Now Canada's Turn

by newsheep 65 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DomineIvimus-DI
    DomineIvimus-DI

And they will likely use Acts 2:44,45 and Acts 4:32-35 to justify that.

• DomineIvimus-DI
    DomineIvimus-DI

“All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.”

‭‭Acts‬ ‭4:32-35‬ ‭NIV‬‬

https://www.bible.com/111/act.4.32-35.niv

• DomineIvimus-DI
    DomineIvimus-DI

They might miss the “b” part of verse 35 out

• Incognito
    Incognito
    The guy said they will be burning at least forty dollars in gas a week to go to two meeting alone.

Contrast this reality with the excuse WT gave not so long ago for the reason to discontinue book study groups in private homes. They claimed it was to save the bothers travel time and gas money, even as many of the study locations were usually close by to each one assigned to each group, sometimes within walking distance.

As attending becomes progressively less convenient and costly, that will make it easier for those reassigned to miss meetings. As regular attendance decreases, congregations will be further amalgamated, resulting in additional KHs being sold in the future. Many of the long term JWs that are now forced to travel elsewhere while elderly, likely physically built and initially paid for the local KH that is now to be sold.

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Bottom line. The vigorous selling of Kingdom Halls is antithetical to Watchtology. The org ‘is expanding‘ they are told... but the facts speak a different story.

The selling will have an effect that is quite detrimental to the life of the org.

Psychologically, there will be an impact. Dubs are just people. And people are affected when there is a serious dichotomy.

...As incognito has pointed out.

Contributions will be impacted on several levels. Contributing is done in secret. Dubs will lose some of their pseudo-faith. They will have less heart to dump their hard earned cash in the box. Plus, those who have to drive farther will have less in their pocket due to expenses. Add to that fewer meetings due to age and distance, less opportunity to contribute.

It feeds on itself. It’s like a person that is consuming body fat because of a lack of food.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WANNA EXIT & HOSER:

Please tell me you are both just making a joke. 😳 You DO know that if a house is in your name nobody can ‘tell you to sell it’. I can’t imagine anybody being stupid enough to do this. There would be no hope for anybody like this. You are joking, I hope.

LASTMANSTANDING:

I agree with your post that there will be an impact because of all this selling off of halls. I think it most definitely will cause a loss of contributions for several reasons like you said. It will cause a reduction in JWs in these halls. The ones left out in the cold though are the most needy looking for contributions. As yet more halls get sold off these people will be like people left standing without a chair in that game when the music stops. The religion is leaving. The faithful JWs have to chase it wherever it is. This is not good. Looks like the religion is winding down to almost nothing.

• hoser
    hoser
    • +4 / -0
    • LongHairGal
      LongHairGal15 minutes ago

WANNA EXIT & HOSER:

Please tell me you are both just making a joke. 😳 You DO know that if a house is in your name nobody can ‘tell you to sell it’. I can’t imagine anybody being stupid enough to do this. There would be no hope for anybody like this. You are joking, I hope.

They could threaten a loss of privileges or disfellowshipping if you don’t follow their interpretation of scripture.

Some people are so far in the social club they would sign over property. Look at Jim Jones Guyana cult. People made their kids drink poison laced kool aid for fuck sakes.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

HOSER:

We are many decades past Jonestown. Hopefully, the world is a little more sophisticated about cults and hopefully there would be very few JWs who would fall for absurd or nervy requests. But, anything’s possible..sadly.

But, getting back to this thing about halls being sold off: this is not good for the diehard JWs left... My only interest is that of an observer who is astonished at how far the religion has fallen!

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Lhg..... remember THIS:

People DID sell houses and business thinking the end would come.

OR

People BOUGHT houses and cars thinking the end would come and they would not have to pay them off.

I was only 9, and my folks had only been dubs 5 years. I remember older ones telling me these stories.

Either way, "There is a sucker born every minute."

Snakes

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SNAKESINTHETOWER:

I came in after 1975.

Yes, it’s unfortunately true that a sucker is born every minute. Hopefully, there are fewer suckers than years ago falling for religious bullshit.

I’m just grateful that I was a lousy Witness who didn’t cave in to peer pressure - or else I would have been one sorry sucker that would not have retired!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit