Have You Been “Gaslit”?

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Gaslighting is a form of sustained manipulation that causes the victim to question or doubt their sanity, judgment and memories. It’s a form of emotional abuse.

I think Jehovah’s Witnesses have been gaslit.

Do you know of anyone that has been manipulated in this way??

• Clarky21
    Clarky21

Yes me minimus by my ex who was a jw but disassociated herself. Our marriage was a living nightmare. She accuses me of having a mental illness and also not remembering things that didn't even happen.

Gaslighting happens a lot in the jw world

• minimus
    minimus

Horrible

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

There's certainly hints of gaslighting in the Governing Body's historical revisionism. Pointing, teasing, suggesting certain dates for Armageddon, then later saying they never said that. Yeah, I see your point.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

Yes , false accusations of flirting and affairs with work colleagues and sister's in the k/hall (she was having a romantic relationship with a work colleague) being overly sensitive and having mental health issues .

Now looking back it started almost as soon as we meet and escalated over time till I started to feel something wasn't right in the relationship and saw a poster that men can be victims of domestic abuse and then contacted a male helpline and they made me aware of gaslighting and then I made a plan to leave , took a few years because of my kids .

She was good at gaslighting as she also convinced the elders of my supposed mental health issues and that I ran off with another woman and took all the money .(which I never did)

Helped with my awakening as to the gaslighting at the meetings and on JW.org that you are never good enough , not doing enough ministry etc .

• Mary2
    Mary2

No. I have not been gaslit.

I liked what Knorr taught in the 50's and 60's it was good.

Not to say it was perfect but what man or woman is perfect?

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

This subject came up a few years ago on this site, which introduced me to the term and to the movies which popularized the term 'Gaslighting'. Both were great films, one was British made and the remake was American made.

• minimus
    minimus

Mary what did you like that Knorr said??

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Of course, everything the cult does revolves around gaslighting. From weaponizing your family against you to denying they said things even when you have proof, to constantly trying to make you doubt your own thoughts and feelings, Jehovahs Witnesses are masters of gaslighting. Everything they do is to cause you to doubt yourself so that you have to trust them and them alone. Do not lean upon your own understanding or trust your own heart, trust the minds and hearts of the dear leaders.

• Mary2
    Mary2

The current GB is absolutely gaslighting, they are manipulative liars.

Knorr and company truely believed but they were misled by Russell's teachings. The whole invisible presence teaching Russell taught is wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit