Outcome - Banned in Russia - Final

by OrphanCrow 184 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    nonjwspouse: Scientology is another.

Seeing as how you brought up Scientology, Nonnie...what are your thoughts on Russia's ban on Scientology? Was it fair? I realize that the reasons given were somewhat different....but the bottom line was that it is a "harmful cult".

Was Russia right to ban Scientology?

• flipper
    flipper

I've read some of the many responses on here. I have mixed emotions about the Russia ban. On the one hand I agree as always - WT Society and Jehovah's Witnesses ARE a dangerous mind control cult which needs to be held accountable for it's unjust, illegal, and criminal actions. I wish this cult's leaders would be held responsible in EVERY country- including democratic, allegedly " free " countries.

However - the banning of Jehovah's witnesses within Russia and other places in the world only drives JW's back into being more defensive about claiming to have the " true " religion , and that THEY think it's proof of them being the " only " religion that follows Jesus due to being " persecuted " - in their opinion - for their beliefs. So it's a win-lose situation.

On one side of the argument it limits JW's power and influence in Russia- but on the other side of the argument it just empowers JW's deeper into their mind controlled state thinking they were " right " all along- that because the " governments " are out to get them- they are being persecuted like Jesus.

I really don't know WHAT the solution is to stopping the WT Society's view that it's leaders are " legends in their own minds " . I think about all we can do is to keep getting information out to the public about WT crimes or injustices committed within their own actions. Like the murdering of people with the " no blood " transfusion policy or the tolerating of thousands of pedophiles within their organization or the lack of transparency in it's child abuse policies. Many times- until an individual JW experiences these injustices personally from WT leaders or elders they used to trust- only then will they wake up to the bigger picture of corruption within the organization. Until that time- these mind controlled JW drones keep thinking only they have " the truth " and remain indoctrinated with tunnel vision. Difficult situation- anyway you slice it

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Agree with you 100 % Flipper

The positive outcome of all this one might gather and reflect upon is that the JWS religion/cult will decline in Russia and that's a good thing over all for a portion of humanity in that country.

Yes there may be some people who will be put into jail or fined for practicing the JWS religion but that's a consequence of their own gullibility, ignorance and personal endeavors.

I also think this banning has chopped down a bit of the ego and divine self serving arrogance of the GB leaders.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

You are right, Flipper - it is a difficult situation.

It is difficult to observe from the "outside", not only from the outside of the jworg but also from the outside of Russia.

Russia deals with terrorism in a way that we don't - their experience with a major terrorist event happened before America had to deal with it and not only that, but the countries where the seeds of that terrorist activity are born, butt right up against Russia - they are right next door and ever present. Russia shares borders with several volatile areas and those borders are permeable when "missionary" activity goes unchecked. Infiltration of established networked organizations is a very real threat.

Regardless of the JWs "neutral" stand, and regardless of how righteous individual congregations and JWs are, the way that their org is structured makes it very vulnerable to unknown terrorist elements. Unknown even to the JWs themselves. Combine that with the way that the org moves money around, and the entire structure of the JWs in Russia becomes not only suspect, but recognized as a vulnerable institution.

The JWs lack of awareness in today's terrorist climate is what gets them into trouble. It isn't the 50s or 60s or even the 80s anymore - it is the 21st century where we are dealing with different factors. The question that the org/JWs really should be asking is this - why does their organization fit the description of an organization that can be classified as "extreme"?

They have been labelled "extremist" but that is only because that label now exists in a legal context. They have always been extreme in their teachings and actions. Given the current climate, we have been conditioned to equate "extreme" with extreme violence but there are many forms of "extreme" that appear to be non-violent yet leave destruction and harm in their wake. The Watchtower Society is one of those apparent "benign" forces that leaves nothing but twisted and burned landscapes behind it.

And another thing...a comment or two about Chechnya. I have heard many reactions to "the gays in Chechnya" and equating the treatment of JWs to that situation.

Firstly - being gay isn't a "belief". That is obvious. And I am as much against the mistreatment of gay people as anyone is.

Secondly, the situation in Chechnya has context that should be considered. Russia barely, just barely, holds onto that tiger by a tenuous grip of its tail. The conflicts and tensions in that area go back centuries and it has only been recently that the full boil of war in Chechnya has lowered to a simmer. It was as recently as the 90s and early 2000s that war was active in that region - war between the Chechnyans and Russia. To hold Russia responsible for Chechnya's (97% Muslim population) treatment of people within its borders, and discuss it in relation to the ban on JWs, is unrealistic.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

They have always been extreme in their teachings and actions. Given the current climate, we have been conditioned to equate "extreme" with extreme violence but there are many forms of "extreme" that appear to be non-violent

Good point OrphanCrow

I think its also important to reflect upon the history of the Russia government and its opposition it has experienced by separate religious sects.

Since the JWS take a anti government stance and that they are all evil , its no wonder the Russia government officials say wait a second, lets look closely at this religious cult and see what its up to.

I'm sure the RG has come to realize now that the JWS religion has within itself an operating rigidly enforced dictatorship which does break up families and has caused discernible harm to people, even separate from the no blood transfusion deaths.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ORPHAN CROW:

Excellent.

The JW religion while not being outwardly violent still leaves "twisted and burned" landscapes behind it because of their beliefs and practices..and also their lack of awareness of today's terrorist climate poses a danger.

Their very presence could have a sabotaging influence and the Russians can't have them around to add to their list of problems.

I'm glad they are banned.

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

Huge Russian Bethel surrounded by forests, like Warwick :

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Anyone looking to buy some property in Russia ?

Well I hope when the RG takes over the property they turn it into a College to help people get educated, a higher level of education within a population will make it a greater unlikelihood of that population to join religious cults.

• Hecce
    Hecce

Going by the Cuban experience I can tell you that the friends response to actions like this were to become more entrenched and obey almost blindly to the "instructions" coming from upstairs.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“OrphanCrow”: “And practices (preaching, blood refusal, etc) will not be allowed.

👍👍

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit