How to argue with a JW who says the org never said the end in 75

by dogon 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saename
    Saename

I was looking through the quotes about 1975, and I found something interesting...

This is not the time to be toying with the words of Jesus that "concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father." (Matt. 24:36) To the contrary, it is a time when one should be keenly aware that the end of this system of things is rapidly coming to its violent end (Watchtower, August 15, 1968) [emphasis added].

I remember when I started studying with Jehovah's Witnesses around the year 2006... Back then they were also talking about the end all the time. Everyone was saying to me, just a little kid back then, that this world would end within a few years. You would think that they learned something from the 1975 fiasco; but, no, they still continue to "prophesy" that the end of this world is just around the corner. They still do the same thing―with only one exception; now they don't give any concrete dates.

• sir82
    sir82

governing body letter apology

"It is to be regretted" is not an apology.

One more thing the WTS has in common with Donald Trump: A pathological inability to accept responsibility.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

I've always wondered (never actually asked) what 6,000 years of human history actually meant besides the big A coming in 1975? If not related to Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath and a 8th creation day (the 1,000 year paradise), what then is it's possible meaning?

Isn't this by itself proof that it's dangerous to interpret the bible regarding modern day end-time prophecies?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The Awake magazine said that young people would never have time for a career in this system of things, so no point in going to college. I was one of the young people they were talking about, I am sixty one now, career come and gone, so it makes me see red that they deny it now.

It's worse that they held back from explicitly stating the world would end, while still making everyone think it was going to, as it proves they needed to have plausible deniability in case the prediction failed.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was there at the time too, and I well remember the articles, the speculation by senior elders and C/O & D/O's .

If we ,of the more cautious mindset, ever said before the time that "nothing has been specifically promised by 1975" we only meant that it might go on into 1976 or perhaps 1977 at the latest.

We all knew that it had to come around that time "to fulfill Bible prophecy", and also that we knew that "God would never allow his Organization to be so publicly wrong on such an important issue"...Would He?

NB . If the quotes from jw facts don't convince them, they are deluded and refusing to face the truth........

• crazy_flickering_light
    crazy_flickering_light

Witness 007: Yearbook 1980 is correct, page 31 I think.

• dogon
    dogon

I was there also. I could not remember anyone saying it is coming but it sure was implied if it was not. I lived in North Michigan at the time and many people sold homes and quit jobs and moved up north with just enough money to live to about spring winter of 76. Many who had good jobs at GM or Ford now were hanging drywall and other jobs trying to regroup.

• steve2
    steve2

I was there in Kingdom Halls in New Zealand throughout all the brouhaha leading up to 1975.

We had the international convention in Christchurch in 1973. It was fever pitch, especially when an announcement was made from the platform that Kingdom News tracts were to be urgently distributed to all householders throughout the country. Our message to householders was to be brief, announcing that we were delivering an urgent message about the how close we were to the end of this system of things. We Witnesses in the audience of well over 10,000 were buzzing with excitement. Even my JW grandfather (my other three JW grandparents were deceased) in the organization since the mid-1920s said to me he had never before seen such urgency in the organization (he died in 1976).

In the home congregation that year, one of the elders dramatically stood on the platform and held up three fingers with his palm turned to the audien ce and declared he had started telling householders that before 3 years were up, the end would be here. The audience - including other elders - loudly applauded. A couple of hardcore JW families sold their homes and put the money into full time pioneering and were profusely praised from the platform.

Oh, and the Kingdom Ministry for New Zealand had a countdown of months leading up to 1975.

I will also never forget the name of one of the Public Talks in the early 1970s: "Who Will Rule the World in the 1970s".

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

As far as having printouts with actual WT quotes: That method has now been rendered useless, as after the most recent morning worship on JW Broadcasting, JWs will now believe that any unfavorable WT quote has been doctored by an insidious apostate.

• TD
    TD
    As far as having printouts with actual WT quotes:

To be fair, I would be skeptical of printouts if I were a JW too. Provenance is everything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit