do you believe in karma?

by SpiceItUp 108 Replies latest jw friends

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

I have still been thinking about this......

and I have a question for those that don't believe in karma......

Since you don't belive in a cosmic justice then why bother being a nice and/or good person? If its not going to make any difference in the end then should we all do whatever we want as long as we dont get caught by the law of the land? Should we have moral chaos?

I think thats the only reason I still cannot discount the theory of karma. Thats why I still try to be the best person I can cause there has got to be some effect my actions will bring.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Since you don't belive in a cosmic justice then why bother being a nice and/or good person? If its not going to make any difference in the end then should we all do whatever we want as long as we dont get caught by the law of the land? Should we have moral chaos?

Well, Spice, there's this little thing called happiness. Smart people want it, and smart people eventually realize that the only way to get it is by doing good.

If, gentle reader, you haven't realized that yet, there are only two options for your future and your gravestone.

Now who really wants "here lies xxxxx, he was a lousy parent and an unhappy dumbass" on their gravestone?

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Six--thats a very good argument for Karma....

From what I gathered you said that if we aren't good then we aren't happy. That is a simplistic view of karma. cause and effect.

from where I sit anyway.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I like to call it "just the way it is so why fight it things are so much simpler with decency and honesty" or "Jtwiiswfitasmswdah" which is zambonian for "karma".

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

BUMP!

Just for the fun of it...

V665

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Nope, don't believe in Karma..used to.

But now I know the rich will keep getting richer, and the poor will keep getting poorer, and the mean will get meaner , and the good will keep getting walked on..

If Karma existed the rich would get poorer and the poor would get richer and the mean would get nicer and the nice would stop letting people walk all over them.

Snoozy..who has the world all figured out...lol

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Isn't the typical idea of cosmic justice the My Name Is Earl conception of karma? If anyone actually wants to research it rather than use the terminology for a simple popular idea, it'll take some study. A quick google will find detailed info on the traditional teaching, of which there are many parts. I'm not going to discuss it since it's not something I've studied and also not gonna go through the huge thread here.

But as far as why be moral and such with no repercussions, that doesn't say anything about how true it is - just the deterrent effect of keeping people in line. And it is of course a possibility that some people are kind and such because they WANT and CHOOSE to be, not because of any belief in consequences!

What we do know on a practical level is "waiting on" a cosmic justice of some type won't prompt you to take action, when it is within peoples power to stand up for whats just in how they live their life.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Actually, I am currently in Bali, where the people, despite much tourism, have a strong Hindu faith. I will not attempt to understand the intricacies of Karma but after numerous visits, have realised that when the people ask you "Where you going?" or "Where have you been?" or "Are you married? No? Why not?" it's not to be nosey but to "place" me in a mystical map of place. They have a deep need to see balance in all things. From seasons to good and evil, to romantic life.

So you can imagine that belief in Karma would be the cement that binds such strong faith.

• poppers
    poppers

doofdaddy, are you quoting from Eat, Pray, Love?

• Balsam
    Balsam

Should we look at so called Karma, when a person suffers in their life as some sort of punishment from bad deeds in a past life? I think that is wrong. Many times as we go through life we can discover that many of the miseries we might suffer may be a result of bad choices we've made, but I don't think it is a result of karma. I have heard people who don't understand buddhism well say that people are suffering because of the bad karma they have built up. But that is not entirely accurate.

Anyway I would have to say no to the orginal question here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit