I Went To My Brother’s Memorial Service at the Kingdom Hall

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I have to say that the talk was very good. Instead of just repeating a JW manual , the speaker actually spoke about my brother! There were a few scriptures with the JW hope but 80 % of the talk was actually about the life of my brother.

Over all, the Witnesses were very respectful and kind and no one pushed the JW agenda on me.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good to hear, minimus! Glad it went well for you.

I've been to a few memorials where the deceased was remembered, above and beyond the script.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

If family leaves the memorial meeting to the organization they will get the stale organizational pitch.

My personal experience is that if family wants the service to be personal, the family has to request it. One of the best ways to do that is to select who the speaker will be. Then spend a few minutes with the speaker to let him know that you want it to be personal.

It can be done.

Glad it worked out well in your case, min. Sorry to learn of the loss of your brother.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

First time I hear that they celebrate memorials for people other than Jesus. I'm glad that it was enjoyable. My condolences for the loss of your brother.

• minimus
    minimus

Thanks all!! When my mother had her service, it was done by a person she really cared about and vice versa. But the talk was a ministry school assignment. It was made to get people interested in the religion.💤

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Thats so nice to hear Min!

I glad that you are happy with the service.

I hope you are doing ok too?

• Moster
    Moster

AudeSapere - thats what we did. Got about 3 minutes about the loved one and 27 minutes preaching. GRRRRRR

• Dagney
    Dagney

Well that's good to hear. JW's know how to take a gathering and make it insufferable. Glad they handled the talk with a personal point of view. Again, sorry for your loss.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Good to hear! Maybe the local witnesses are not that strict at all!

Respect.

G.

• minimus
    minimus

I’m doing ok. Sad to say, my brother used to be my best friend but when I left the religion, slow but sure, I was treated almost. As if I was disfellowshipped but not quite. What a humongous waste of time the religion produces.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit