The "N" word in Watchtower Literature

by ILoveTTATT2 50 Replies latest members adult

• steve2
    steve2

ILoveTATT2, I follow your reasoning. I just don’t agree with the conclusions you have drawn from your reasoning.

You quote the organization quoting OTHER sources and point the finger at the organisation - rather than the milieu of the time when the quotes were made.

The main point - lost in your forest of rebuttals - is that in not one instance did the organization quote the source in an approving manner of using the word. Now that would have been a catch!

There are so many other valid issues with which to call to account JW organization. In my view, this is definitely not one of them.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I thought it was more interesting that they bothered to count (in their words) "Negro members" at the annual meeting in the 1946 yearbook:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5709541519917056/composition-members-watch-tower-society-annual-meeting-1945

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

At the Warwick museun, on one wall they have a blown-up photograph of a 1926 IBSA convention group. The interesting thing about it is that it is obviously a segregated ( all black) assembly. I’ll see if I can geta photo to post

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

@dropoffyourkeylee 25 minutes ago:

You asked if anyone else couldn't start new topics because you could not.

I haven't been able to start a new topic since Jan 2017. Can't give thumbs up either or answer PM's.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I am working off my phone, so it could be that if I get to my PC I would be able to start one

• dropoffyourkeylee
  • dropoffyourkeylee
  • jp1692
    jp1692
    WakeMeUp: I was once removed as a regular pioneer when the body of elders got a hold of an article I wrote for a regional magazine contained mild toilet humor. The offensive word in my article? "Toilet".

Bringing new meaning to the expression "potty mouth"!

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

I remember growing up as a little girl in the 1960's and singing a song or phrase which went: "Eenie meenie miny moe. Catch a n_______ by the toe. If he hollers, let him go. Eenie meenie miny moe."

I later heard my own children saying in the 1980's: "... catch a *tiger* by the toe..."

Back in the day, I never thought of the N word as "bad", it was popular vernacular. It was the intent behind the word which made it offensive.

• Giordano
    Giordano

There was definitely a lot of early racism in the WTBTS. There were a lot of ignorant smucks in the 20th century especially in the 1920's. Seeing this in print in 1994 is some what shocking. For me it tells me that as late as 1994 WT writers were out of touch. Using this quote put them back in time.

Supposing they quoted some one else calling Gays........ Fags, one word is already in use as acceptable....... BUT the other is certainly not. If someone called my uncle's Wops.......................

Thank you ILoveTTATT2 for calling attention to the WT's unnecessary use of a quote. To what end did it serve them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit