Debating With Evolution Deniers is Just Like This

by cofty 218 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Great video cantleave.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Daddy, where do I come from? Originally from a one-celled organism, later a tadpole, then a monkey. All of these are your ancestors. You are on top of the food chain. Make sure you stay there. Be what you want, do what you want, just don't get caught. Yes, I can see that working. Good luck with that.

What a childish attitude.

This is precisely why evolution deniers are mocked.

• DJS
    DJS

@Vidqun, "Be what you want, do what you want, just don't get caught. Yes, I can see that working. Good luck with that."

Luck hasn't anything to do with it. And yes, it is working, quite splendidly I might add. The more secular/atheist a person, state, region or nation the more likely they are to be functional. And educated. And intelligent. We've cited empirical data illustrating this for the 3 years I've been on this site. The data is overwhelming, and it comes from multiple sources - so there isn't an atheist 'conspiracy' to suggest theists are pathetic because they can't behave without the threat of being punished or rewarded by a nonexistent entity. Of course, many theists can't. But atheists don't seem to have that problem. You have probably seen the data; you can't provide anything to refute it or in support of your premise that, without god, people will misbehave.

You know better, but it irks you to admit it. So you post the same lame, erroneous statements about atheists that I saw a lot of 3 years ago but don't often see anymore. Except for the truly entrenched such as yourself. Or the newbies, which you aren't. When it comes to your bona fides, why are you holding out? Send them to Simon; he can vouch for them. I've stated my bona fides a few times - always consistently and absolutely prepared to show proof anytime someone wants to see them. That you no longer think they are important suggests you don't have them, as others have stated. Put up or shut up.

You come across as an angry, uneducated white man who is suffering from angry old white male syndrome. You probably railed at seeing your white world challenged by people of color gaining prominence, by the LGBT community finally receiving the respect it deserved, and now your last bastion of hope - your theism, is being brought to its knees. Deservedly. And you are impotent to do anything about it other than make broad stroked, knowingly erroneous statements about atheists and the secular. But you are too proud to admit that the world, once your deities are finally vanquished forever, will be a better place. A much, much better place.

I find that disgusting. I view you as a Dead Man Walking. A T-Rex on its last legs. And that is most excellent.

• never a jw
    never a jw

@Vidquin Deeply ingrained (Christian) ethics were passed on to children

Which ethics, the ones that tell women to shut up and obey their husbands, or the ones about the imminent destruction of everyone except the few chosen ones, or the one that treat gays as subhumans. It's more likely that you conveniently are referring to the neighborly love ethics borrowed from eastern religions like Jainism and Buddhism, which predate Christianity by several centuries. Or perhaps you are talking about our current western civilization ethics, which trace their origins to Christianity, but have been vastly improved by secular humanism.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Double post. Slow Internet connection.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Wizzstick, why do you get so agitated? Is that not what you believe? So what are you going to teach your child? Be kind to your cousins, the apes and monkeys. A childish response to a childish theory, I know. But even if you put in highfiluted, technical language, it still come out as stupid. Let's not give children a bad name. I think most of them are far too intelligent to stomach such ludicrous notions. Fortunately, today they have a choice. They will not be railroaded into believing such gibberish.

Never a jw: Or perhaps you are talking about our current western civilization ethics, which trace their origins to Christianity, but have been vastly improved by secular humanism.

Never a jw, I was worried that you will not get round to it. Yes, the above is what I am referring to. Have you read through the NT? If not, do so. It might be a new experience for you.

DJS, you're right about one thing, luck has nothing to do with it. And no, I'm afraid you don't know me at all and your estimate is all wrong. But believe it or not, that doesn't concern me at all. My favorite saying: Time will tell. Here's my final gift to you. This is what lies ahead. They might appear in our lifetime, they might not, but they will come. It's a promise. Those that will experience them will only have two choices before them. May each and everyone make right choice. If it doesn't happen, the joke's on me, but if it does happen, the joke's on all of you that feel the urge to ridicule:

3 I will empower my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, dressed in sackcloth."

4 These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth.

5 If anyone wants to harm them, fire comes from their mouths and consumes their enemies; if anyone wants to harm them, he must be killed in this way.

6 These men have the power to close the sky so that it does not rain during the days of their prophecy. They also have power over the waters to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth with any plague whenever they want.

18 The nations were angry, but Your wrath has come. The time has come for the dead to be judged, and to give the reward to Your servants the prophets, to the saints, and to those who fear Your name, both small and great, and the time has come to destroy those who destroy the earth. (Rev. 11:3-6, 18 CSBO)

• DJS
    DJS

Vidqun,

Really? You're quoting the bible? Really? It is likely the best support for atheism that exists. It certainly is the best source for not believing in the god of the bible, his murderous son and all of the non-prophecies, none of which have ever or will ever come true.

That's the best you can do? Hit us with the bible stick? As if that's better than broad brushed, erroneous and unsupportable assertions and judgments you've made. Biblical condemnation: the last refuge of a theist.

Ouchie. That hurts, dude. I mean really.

• cofty
    cofty
    Only thing they prove is that I can read and write and that I have studied a few books on the subject - Vidqun

Actually you claimed to be a highly qualified professional microbiologist. Therefore I can hold you to a higher standard of scientific accuracy. So far you are failing appallingly.

For example consider this nonsense...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no such thing as a neutral mutation

Oh dear.

Any point mutation in the vast non-coding regions of the genome have no effect at all on anything. They are genuinely neutral.

This is because nucleotides take up space, affect spacing between other nucleotide sites

All introns are spliced out before translation. Changes to introns are neutral.

Changes to exons are also frequently neutral. As a microbiologist you will be well aware of the facts of DNA functional redundancy and protein functional redundancy.

There are more viable versions of the gene for the respiratory protein cytochrome C than there are atoms in the known universe. Comparison of sequences of species reflects the evolutionary relationships we already know from other types of evidence.

It is possible to splice the gene from yeast and implant it in a mammal and it will work perfectly. How much more proof do you need of the reality of neutral mutations?

Ultimately the entire population will become extinct because essentially all "neutral" mutations are harmful

You are the only "scientist" in the whole universe who is aware of this terrifying idea. Please publish your evidence in a peer-reviewed journal immediately.

• cofty
    cofty
    The irony of this thread is epic!
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I'm sure Perry has some words of wisdom on the subject.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit