How to argue with a JW who says the org never said the end in 75

by dogon 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Thisismein1972
    Thisismein1972

@Fisherman. Please read this information.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1975.php

• blondie
    blondie

Here are some youtube recordings of a talk give by DO Charles Sinutko

Stay Alive in '75

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=alive+in+%2775+watchtower

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Trying to reason with an indoctrinated JW just gets circular. I know, I was that JW.

• zeb
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I remember as a kid in the late 70s people talking about it still at the hall some even complaining. People razzing us out in service about the false prediction and all the excuses used over the years.

My mom denied it all but I know she has selective memory and she was knee deep into it because not only was she studying with the jws in the early 70s but also Armstrongs WWCG and he was the one who started the whole 1975 thing. But like some many I believed the excuses.

The final nail in my believing coffin was a few years ago while at an assembly in Florida mr Lett gave a talk where by he said while at bethel he didn't believe in 75 and everyone thier said he was an apostate for thinking such. I immediately thought that if everyone thier was thinking he was an apostate for not thinking 75 was the end then everyone thier was being told at bethel the end was 75, how else would the come to this conclusion?

I knew then that they had indeed taught the masses that 1975 was the end and all thier excuses was a lie. From then on I was a deep bible studying fool and looking and studying thier past history as well.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

WT never said outright that "the end" would come in 1975 but the literature and thinking circa 1975 implied that if it did it, the event would converge with Bible chronology; but the wt also concurrently published in the ASI book that the time of creation of Eve and the end of 6th Creative day was an unknown variable that was a factor affecting any conclusions about 1975.- Fisherman

• Thisismein1972
    Thisismein1972

I see you highlighted the one thing that you as an indoctrinated JW would think gives you that Gotcha moment Fisherman. This is a typical move made by a JW.

However, you seam to miss the point here. It was the watchtower, and not the JWs that put this thought into the minds of JWs at that time in history. Let me ask you this, was these articles created by just your average JW or was it from the Watchtower?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

However, you seam to miss the point here. It was the watchtower, and not the JWs that put this thought into the minds of JWs at that time in history.

WT never said outright that "the end" would come in 1975 but the literature and thinking circa 1975 implied that if it did it, the event would converge with Bible chronology; but the wt also concurrently published in the ASI book that the time of creation of Eve and the end of 6th Creative day was an unknown variable that was a factor affecting any conclusions about 1975.- Fisherman

My statement is supported by the talk linked by Blondie . Listen to it. The speaker says "possibly" in reference to 1975.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

There was an old brother in one of the congo's here who had transferred congos because of the treatment he received related to his public comments on this topic. (1975)

He's dead now. However, the story was related to me from a very trusted friend, just why he moved congos. And I knew the story teller well, as well as knowing the old bro well. So there's no mistake.

This bro was a real estate agent during the 1960's and 70's. I remember his real-estate work from when I was young.

So, during one of the meetings in his old congo, he gave a comment that pertained to 1975. In this comment, he related how the Society did indeed preach 1975, and that he, as a real estate agent of the time "was the one who was selling all the houses"...

Now this bro was a ministerial servant and long time pioneer. He was in charge of literature. So it's not like he was already marginalized.

The elders ordered him into the back room right after the closing prayer.

They must have ripped him a new arsehole. He came out all red-faced and skipped his duties, and marched his newly vented ass right out the door.

Then he moved congos. (The End)

Recently, I had an elder and his family at my dining room table for a sit down meal. Now, my wife doesn't like it when I 'bring something up', and for once, I didn't have to. This elder gets himself on the 1975 topic. On and on he goes about how "the Society never said anything about 1975".

It was then that I had enough. I spoke up... and I asked, "Have you ever done any reading on the topic within the Society's publications?" (blank stare)

I then asked "Have you ever sat down in front of the keyboard and ran the CD Rom Library and punched in 1-9-7-5 and hit "SEARCH"...?

(deer in headlights with awkward moment)

Further I said "...and started reading...?"

Finally he admitted "No".

I said "...they said plenty, and before talking about that date, one should do the reading" (cold breeze went through the room)

His wife looked like she was going to choke.

I thought, 'day ain't ano helpin' dem bumpkins...'

• prologos
    prologos

let us assume that wt really was not behind the 1975 thing, {that they published in the book] then

It would have been their christian duty, as the appointed F&DS, to stop the brothers from selling their houses, from leaving their businesses, and after a warning to disfellowshipping them for apostasy. or?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit