How do you feel about the expression "The Truth"?

by stuckinarut2 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I was also born into the JW religion. But even as a believer I disliked using the term "the truth" to refer to JWism. There were so many changes and adjustments made to the JW belief structure that I felt "present truth, past truth, and future truth," would be more appropriate. So it was never a problem for me. However, I still cringe when people call JWism "the truth."

Interestingly the Laymen's Home Missionary Movement, a Russellite Bible Student group, call their monthly magazine "The Present Truth."

The term "the truth" in JWism may be a carryover from Freemasonary. Though with the Masons it is the pursuit of truth, not that they are in "the truth" as the JWs define their religion.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

JWs may not realize it, but when they are baptized into the borg, they are giving up their right to even question whether it's the truth unless they are willing to be DFd for apostasy.

Good point Ding

The notion of expressing critical doubt to the WTS doctrines is forcibly protected by insinuated to do so is opposing god's will and purpose, poignantly damming and worthy of punishment for the lack of loyalty to his chosen organization.

Of course the real apostasy is the activities of the Watchtower Corporation/ Publishing house.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    The term "the truth" in JWism may be a carryover from Freemasonary. Though with the Masons it is the pursuit of truth, not that they are in "the truth" as the JWs define their religion.

From what I've read on this forum, the use of "the truth" or "in the truth" started in the 40s or 50s. By that point the JWs were pretty distinct from any potential freemason influences. My theory is that this is just a meme - an idea that someone had up top because it worked for Jesus ("I am the way, the truth and the life") and it stuck because it was helpful at keeping people indoctrinated and separate from other people. Probably a pretty similar process to what develops most of the loaded language in JWism (and other cults).

Personally, the term makes me sick to hear it used in reference to the cult. I haven't used it since I woke up, and I think going back to exclusively using the JW loaded language words as they're used by the normal populous is a very useful part of cleaning out lingering indoctrination and any reservations/doubts one might have about leaving. It's a very unconscious part of their control, and it's difficult not to be influenced by it. As Steve Hassan said, words are the tools we use to think. If, upon leaving the cult, you continue to use the loaded language of the cult, your thinking will still be influenced by your past indoctrination.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

And then there's the Russian Newspaper "Pravda.' (pravda=truth)

and what about the Johnny Cash Hit.

from Wikipedia - "What Is Truth" is a single by American country music artist Johnny Cash released in February 1970. Generally viewed as a protest song, a rarity in country music at the time, the simple criticism of the Vietnam War, and war in general, as well as the stereotypical view of many politically liberal hippies made the song a major crossover hit. The song peaked at number 3 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles.

And Pontius Pilate got in on the act too, John 18:38

But, of course, Jesus had already raised the matter (without any evidence):

37 “You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” (John 18:37NIV)

So you claim to be a Christian, then you claim to have "the truth."

Pontius Pilate was more on the ball than Jesus.

• Lost and adrift
    Lost and adrift

The Truth is I've been lied to my whole life about the truth and now I don't think I'd recognise truth from fiction. ..ain't thst the truth lol

Wich reminds me I need to start a thread about swearing on the bible. .....

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One could also describe the using of the wording " The Truth " expressed to distinguish the JW organization from other descriptively " False " Christian based religions.

Having that distinction is critically important to JWS for their life saving self righteousness is contained within the organization itself. .

You don't want to be in false religion when Armageddon comes.

• talesin
    talesin

I decided long ago to call it "The Lie" when talking to non-cult members. When I still saw my parents, i would call it 'the religion" or "your religion" when speaking to them.

The words "The Truth" just can't pass my lips, because I get queasy just thinking about it (makes me so ANGRY to call that misogynistic, child-abusing cult the TRUTH), and *puke*.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    Stopped using this expression a long time ago. We call it the "troof"
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

The term "The Truth" used to be utterly cringeworthy....now it's almost laughable. If I ever do use the term, it's never without putting it in quotation marks or using my hands to make quotation marks in the air and I usually roll my eyes for added emphasis.

• Fell out of "the truth"
    • Wants nothing to do with "the truth";
    • He doesn't have "the truth" in his heart.
    • He knows it's "the truth" but he's not doing anything with it.
  • shepherdless
    shepherdless

One of my in-law relatives uses the term a lot.

To me, it sounds so Orwellian, I feel a slight urge to giggle when I hear it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit