How do you feel about the expression "The Truth"?

by stuckinarut2 39 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It's amazing how the expression "the Truth" has become such an ingrained term used by witnesses.

"we have 'The Truth'"

or

"is he 'in the Truth'?"

Most here have found out so many facts about the organisation, and felt the effects of being "gut-punched" as we realised these facts.

So how do you feel about the expression "the truth" now?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Not just the expression, the concept is the problem.
  • mrsObfuscate
    mrsObfuscate

I have to stop myself from referring to JW's as being "in the truth." It's so ingrained, but now that we have the whole picture of the organization it feels so very wrong.

How can something that is "The Truth" be constantly changeable?

• The Governor
    The Governor

The term when used gives me shivers because there are so many lies and dishonesty within "the truth" they refer too!

I never use that term when I talk with JWs. I ask things like:

"How long have you been in the orginization for?"

"So why choose the Watchtower doctrine as your chosen religion?"

"When did you return to the orignization? (Not Jehovah.)

I never say "the truth." It just helps reinstate their mentality that it is.

• Heartsafire
    Heartsafire
    Gag! I try to not use the term at all. Every time I think "the truth" I get a little angry and think, "yeah, right!"
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I have noticeably stopped using the term "the truth" when referring to anything jw. Several of my relatives and friends have noticed and asked --why?

I always answer that; "it's sort of a misnomer don't you think with all the changes to what we previously were taught was "the truth"?"

I get some very strange looks!

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

Redundant,

I always was annoyed at the expression 'in the truth' IN? lol .

its just like an exclusive club.

you cant even say , know the truth, because clearly they do not.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    How about, 'how long have you been in the lie?"
  • SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    Now that I have been out for 30 years it sounds unbelievably cultish, as does calling someone brother or sister. I never use that expression anymore. Now I say "Is he a dub?" Got that from this site, JDubs!
  • Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Indifferent. Surely many other organizations claim to have "the truth". Open to mere interpretation.

I never use the term anymore. Society or Organization seem more fitting for the JW outfit.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit