I Went To My Brother’s Memorial Service at the Kingdom Hall

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney
    What a humongous waste of time the religion produces.

This is something that angers/saddens me more than anything. Of course they continue to look forward to paradise, but the org has done a fantastic job of convincing people that "now" is not important. It's not important for relationships, personal growth, work..just anything. Lost time/years you can never get back all for absolutely nothing.

• minimus
    minimus

Dagney, well said! They just don’t get it . They live in their little bubble and are pretty content not wanting to know things. There are a lot of nice people in the religion but they all have been dumbed down.

• humbled
    humbled
    There are a lot of nice people in the religion but they all have been dumbed down.

...and numbed.

That is a kind of triumph to have an actual remembrance of your brother, Min. It matters for the person to be remembered.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Minimus, I am sorry for your loss, but glad to hear that you seem to be making a good life for yourself after and outside of the cult.

Also, that you're not eaten up by anger and bitterness is a good sign as well.

jp

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I'm glad they made it about your brother Minimus, and that you felt good about it.

A PIMO friend recently went to the memorial of a sister that died. She was very close to this person. The new outline allows for personal comments about the deceased but she wasn't allowed because only people with a penis can speak at such an occasion. Her husband went up and said some general Witness-y things.

• minimus
    minimus

It makes a difference to hear what the worldly term it is LOL a eulogy. Only Jehovah’s Witnesses give a sales pitch for their religion during a memorial talk for a person who died.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    80 % of the talk was actually about the life of my brother.

I am glad you got to hear that. But I will assume your brother was at least a fairly big fish in the pond (locally important and/or well known). They might violate the rules for an elder or certainly a male elder pioneer.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Sorry for your loss Min but I'm glad they made the talk more about your brother than about his religion.

• zeb
    zeb

condolences on the passing of your brother.

• LV101
    LV101

Sorry, Minimus - my condolences for your loss.

I've heard the Mormans do same thing at memorials/funerals. Not sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit