The "N" word in Watchtower Literature

by ILoveTTATT2 50 Replies latest members adult

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Posters such as freddo are correct in saying that the word was still in common use as the word for dark people right up to fairly recent times.

As a youngster I had a distant relative who had a black labrador . The dog's name was N***** . Nobody thought anything of it at the time. When I worked as a teenager in a decorating supplies shop a major paint company had a colour of paint called N***** Brown.

Times change. We cannot judge them then by the standards of today

• Simon
    Simon
    Which would be totally and completely unacceptable to report on any Watchtower publications?

I don't think using vulgarities / swear words and repeating them adds anything to the context ("person swears!" is hardly news) but use of a racial slur does as it adds some context, usually to the level of racism someone was experiencing in some situation.

I don't think this is the cross to crucify them on (ha ha).

There's always going to be a range of opinions on exactly when it's acceptable - personally, I find it a little petty when people say "the N word" instead of just saying the word (as long as it's in the context of reporting about it's use). If it truly is such a terrible word of such immense power that must never be spoken (like "Voldermort") then stop using it everywhere (rap songs etc...)

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

I find it a little petty when people say "the N word" instead of just saying the word (as long as it's in the context of reporting about it's use)

Agreed! When someone starts that ridiculous N word garbage I always ask them, "So, what is wrong with the word 'Now', or 'Never', or 'Naturally'," or whatever word that starts with "N" I can think of at the moment.

• zophar
    zophar

It is at the very least an interesting observation.

My first pioneer partner who was black, called me "Honky" at times. Racist? I guess, though he was always joking when he said it. But "Honky" doesn't have the same history as the N word. In fact, it didn't hurt at all when he said it. However, the N word, even joking undoubtedly causes pain to most Black people. Why not just be civil?

Again, I think ILoveTTATT2 has made a most interesting discovery. It was being used long after the time it should have been. If they considered it as bad as a curse word they would not have used it.

• cofty
    cofty
    It shows extreme racism to even allow the word to be printed in WT literature, imho - ILTTATT
    And yet you have used it multiple times in this thread. What's the difference? - Cofty
    Let me rephrase. It shows extreme racism by the WT writers to allow such a word to be printed in WT literature like it's nothing, but never print other words that are considered swears. It's extreme racism but at the same time subtle. - ILTTATT

But you chose to write the word multiple times in your first few posts in this thread and not just when you were quoting the WT.

So it's racism when they quote the word without redacting it but it's not racist of you to type the word multiple times when you could easily have avoided doing so.

How is that not a blatant contradiction?

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I agree with Steve2's comment at the start. There is nothing wrong with them using the word in the context as quoted. The word nigger is a kin to the word negro which means black. It is people's usage of it in a derogatory and insulting manner that made it a hated word.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

We have had a string of really stupid threads in the last few weeks. This being one of them.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    The word nigger is a kin to the word negro which means black. It is people's usage of it in a derogatory and insulting manner that made it a hated word.

Correct. The original use of the word was simply to imply a dark colour, hence so many animals of that colour named Nigger. Back in the day it was non-offensive, witness these scenes from The Dambusters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd-eYCoTJcw

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I think the word had less derogatory implications back then than it does now. Other books, newspapers, even movies of the time contained the word frequently.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I am not able to start a new topic. Is it just me?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit