believe that weekly meetings provide enough. Yet, when I talk to them, I find them largely ignorant of the Bible's content. This is inexcusable.

How clergy treat the flock identifies them either as true disciples of Christ or wolves. I wasn't there to see it, but I believe Lee's story. There is no compassion in the hearts of men such as that. Compassion is possible even when a religion has strict standards.

I have met some Witness elders who are both kind and true students of the Bible. They are few. I disagree with Witness theology in several key areas. But it is how their authority figures act that really repels me.

Anastasia (Annie)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit