Bible MIRACLEs!! Are they a Myth or Emeth?

by Fisherman 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• waton
    waton
    Waton, how do believe the writers were lying?

Ultimately, this is not about the writers but the facts. The impossible happenings. The Universe is a miracle enough.

These 'miracles' require the overruling of the laws of Nature. A character, that is so mercilessly requiring the slaughter of a victim as a "corresponding ransom" and the death of all descendants over a bite of fruit does not fit , as the author, or proofreader of the bible.

These story tellers were ignorant, trying to create a comfort zone in a scary world.

By contrast, the Joseph story is at least possible, only dreams correctly interpreted. good lessons for monopoly merchandising too.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Fisherman:

How do you explain them?

People tell stories. Fiction is quite popular. Not remotely complicated.

• cofty
    cofty
    Let me know when he has the power to resurrect the dead from the cemetery or give sight to the blind or hearing to deaf minus glasses or a hearing aid.

Yes there are many witnesses to Shirdi Sai Baba doing all of those things

But that guy is another subject.

No it's exactly the same subject.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

The way I see it is either you believe the Bible or you don't...there isn't any point in speculation. The Bible says God's ways are higher than our ways. If the Bible is incorrect, then mankind is most to be pitied...for what hope beyond this life? ( the billionaires have the answer: upload your brain into a cyborg/robot and live forever.) Where did the thought of living forever come from? The Bible says God put time indefinite( eternity) ( Ecc 3:11) into man's heart.

• waton
    waton
    If the Bible is incorrect, then mankind is most to be pitied...for what hope beyond this life?

The bible is incorrect. But having participated in this marvellous untertaking (pun was unintended), the existence, in this enormous structure, the universe, tells me that all is not lost, as religions (without them, as they say) would like you believe.

The father does not need these pretenders to do good for us. He does not need fiction writers to have wrought wonders for all.

The bible paints only a caricature of the creator.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

The wisdom found in some books of the Bible is simply the observations of humans noticing the outcomes of some human actions, while falsely claiming (even if doing so sincerely) that God revealed the wisdom. Consider the following observations.

If a man has sexual intercourse with a whore that can give the man an STD (sexually transmitted disease). Having sex with the wife of another man can lead to the husband of the adulterous woman taking vengeance upon the adulterous man, as well as upon the adulterous woman. Being a thief or a murderer can result in people coming after criminal to take vengeance upon the criminal, and if the criminal knows such then that can result in the criminal having great fear. If a person frequently lies eventually people will know that person is a liar and the liar will loose the trust of others and will have a hard time maintaining friendships. If a person frequently lies to his employer and cheats on the work he does, then the dishonest worker will have a hard time maintaining employment.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Cofty, I will be selling everything I own and donating to Shirdi Sai Baba soon. Thanks for sharing!

On a serious note, I find that some scriptures are probably taken literally when they were simply passed down folklore. I recall Bethelites reciting old folklore as if it was established fact - I was soooooo embarassed for them.

Speakers did the same thing from the platform. I usually took the time to kindly tell them that some of their stories were folklore, regurgitated by the unwitting. (Ex. "KISS" was an acronym for Knights in Satan's Service). And many more!!!!!

Most of the jews never considered the Book of Jonah to be taken literal. It was considered a moral lesson (and a good one I think) and that was it's purpose.

The dating of the flood: I don't think there is evidence for a global flood, but if there is, it almost certainly did not happen in the timeframe of Bible chronology. If it did, the Egyptians (and others) built right through that epoch disaster. They were either very dedicated workers or the flood never happened or it was regional and embellished considerably.

The age of man: 6000 years ago, some civilizations were already declining and being replaced. Go visit Göbekli Tepe. It is a Neolithic archaeological site in the Southeastern Anatolia Region of Turkey. Dated to the Pre-Pottery Neolithic, between c. 9500 and 8000 BCE.

It is wise to use discernment when reading anything "ancient". Truth may be sprinkled within its lore, but there are few instances of 100% accuracy. Humans know that age can cover a multitude of fact checking - just look at WTC amending old publications!

Yes - I STILL RESPECT THE BIBLE. But I will not trivialize the message by distorting the intended meaning behind certain passages.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Yes there are many witnesses to Shirdi Sai Baba doing all of those things

That is falsifiable or verifiable. Mother Teresa may have performed more miracles seems to me. You must be implying that the Bible is a fraud, a myth.

• cofty
    cofty
    That is falsifiable or verifiable.

Thousands of eyewitnesses have recorded their testimony. Most of them are still alive and can be questioned.

Why are they less convincing than biblical accounts of miracles?

Mother Teresa may have performed more miracles seems to me

Mother Teresa was an odious hag who made a cult out of suffering.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Thousands of eyewitnesses have recorded their testimony

Promoters of the product. Whereas in the Bible, enemies and non believers were forced to see. With the Jesus miracles, the Jews don’t question the power only the source, for example: Toledo Yeshu.

Mother Teresa was an odious hag who made a cult out of suffering.

—To you. I was referring to her miracles that got her a spot in sainthood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit