If YOU had to make the decision, would you respect a JW relatives wish to refuse a blood transfusion?

by nicolaou 152 Replies latest watchtower medical

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

To be clear cyberjesus (may I call you Lord?), in using the word 'respect' I did actually mean respect as in acceding to their wishes.

TimDrake, maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. In the unfortunate scenario described it is me (or you) that makes a choice. I'm not making someone else's choice I'm making my own. I have to live with it. Even if I agreed to deny a blood transfusion because I know it's what my Mum would want that would still be my decision - the fact that it aligns with another person's wishes is not the point.

• cofty
    cofty

TimDrake and cyberJesus - If I was asked by a doctor or judge to give permission for a relative to receive a transfusion I would agree in a heartbeat.

They can kill themselves if they want but don't ask me to be part of criminal stupidity.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Is it any surprise that it's the same people who think their world view is objectively true to the exclusion of others who are also willing to override the wishes of other people?

Tim makes the right point. It does no good to argue that JWs don't make a proper choice because they don't have "all the information" (in itself a euphemism for "the information I personally regard as valid"). Because the refusal to consider such information is in itself a choice. JWs are hardly unaware that many people, including "apostates", disagree with them on blood. They get warned all the time about it at the KH! If they wanted to they could read the reasons people reject the blood doctrine for themselves any day of the week. No doubt some do and still refuse blood. Also their choice.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    JK: I would respect my mother's wishes.

If your mother wished to eat fatally poisonous mushrooms because some witch doctor said they'd cure her arthritis would you serve them to her?

• Dagney
    Dagney

I would discuss this issue before hand with the person so that we all knew where we stand. And it would allow them to choose a different person if needed.

So it depends.

In the case of an elderly parent/relative, I would respect their wises. It would be devastating and disturbing to them to put them through this...needlessly. Yes it is the WT's fault that forces this, but I'm not going to add to it in this case and cause the great distress that it would. They have a right to choose.

• cofty
    cofty
    Being alive and distressed is preferable to being dead.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou
    No doubt some do and still refuse blood. Also their choice.

Not when they are unconscious, at that point it becomes someone else's choice.

If you choose to respect someone else's death wish that is your choice and you must take responsibility for it. If my Mother died because I acceded to her wishes I would not be able to shirk the responsibility for her death - it would have happened by my hand and the stroke of my pen.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    I would respect her wishes. There'd be no living with her afterwards if I did not. Part of that is because when my dad was dying, he (not a JW) was given blood and my mom didn't stop it-and she likely could have just because of his condition. I appreciated that, and while I am not sure she would do the same if it were one of her kids, I think she would.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What you call "death wish" they call obedience to Jehovah. Arrogance knows no bounds.

But actually in response to your original question there are some people in this world I would choose to make live even if it was against their wishes. Not because I think my worldview is objectively correct and they are crazy. Or because I think my views are more important than theirs. But just because I am selfish and I don't want them to die. I'd have to explain it afterwards, but it wouldn't be in terms of: "because your beliefs are load of crap you numbskull". More like: "I would miss you too much, sorry." I guess that lines me up for criticism from both sides in this debate.

• cofty
    cofty
    If your mother wished to eat fatally poisonous mushrooms because some witch doctor said they'd cure her arthritis would you serve them to her? - Nic

Please would somebody comment on this and point out the ethical difference if you can think of one?

I can see no moral distinction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit