Debating With Evolution Deniers is Just Like This

by cofty 218 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Were you lying when you claimed to be a professional scientist?

The evidence would indicate that to be case..

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty, you are so clever.

Thanks. I can't return the compliment.

From a one-celled organism to a human being, I call that improvement.

I don't. I call it increased morphological complexity.

Through natural selection those that die of cancer will take themselves out of the equation. It'll be survival of the fittest.

Very few people die cancer before reaching reproductive age, so cancer has little effect on the gene pool. It is mostly a disease of age as mutations accumulate. As a professional scientist you should know that.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Hi there Cantleave, hope you are feeling better. Thanks for the contribution. My credentials are not important. I don't worry about it. So, don't you and Cofty worry about it.

• cantleave
  • cofty
    cofty
    dog DNA > dog, cat DNA > cat, frog DNA > frog, spider DNA > spider - Vidqun

Perhaps the most unscientific thing ever written by somebody who claimed to be a retired professional scientist.

My credentials are not important.

You made a very big deal of your credentials on a previous thread. Why are you shy about them now?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I have fully recovered thank you Viddy - I no longer have an asymmetric smile and don't sound drunk in normal conversation.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"If Somebody claimed to be a cosmologist and wrote that the moon is made of cheddar cheese we would not be wrong to doubt his claim would we?"

Of course they would be wrong, it's Wensleydale. Wallace himself has been there and as his view is a equal as an earthworm (or a scientist, they are both very similar) my assertion is true.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Thanks, Cantleave, a very enlightening video. I'll try and keep those points in mind.

Cofty: Very few people die cancer before reaching reproductive age, so cancer has little effect on the gene pool. It is mostly a disease of age as mutations accumulate.

I'm glad you add the word "mostly." Recently a close family member developed colon cancer. The hospital that she attended had a whole children's ward full of young cancer patients. So, here I have to disagree with your statement which contradicts the facts.

Cofty: I call it increased morphological complexity.

Well, Cofty, again our species has reached the top of the food chain. We eat everything else. With our morphological complexity and all, I call it "improvement."

Perhaps the most unscientific thing ever written by somebody who claimed to be a retired professional scientist.

Not only is it scientific, it is true. Spider's, horseshoe crabs, the coelecanth, etc. have not changed. Why would their genes have stabilized, while other organisms would be prone to change? It's a mystery. Or is it a mere logical fallacy on my part?

WhatshallIcallmyself, Wallace and Grommit can't be wrong. They were there. It is an established fact.

• cofty
    cofty
    here I have to disagree with your statement which contradicts the facts.

My statement is 100% accurate. Cancer is a result of individual cells doing what they have done for 4 billions years - replicating.

I call it "improvement."

I don't care what pejorative, unscientific words you like to use.

Why would their genes have stabilized, while other organisms would be prone to change? It's a mystery.

No it isn't. Gene pools change in response to selection pressure. Some species change morphologically very little over long periods. However the neutral mutations of their genes proves their common ancestry with all other living things.

This is very basic science.

You may not remember, but I am a qualified Medical Microbiologist with Anatomy, Physiology and Microbiology as majors. Yes, I have a lot of books dealing with those subjects. I had to work through all of them to pass those subjects... - Vidqun 3 months ago
    My credentials are not important. - Vidqun 2 hours ago
  • Vidqun
    Vidqun

Perhaps, before I answer let's get all the facts straight. Let's look at the context. Why did I offer my credentials? This is why:

Cofty: Vidqun that is the sort of facile argument the Watchtower relies on.
    You really haven't read a single science book have you?
    What do you know about the origin of some of the organelles inside our complex eukaryotic cells? Have you read anything about endosymbiosis? It is fascinating.
    Did you know for example that our mitochondria were originally free-living α-proteobacteria? Did you know they still have their own DNA including active genes? Also some genes that were originally in mitochondria have transferred to the nucleus. The ones that are left in the mitochondria are still there for a good reason to do with cellular respiration. Would you like me to recommend a fascinating book on this topic?

You've asked me (and many others that do not agree with you) if I read any books on science, as though I am an idiot. That's why I offered my credentials. To prove that I have read a few books in my lifetime. But having such credentials doesn't give me a Noddy Badge, does it? Only thing they prove is that I can read and write and that I have studied a few books on the subject. I repeat, my credentials are not important. Perhaps you've got a complex about credentials?

However the neutral mutations of their genes proves their common ancestry with all other living things.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no such thing as a neutral mutation. By its very existence, a nucleotide cannot be neutral. This is because nucleotides take up space, affect spacing between other nucleotide sites, affect regional nucleotide composition, DNA folding and nucleosome building. In fact even if a nucleotide contains no information it is still not neutral as it slows cell replication and wastes energy. This means there is no way to mutate or to change an individual without biological effect. Ultimately the entire population will become extinct because essentially all "neutral" mutations are harmful. And, I am sorry to say, there are no truly neutral mutations that are going to stop this genetic meltdown. The only surprise here is that the human race has not as yet become extinct.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit