How do you feel about the expression "The Truth"?

by stuckinarut2 39 Replies latest jw friends

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Personally, the term makes me sick to hear it used in reference to the cult. I haven't used it since I woke up, and I think going back to exclusively using the JW loaded language words as they're used by the normal populous is a very useful part of cleaning out lingering indoctrination and any reservations/doubts one might have about leaving. It's a very unconscious part of their control, and it's difficult not to be influenced by it. As Steve Hassan said, words are the tools we use to think. If, upon leaving the cult, you continue to use the loaded language of the cult, your thinking will still be influenced by your past indoctrination.

I agree with OneEyedjoe

Words are the tools we use to think, "The truth, bother and sisters, faithful and discreet slave and our Redeemer and my favorite one apostate" are all loaded words used to control and keep us in submission to the bOrg. I stop using them when I woke up early on felt Orwellian when I would hear it or about to say it. One thing I learned is when I'm talking to my wife I need to speak the language of the cult to be able to reach her, if I refer to it as the religion or them crazy people or anything other then the "Truth or that brother or sister", she will shut down and say I'm an apostate or I sound like a apostate. The conversation ends she will leave the room or the Iron curtain will drop and she wont reason on anything I have to say. So it's Theoretical warfare and I only use it to penetrate the indoctrination and deceit this loving organization left for me to deal with. Now that's the truth.

MC

• Giordano
    Giordano

Agree with Markofcane.

Funny that a witness never says I believe in the WTBT$ incorporated!

It's the "truth" or the "Society". This desire to make it special makes it singularly stupid and distant to outsiders.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Credit where credit's due.

Constantly referring to it as "The Truth" very effectively immunizes the member's brain against proof that it's wrong.

(BTW, I'd stopped calling it that even before my fade; the label had started to stick in my throat.)

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The "society" is more fitting....

It screams "high control group", yet a witness would not object to that expression...

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane
    My last post should of read: "Theocratic warfare", Darn spell check.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Although, MarkOfCane, 'theoretical warfare' works well too!
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It takes organized religion to created and propagate an agreement to set of lies and then label these lies as " The Truth "

• TipsyMangoTea
    TipsyMangoTea

I've always connected "The Truth" to The X-Files, hahaha. Even before finding out about all of the hypocrisy and lies, I can't remember a time when I ever used the phrase in relation to the bOrg.

My deeply religious cousin asked me when I was in middle school, "Do you know The Truth?" I replied, "About what?"

Besides, I really do believe in aliens.

The Truth Is Out There, Lurkers~

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

One of Rutherford's brilliant marketing moves.

(Together with "Serve Jehovah" = Serve Watch Tower, as well as: Advertise, Advertise, Advertise)

Rutherford belonged on Madison Avenue - he would have made even more (but without the fanfare and accolades accorded to him, Jo. Smith, and L. Ron Hubbard)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ berrygerry...

If there's any true justice in the universe, Rutherford, Smith, and Hubbard are all sharing the same cell block in Hell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit