Treatment of Those Trying For Reinstatement

by Vanderhoven7 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

What happens when a Jehovah’s Witness who has been disfellowshipped returns to attending the meetings again?

Mark Jones writes:

If it's the same congregation that they previously attended then, yes, the congregation will remember who they are and so continue to treat them as dead or invisible.

One of the identifying marks a cult is that it uses shame and humiliation to control members, to keep them from leaving and manipulating those who escaped into coming back.

A disfellowshipped person is never allowed to quietly leave with dignity. Instead they’re actually announced from the platform to the entire congregation. Members understand that they’re now not allowed to acknowledge the person - even if its their own mother, child or sibling.

Just like in totalitarian dictatorships where a person who falls out of grace with Stalin or Kim Jong Un is displayed in front of everyone in a show trial.

Trying to attend another congregation where nobody knows you won't work either. Because the cult actually keeps files on its members, and if you turn up to a Kingdom Hall and claim to be a member the elders request your previous congregation to send them your file.

Your file contains information about you, how many hours you’ve spent knocking on doors, the “sins” you’ve committed, how many show trials (known a “judicial committee”) you’ve been subjected to and much more.

You know, like a cult?

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

A very close friend of mine for many years got reinstated after having been df for 20 years. Different congregstion (did know the elders though). Only attending zoom meetings in a congregation 100 km away from her home.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I know of a Witness asking the elders to be reinstated after a few monthis. Elder told her, we will decide when to reinstate you. Were they not happy with her measure of repentance? Is there a Witness time limit on repentace?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

If a df really wants to get back in..move to a new area..wait for a door knocker..show interest..have bible study for a few weeks then attend meetings as an interested person.

By then the desire will have probably gone.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Vidquin

A year minimum--you know, just like the bible specifies

I have heard of CO'S reading the riot act to the few committees that acted on good sense and reinstated anyone in less than a year.

What they should do is have a year minimum on baptism announcements, just to see if it " took".

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Thanks Road to nowhere, I knew it had to be something like that. Judge, jury and executioner, like Judge Dredd.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Stan-y a df really wants to get back in..move to a new area..wait for a door knocker..show interest..have bible study for a few weeks then attend meetings as an interested person.

Well....in theory you could do that and just give a slightly different name (change middle name and year of birth, say)

After all they don't ask for iD :)

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

30 years ago when my parents left the Roman Catholic Church, our names were announced in the pulpit. The next few years were filled with constant ridicule by Church members. In my school, the priest called me up during the assembly and forcefully pulled my hair to and fro announcing before all children that I am now going to hell with my parents. Till now, our names are read out by that priest during his sermons as a reminder of leaving the Church.

My wife, an adult, when she left her community to get baptized as a JW, got whipped by her parents. No one from her community talks to her, in fact, they conducted a series of religious rituals to cleanse their homes and hurled expletives against her and do it till this day.

There are whackier ways in which communities treat their members and JW's are not an exception. In fact, they are less crazier than many other groups out there.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Please tell me you are not in the United States

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:26

I don't think Jesus is exactly a role model for promoting family unity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit