Court case Jehovah's Witnesses Norway kicked off

by AndersonsInfo 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    For now it seems to me like a way for them to have something technical that allows some association without changing anything meaningful in their policies. Most JWs will never see a Flock book.

Many devout JW's already "go beyond" what has been written regarding shunning. Many already shun "inactive" members who have had NO judicial determinations (faders). They simply no longer show up for meetings or field circus. Still, the super-righteous JW's are shunning them.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Yes. It seems there is a 'pre-shunning' mentality to irregular, inactive ones. Soft shun, cold shoulder.

I don't see how the Borg can do away with blood transfusion policy, shunning and two - witness rule without the Borg collapsing in on itself. Those 3 things alone are the most damaging. Seems if the Borg does away with any one of those, the Borg collapses.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

What is the last "official" view on ex-jws formerly known as "inactive"? Is it possible now to have been announced from the platform as "no longer a jw" (disassociated) and not know it? (no letter or call).

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Is it possible now to have been announced from the platform as "no longer a jw" (disassociated) and not know it? (no letter or call).

It was common practice on occasion ie a JW compromising on neutrality to simply verbally "spread the word" that so-and-so should be treated as DF'd. They did not want to DF someone for joining the military or voting as that could be construed very negatively by some Governments. So, for the record, said person was simply choosing not to associate but never had any official position taken against them.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Just want to add this link to a post from a distraught mother on here whose JW father is trying to stop the child seeing her (non JW Christian mother).

I think what got to me is the mother saying in another post how the child smiles at her when her father isn't looking. Attempting to isolate the child from her own mother. This is so abusive. The court had to intervene to ensure he stops this behaviour (but of course he didn't )

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5924735571460096/jehovas-witnesses-evil

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Bartolomeo Do you remember roughly what year it was?

I'm sorry I don't. All I know is that I remember seeing since 2016 because it stood out to me so much. I wouldn't have taken note to it prior to that because I was still a believing JW (though inactive for a few years).
    I'll keep looking.

• Earnest
    Earnest

DesirousofChange : It was common practice on occasion ie a JW compromising on neutrality to simply verbally "spread the word" that so-and-so should be treated as DF'd. They did not want to DF someone for joining the military ...

Shepherd the Flock of God, October 2022, Chapter 18, para. 3 (4), 5 says

Actions that may indicate disassociation include ... taking a course that violates Christian neutrality. (Isa. 2:4; John 15:17-19; "How to Remain in God's Love" pp. 60-63, 244). If he joins a nonneutral organization, he has disassociated himself. If his employment makes him a clear accomplice in nonneutral activities, he should generally be allowed six months to make an adjustment. If he does not, he has disassociated himself.—See "How to Remain in God's Love" pp. 204-206.

The coordinator of the body of elders should approve the announcement before an elder reads it to the congregation [at the next midweek meeting]. It should read as follows: “[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses".

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Fisherman would have us believe that Norwegian JWs are being penalised by the government because individual members just want the right to shun their children and others. Is that really the case though? Or are individual JW members pressured to shun by the organisation...

The Watchtower, March 2018, page 31:

Consider the example of a mother whose disfellowshipped daughter left home. The mother admits: “I looked for loopholes in our publications so that I could spend time with my daughter and my granddaughter.” She adds: “But my husband kindly helped me to see that our child was now out of our hands and that we must not interfere.”

The Watchtower, 15 January 2013, page 16:

Do not look for excuses to associate with a disfellowshipped family member, for example, through e-mail.

The Watchtower, 15 January 2007, page 20:

While caring for necessary family matters may require some contact with the disfellowshipped person, a Christian parent should strive to avoid needless association.
    When an erring child is disciplined by Christian shepherds, it would be unwise if you were to reject or minimize their Bible-based action. Siding with your rebellious child would not be providing any real protection from the Devil. Actually, you would be endangering your own spiritual health.

The Watchtower, 1 October 2001, page 17:

If a baptized youth is disfellowshipped, the congregation members are expected “to quit mixing in company with” him.

And of course there are also the shameless videos depicting JW members resisting the temptation to act like humans toward their shunned family members.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit